Air Suspension (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
After having a very bad experience with simple air suspension I have put off purchasing units for the last 10 years.
My last experience with these quick fit units ended 4 miles after fitting and they simply fell off. They had been fitted with self tapping screws so a good job there.
After doing much research I kept coming up with the same name from fellow motorhomers, AS Air Suspension of Warrington. Not the cheapest but I have done cheap to my cost. Feeling confident I paid for the units at Pickering Show and last week had them fitted, properly.
The job was carried out in a very creditable manner with a very tidy workshop and very helpful staff. We left the vehicle at 9am and Catherine drove us to Warrington for a train to Liverpool. At 3pm we were collected and taken back to the van. Phil showed us the finished job before removing the vehicle from the pit, first class. I suggested they start a school for motorhome dealers regarding customer care and service, he passed on this one.
I hope this helps others decide on a reputable company that offers REAL customer care but doesn't brag about it. There phone number is 01925 241200.
Wiljoy:thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Wiljoy, how do you find it now? is there a noticeable difference on 5the road? I am thinkoing of having ABs fitted to our van, so any info would be a help.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi, Wiljoy, how do you find it now? is there a noticeable difference on 5the road? I am thinkoing of having ABs fitted to our van, so any info would be a help.

I too am considering so any user info would be handy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
After having a very bad experience with simple air suspension I have put off purchasing units for the last 10 years.
My last experience with these quick fit units ended 4 miles after fitting and they simply fell off. They had been fitted with self tapping screws so a good job there.
After doing much research I kept coming up with the same name from fellow motorhomers, AS Air Suspension of Warrington. Not the cheapest but I have done cheap to my cost. Feeling confident I paid for the units at Pickering Show and last week had them fitted, properly.
The job was carried out in a very creditable manner with a very tidy workshop and very helpful staff. We left the vehicle at 9am and Catherine drove us to Warrington for a train to Liverpool. At 3pm we were collected and taken back to the van. Phil showed us the finished job before removing the vehicle from the pit, first class. I suggested they start a school for motorhome dealers regarding customer care and service, he passed on this one.
I hope this helps others decide on a reputable company that offers REAL customer care but doesn't brag about it. There phone number is 01925 241200.

Maybe it's the Yorkshireman in me but what was the total cost ie buying the kit and having it fitted ..reason I ask is I have an Autocruise Startrail and in my mind it's a tad close to the deck..I haven't bottomed it yet but there us always a first time and I've toyed with the idea of having it fitted and I keep hearing about this company!!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hi Wiljoy, is there a big difference with the ride and handling? Love to know.

Rgds
Bill

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
we had it fitted on our elddis by the same people . first class service by them . and will recommend them to any one . we had it fitted as our elddis had very low ground clearance and when boarding ferries we nearly always bottomed out . :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
as some one said not the cheapest , but hey you get what you pay for :Blush:

thestoneroller

Free Member
Oct 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
newbee
Hi all
I asked the same questions on air suspension not to long ago, if you look on the tech/mech forum you will find some useful info on this subject.

chris:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Me too.Just rear units for now.Is it possible to build up to a fully auto system bit by bit?

ie Fronts later and then on-board compressor and control unit in the future?

charlie24

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Maryburgh, Ross shire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
AS Suspension are the kiddies. Great fitting service and aftersales. Transforms your van and worth every penny. Don't hesitate.

elliot kp

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
gibraltar
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
one year
hi there ,

graham from airide suspension in devon is another air suspension fitter to take note of.

they fitted the airide suspension to our L200 mitsubishi pick up in record time and did a first class job of it too.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
hi there ,

graham from airide suspension in devon is another air suspension fitter to take note of.

they fitted the airide suspension to our L200 mitsubishi pick up in record time and did a first class job of it too.

I asked Graham at GB Services to fit AB's to my Carioca 656 as I found the ride when being passed by lorries on the M25 to be unstable. What a difference it made, reduced oversteer, reduced body roll and made the whole experience driving the van more enjoyable. Would I have it fitted again? You damn right I would and by Graham. A first class service by expperts. They also supply and fit SOGS, but thats another story:Blush:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
hi there ,

That's who did ours (GB Services, Honiton). Super job. Brilliant product. Recommended.

John

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Some excellent recommendations here but no "Ball-Park" figures and what you got for your money.

I am seriously looking at a Full Front-Rear conversion for next year with possibly on-board control unit for leveling.:thumb:

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi, I fitted DriveRite (Firestone) air suspension to my last Camper and it made a huge difference to the handling, I have since traded up and have fitted another one even though the salesman at the camper showroom said it wasn't necessary on the newer vans. I fitted both units myself, very easy, about an hour in total, no drilling required. I find them great, big difference in handling especially on the way home from France with some wine on board.

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
I have fitted two Air Assist systems to different vans neither used self tapping screws and I am trying to recall how they could have been utilised. Both systems are fitted easily within two hours and although I am a retired engineer a person with basic mechanical apptitude could complete the task provided the individual can comprehend the instructions.

I have on both occasions decided to use a single air supply based upon the idea of if a cylinder fails it would be better for the van to settle on an even keel rather than be one side high.

Steve.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Guys.

What sort of cost/ special tools were involved please?

Steve (Wayfarer)...You mention both units.

Did you only do the rears?

I have on both occasions decided to use a single air supply based upon the idea of if a cylinder fails it would be better for the van to settle on an even keel rather than be one side high.

Steve.
Good Thinking....Something I hadn't considered.:Cool:

Last edited:

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Rear only, when I mentioned both units I meant both vans. No special tools, just a few metric spanners. Cost in Ireland was €375 + Vat and fitted myself. I also used only one air supply so pressure equalizes between both units. If you have full air loss the units act as a bump stop. Check this site.
http://www.driveriteltd.com/

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Rear only, when I mentioned both units I meant both vans. No special tools, just a few metric spanners. Cost in Ireland was €375 + Vat and fitted myself. I also used only one air supply so pressure equalizes between both units. If you have full air loss the units act as a bump stop. Check this site.
DriveRite - Air Suspensions

Many Thanks Pat....

Needless to say ....nothing's straightforward with mine ...but the site looks interesting.:thumb:

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
Fitted a Dunlop system from Marcle Leisure to my 1996 Hymer.If you are able to get underneath your motorhome and are reasonable with tools not too difficult on ducato chassis.Seperate air supply to each side but a single air supply for both sides, Pat sounds like a good idea and helps left right hight balance.
Sid

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
I have fitted both Firestone and Dunlop. Personally I prefered the air fittings and tube supplied with the Dunlop (Marcle) as these are mechanical screw fittings with a more flexible tube whereas firestone use Legris type push in fittings which are OK 99% of the time but on occasion you can get one that leaks also more care is required when preparing the tube which is nylon, larger bore and not so flexible.

No special tools required but axle stands are prefferable to house bricks. I know you would never trust a Jack alone when sitting with part of your anatomy under 3 ton of Van :)

Minor points I know.
Steve

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well.

I'm very surprised.They actually list my motor on this site.DriveRite - Air Suspensions

All brackets/fittings etc.Certainly given me a few ideas.

Might weld the brackets though.Will look at the pros and cons.

Need to raise the rear a little and stop.....the body roll.

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I would be very slow to weld them in place, especially if you want to switch them to a new van or do any maintenance on them. I went a bit "belt and braces" and used superglue nut lock and a second locknut on each bolt.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Hi all,

Let me get this right, I have air suss fitted and has 2 filling points poking out the grill.
Are you saying you can fit a pump to them and use them as i leveling system instead of jacks?

Cheers

Boo

wee shuey

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over 20 yrs yrs
freightliner-dodge-merc chassis

I would be happy to know if anyone here has fitted a suspension kit to the new freightliner dodge - mercedes chassis, as I bought a 2009 one recently and suffer from swaying side to side - even when just stepping into it . A lovely smooth ride - auto gearbox and about 20 mpg. - and I spoke to a guy at the show in May this year who had a modification done but I have lost his contact details - I have read the threads on here but the vehicle is 5.3 tons and although I fitted airrides on my last Hymer myself, I didnt find it much better after spending about £500 so I am rather cautious unless someone else with this type of vehicle can recommend that its a DEFINITE improvement - thanks - wee shuey

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I would be happy to know if anyone here has fitted a suspension kit to the new freightliner dodge - mercedes chassis, as I bought a 2009 one recently and suffer from swaying side to side - even when just stepping into it . A lovely smooth ride - auto gearbox and about 20 mpg. - and I spoke to a guy at the show in May this year who had a modification done but I have lost his contact details - I have read the threads on here but the vehicle is 5.3 tons and although I fitted airrides on my last Hymer myself, I didnt find it much better after spending about £500 so I am rather cautious unless someone else with this type of vehicle can recommend that its a DEFINITE improvement - thanks - wee shuey

Hi, Weeshuey, you might want to look at this I found
(google) SPRINTER-FORUM WARNING!!!! AIR HELPER SPRINGS CRUSH FRAME
don't want to cause alarm-it might be an isolated case.

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Don't be confused with the air suspension that is just screwed on. AS Air Suspension fit PROPER air kits that stay on the vehicle. Mine were specifically to fit an AlKo chassis.
As I said originally I went down the road of the cheaper units but they dropped off.
Best to have a proper job done for safety's sake alone.

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't be confused with the air suspension that is just screwed on. AS Air Suspension fit PROPER air kits that stay on the vehicle. Mine were specifically to fit an AlKo chassis.
As I said originally I went down the road of the cheaper units but they dropped off.
Best to have a proper job done for safety's sake alone.

DriveRite air suspension are not screwed on they are bolted on, are vehicle specific and have Original Equipment Manufacturers' (OEM) Approval along with both European and TUV Certification.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Driverite may be bolted on but when AS Suspension fitted a compressor to my Driverite system they found that the 2 sides weren't the same.

One side had a spacer. The other didn't. Closer examination showed traces of a weld from where the spacer had presumably broken off.

I think this must have happened when I met a Portuguese speed bump too fast ( faded to invisible markings ).

Only change in the suspension that I have noticed is slight leak on one side.

Still not confident that the system is strong enough so off to Warrington on Monday, weather permitting, to have AS Suspension system fitted to replace the Driverite system.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Please let us know how you get on?

You say there is a slight leak on one side of your existing system...

Isn't it just the valve/air line extension hose couplings?

Just a thought here but...Being rubber...do these units require replacement after so many years...and are they date coded accordingly?

BTW I would be fitting these myself and would have no intention of possibly transferring to another vehicle...So welding might be a possibility...shielding the rubber "Springs" in the process.

Steve.

Last edited:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't know where the leak was coming from. There's a valve for inflating on each side and I checked them for leaks but didn't find any.

After AS fitted a 12V compressor the pressures have stayed OK.

I find the onboard compressor means I change the pressures according to load, use etc. more often as it's so much easier.

Had to cancel fitting 'cos of the snow oop north. Now being fitted on Friday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back