Dell Inspiron re-set (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop that has been running very sluggishly.

Having done everything I can to improve matters, cleaning the disc, cleaning the registry and defragging etc I want to start again and reset to factory settings.

According to the instructions i should

Press the power button

Hit F8 repeatedly when the Dell logo appears and before the Windows logo appears.

This should take me into an "advanced boot" menu.

I should highlight " repair my computer" which will take to another menu where I can select "return to Dell factory settings" or similar words.

Now

I can get as far as highlighting "repair my computer" but, on hitting "return", Windows starts up normally and I cannot reach the reset option.

Am I doing something wrong?

Help!,

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Do you have the original Dell installation DVD?

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
try tapping f8 or f7 to get to out of box reset, on my old one is says tap F2 turned out to be F8,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
all well and good doing a factory reset but it will give you an outdated version of windows needing multiple updates

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I had a Dell Inspiron laptop which had issues caused by AVG anti virus software
It improved massively after removing it
Also it's worth vacuuming any dust from the vents underneath

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
all well and good doing a factory reset but it will give you an outdated version of windows needing multiple updates
Yes. Appreciated. But it is virtually unusable at present.

Although I have run virus checkers, malware removers etc. It is still slower than our old netbook despite having an i5 processor.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you tried a decent registry cleaner ?

I've used this one
Broken Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a Dell Inspiron laptop which had issues caused by AVG anti virus software
It improved massively after removing it
Also it's worth vacuuming any dust from the vents underneath
Same with Norton if its an older version.

Can suck resources faster than yer granny can suck eggs.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Usually with Dells there is a restore partition. Depending on your security levels etc you may be able to see it in Explorer/file manager, it'll say something like RECOVERY (D: ) If it's not there then the restore won't work and it will default back to boot Windows. ASC (Advanced System Care) do a free version that can fix a variety of issues.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have you tried a decent registry cleaner ?

I've used this one
Broken Link Removed
I have run Eusing Registry Cleaner regularly.

I am currently removing progs I no longer use. However, I still feel I would like to make a hard reset, but still no luck getting past the first menu.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Usually with Dells there is a restore partition. Depending on your security levels etc you may be able to see it in Explorer/file manager, it'll say something like RECOVERY (D: ) If it's not there then the restore won't work and it will default back to boot Windows. ASC (Advanced System Care) do a free version that can fix a variety of issues.
Can you expand on ASC?

I have a reluctance to rely on third party fixes but will now try anything that might work.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Vanman
I am not trying to restore but to make a hard reset. The restore function, while it works to restore the computer to a previous time, does not cure the problem.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Did you actually create the restore dvd,s if not can you still do that via the create recovery dvd programme? If you want a quick fix try running msconfig at the run command, just type in msconfig and enter.Under services check hide all microsoft services then click disable all under startup click disable all then apply and do a reboot.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Did you actually create the restore dvd,s if not can you still do that via the create recovery dvd programme? If you want a quick fix try running msconfig at the run command, just type in msconfig and enter.Under services check hide all microsoft services then click disable all under startup click disable all then apply and do a reboot.
I have some old restore DVDs .

When you say "a quick fix" what is the purpose of your suggestion?

Sorry! I have reached the limit of my understanding at present.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
@Vanman
I am not trying to restore but to make a hard reset. The restore function, while it works to restore the computer to a previous time, does not cure the problem.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post.

No, you didn't misunderstand but perhaps mine was poorly worded. I meant restore to factory settings. I would not recommend that most of the time anyway as the original drivers etc may not work with your current hardware set-up. As an interim solution you could try reinstalling Windows, that cures a lot of problems but you do need to have all your software disks and keys to re-install them afterwards (assuming you have a valid copy of Windows) always worth having one even if Windows is pre-installed.

However what I would do first is download this software and see if it can find and resolve your issues for you.

Advanced Systemcare

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Msconfig will let you stop unwanted programmes running on startup amongst other things.What I,m suggesting is to disable programmes that are hogging your resources.This method usually gives you a faster bootup.Also empty your recycle bin and check you have plenty of hard drive free space .

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Reactions: DBK

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
do you have skype, if so a tech will sort it out for £30 did my brothers the other day after windows corrupted all the files on a update, here the number 08006524940, don't pay anymore they want to try and get £100 out of you say no I will buy another laptop, thas what they did to my brother, I told him don't fall for that old con

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
correction its AVG internet security, but give them a ring a tech may well sort it for you

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Vanman
Have now downloaded Advanced System Care and will run it tomorrow after I have slept on the problem.

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you have (or can acquire) a Windows OS disk why not simply format the HDD then reinstall? That guarantees a fresh start.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
If you have (or can acquire) a Windows OS disk why not simply format the HDD then reinstall? That guarantees a fresh start.
That is what I am beginning to think will be the best option.

I am also looking through all my DVDs for any disc that may help.

After moving house they are still to be properly unpacked.(n)

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If the restore partition is gone then you will have the problem you are experiencing.

My recommendation is that you download a fresh windows ISO and install from that.

You don't mention which version of windows so I am guessing windows 7?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

If you are not on windows 7 let me know and I will link to the download.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If the restore partition is gone then you will have the problem you are experiencing.

My recommendation is that you download a fresh windows ISO and install from that.

You don't mention which version of windows so I am guessing windows 7?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

If you are not on windows 7 let me know and I will link to the download.
Good option. I forgot that ISOs are readily available.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
OK. I give up!:mad:

I have now removed virtually all the progs. on my hard drive. I can't find my "rescue" disc after moving home.

The PC is now usable but I think I have found the problem. I have one program that will not uninstall. Attempting to do so with M/S uninstall, Revo Uninstall and (10?) uninstall all lead to it opening multiple "install" windows. The only way to stop it is to do a forced close down. Task manager cannot control it.

Unless anyone has any ideas for a " super uninstaller" I will have to live with it.(n)

The suggestion by @Baileysbus for a keyboard for my iPad may be my favoured route.

Many thanks to all who have tried to help. I appreciate it!

However, life is too short to waste too much time on what is a minor problem in the whole scheme of things. (I lost my Mum two weeks ago).

Once again, thanks all.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back