DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Depends entirely on the time versus temperature. Low temps equal a short time before everything freezes. But at say zero or minus one it could last for much longer but it will still freeze eventually.

Which is of no practical help but I think the only safe thing to do is to drain everything if a freeze is forecast.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
In theory 0 degree C

In practice it takes a few days of sub zero tempretures to penetrate the van fully.
But don`t take a chance, use it or drain down fully for the winter :nod:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
more seriously does the spec of the MH claim anything temperature wise

and I guess it would depend on what you mean by freezing up

my toilet flush froze at -12C but nothing else was affected, apart from an almighty draft round the hab door

OP
OP
LOOSE WHEEL
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Fancy going away for Christmas just wondering how far I can go without
running into trouble.
Looked for info on net for auto trail but found nothing.
But there again my wife says I never look enough, can't see what's in from of my eyes.
Can you buy heaters for water tanks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
it is quite likely your water (clean) is inside already, so unless you like it really cold inside that will not be an issue

Biggest issue might be grey water freezing, we have a heated tank, but the outlet valve has still frozen

I would think the toilet might be the biggest risk being on the outside and fairly critical

But in reality if you keep the inside warm enough for you to use I doubt it will freeze, anyway we haven't had a decent hard winter in the UK for many years, go for it, see what happens, but do report back :)(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fancy going away for Christmas just wondering how far I can go without
running into trouble.
Looked for info on net for auto trail but found nothing.
But there again my wife says I never look enough, can't see what's in from of my eyes.
Can you buy heaters for water tanks.

If you're using the van then, assuming you use the heating, it shouldn't get cold enough to cause you issues. It would get too cold for you to sleep in it before anything froze up.

It's when you leave it parked up for a long period and don't drain down that you're likely to have a problem.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sometimes it's because the pipework itself freezes being ran outside underneath the van.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sue is right.
In UK conditions, the pipes underneath will be the problem long before any of the tanks.
If the freezing conditions are persistent, then everything will freeze eventually. I am assuming all your water system is underslung rather than inside the van.

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
If the only tank under the van is the waste tank you can add some anti freeze to the tank after each dissposal to prevent freezing!

Reactions: DBK

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
If the only tank under the van is the waste tank you can add some anti freeze to the tank after each dissposal to prevent freezing!

Sorry but that doesn't work.

Simply put...the freezing takes place even before it makes it to the tank. Also it must be something to do with vacant space un like in a car coolant system but that's a guess..

I have tried and experimented on things like this for many years. I even once used a ratio of 40% anti freeze in the tank and it still froze... (please bare in mind I'm talking ski resort winter in British van).

The only way to ensure your waste does not freeze is to ensure its either heated between floors or that its actually heaten by heating elements. If you do not have these fitted you can find them via cak tanks.
Fresh water is much the same ..needs a defrost element unless your tank is inside the van.

As stated above anything else will depend on your pipe work and where its placed. I've seen some terribly built brit and euro vans that are described as winterized but wouldn't take theme out on an icy day...

But noone can answer the OP past because there are too many permeables ..
It's possible your van could freeze whilst you sleep only for you to wake up and not know it's happened... much will depend on length of time at sub 0 and even how long your water runs for as in normal circumstances running water won't freeze...so leaving tie waste open and draining will prevent that from freezing.. unless you go to real man territory like a few of us on here @jonandshell etc whereby if you spit or cry it freezes

If your plan is for a sharp frosty winter in the UK you would generally be OK unless it was an extreme one. Just make sure you have bottled water and nothing else will matter. .

My toilet has never froze though?

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
We use ours throughout the winter.I never leave waste tap closed.A bucket under to catch waste water.We have had.temperatures of -10 in Derbyshire.Never had a problem.I saw quite a few vans with waste tank frozen.Lots with electric fan heaters underneath van trying to thaw out.Not a good Idea.As long as you have heating on you shouldn't have any problems.Get out and try it.Winter is a great time of year,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The Cheyene 696g we used to have had tanks outside so anything below freezing you need to be careful.

OP
OP
LOOSE WHEEL
Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
Tanks are under nerth, fresh in inserlated
Except for pipes going into and out of tanks all pipes run inside of van
So I recon if I inserlate everything underneath and leve heating on should be ok.
Thanks for info
Andy

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
how much are water tank heaters ? for self install