Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've never taken the bus to the slopes in the winter but would really like to? We have snow chains and have driven in the snow although not needed the chains but never been to Europe for the winter.

Really like Jungfrau as great for both downhill and cross country.

I know there is lots of experience on the forum so looking for advice about road conditions, accessibility, etc. Thinking of going late Feb/early March. Planning a week on the slopes and a couple of days either side for travel as wont get more time off work unfortunately.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
In my experience it is easier than you fear.
They are so used to snow that the country just gets on with driving. In most years there is only a handful of serious snow downfalls, the rest of the time the roads will be essentially clear.
I wouldn't drive at dark and don't give yourself a massive days drive so you need to rush.
I'd strongly recommend SNOW tyres as well as chains.
Good to remember that alpine villages get deliveries of bread throughout the year and the kids get the bus to school most days.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Done it many times the driving is the easy bit roads are normally kept clear only ever used my chains twice.
The big issue is making sure your van is fully winterised. Many folks think they have a winterised van only to find out the hard way they're nowhere near winterised. Remember temps can get into minus 20s at night that can cause some real problems and damage.
Plenty of threads on getting your van ready and "motorhomeski" is a good site for information.
Good luck we'll be skiing in France again this year I reckon, with the van but nothing planned yet tends to be spur of the moment with us. (y)(y)

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Done it many times the driving is the easy bit roads are normally kept clear only ever used my chains twice.
The big issue is making sure your van is fully winterised. Many folks think they have a winterised van only to find out the hard way they're nowhere near winterised. Remember temps can get into minus 20s at night that can cause some real problems and damage.
Plenty of threads on getting your van ready and "motorhomeski" is a good site for information.
Good luck we'll be skiing in France again this year I reckon, with the van but nothing planned yet tends to be spur of the moment with us. (y)(y)
We are fully wintered thanks, fully insulated, heated tanks with auto switch if temp gets below certain temperature.
Where in France do you go? I assume it's easy enough to find space if you go spur of the moment too.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We are fully wintered thanks, fully insulated, heated tanks with auto switch if temp gets below certain temperature.
Where in France do you go? I assume it's easy enough to find space if you go spur of the moment too.
Our favourite destination is here >Link Removed<
We prefer to stay on the free aire at route du Mont Bisanne, 73620 Les Saisies, France. This is just round the corner from the only campsite in the area 'Le Grand Tetras'.
Pretty much Ski-in and out direct from the van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks @Imbiber that looks a great place for us as plenty of downhill but also great X country for me which isn't easy to find in France. Assume the Aires gets busy in ski season so is there a good day or time to make sure you get a place or is it pot luck?

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Allan, it's quite a small resort but does tend to get very busy round the school holiday periods (Xmas / New Year; February Half-Term; Easter), but even then we've managed to find a space. Other than that I would expect it to be easily accessible. I'd say Monday through Thursday would be good days to arrive and probably no later than mid-afternoon.

The paid for Aire in town, opposite the new swimming pool, fills up pretty quick but we prefer the free aire as previously mentioned. There is a free ski bus that stops right outside the aire so you can easily get into town and back for supplies if needed.

We prefer the route up from Sallanches (Last place for LPG) and the roads are generally clear and accessible.

It's a fairly high-up resort so does tend to be pretty snow sure.

Bon Ski!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
We went skiing for the first time this year, last week in March. We went to Venosc and stayed on Camp Du Moulin. Never saw any snow on the roads going there or coming home, and at only 900m high the site doesn't get particularly cold. A bubble whisks you up to des 2 Alpes for skiing. Probably going back next year.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We went skiing for the first time this year, last week in March. We went to Venosc and stayed on Camp Du Moulin. Never saw any snow on the roads going there or coming home, and at only 900m high the site doesn't get particularly cold. A bubble whisks you up to des 2 Alpes for skiing. Probably going back next year.
Thanks, Olley, I'll look at that too.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just remembered their is an aire at Les2
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/38520+Vénosc,+France/@45.0234249,6.1207824,393m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x478a0d405386ddc1:0x408ab2ae4be63a0!8m2!3d44.989349!4d6.115432
You can ski out and back if theirs enough snow. Late March when we went it was getting slushy although all the low level runs were still open, the free ski bus goes into the aire, its got water and dump not sure about leccy. Here's some pics.
Water and dump
IMG_20160401_155851_zpss7ds6qqu.jpg

The Aire
IMG_20160401_155844_zpsuqrmucid.jpg

From the ski bus
IMG_20160401_155804_zpsghjfqq56.jpg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Going to tignes this year, with my daughter and family. As last year we are only go for a week, and as I am the only driver I found it too much to get there and back in 9 days. Whereas with three of us sharing in the car, it will be much more relaxing and it should be possible to be there in a day, not two like in the rv,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back