LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Another beautiful day in Sicily
Visited Syracuse this morning had to go to the local market for fruit n veg.
Poor old Archimedes doesn't look too bad for his age not sure about the suntan though could be a problem in a few years
IMAG0231.jpg
IMAG0229_BURST002_COVER.jpg
IMAG0230.jpg

Last edited:

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Lovely!

Can you still stay on the harbour there? We stayed there on New Year's Eve about 8 years ago and loved the place. Lovely to see it again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You can't beat the colour of that sky can you.

Love it.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Looks very nice,especially as there are no flashy go faster boats just what seem to be working boats (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Great stuff, I hadn't realised Archimedes had invented the satellite dish. :)

On a more serious note, how did you get there, ferry from Genoa or did you drive down Italy?

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Great stuff, I hadn't realised Archimedes had invented the satellite dish. :)

On a more serious note, how did you get there, ferry from Genoa or did you drive down Italy?

Drove all the way then ferry from Villa San Giovanni to Messina.Catch same ferry back Tuesday am got 4 days to get back to Gravelines or 5 if needed.
Only a few days left now, currently camped here by Catania. Planned to ride to Etna today but looks like the weather gods are against us. First bad weather in 6 weeks

IMAG0233.jpg

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Lovely!

Can you still stay on the harbour there? We stayed there on New Year's Eve about 8 years ago and loved the place. Lovely to see it again.
Yeah a few vans there yesterday but it is very run down graffiti and litter n broken bottles everywhere such a shame but unfortunately that applies to all of Sicily.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We love Sicily, the place, the people, the food.
I went there first time on a cruise ship many years ago, stopped for the day in Messina, loved it, swore to myself I would return one day.
Big mistake!, went last year stayed in a fantastic hotel in Taormina as we didn't have a moho, Took OH to Messina for the day and I nearly cried!, the whole place down by the docks was overgrown, graffiti everywhere, litter strewn everywhere, marble bench tops had been stolen, trees unkempt and overgrown, we were told it was because of the austerity measures in recent years, needless to say the cruise ships don't stop at Messina anymore, such a shame.
However the rest of the island along the shore line is great, you must take the all day boat trip from Millazo out to the islands of Lipari, then onto Panaria, then Stromboli early evening to watch the volcano erupting, fantastic day out.
We hope to take new MH there as soon as we can...enjoy everyone its a long drive but well worth it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What is Sicily like around Easter time and how long would it take to see the main places of interest?

We have friends who are looking to explore Italy in a hired mh for around 10 days next Easter. I guess that Sicily would be a good introduction to Italy and give time to enjoy the mh... Would campsites be open?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What is Sicily like around Easter time and how long would it take to see the main places of interest?

We have friends who are looking to explore Italy in a hired mh for around 10 days next Easter. I guess that Sicily would be a good introduction to Italy and give time to enjoy the mh... Would campsites be open?
If you draw a line from say Bristol to Southampton the bit of the south west you have made is slightly smaller than Sicily. This might help visualise how big Sicily is and therefore how long you stay there depends on what you want to miss out. If your friends only have a few days I am not sure they could do much other than a quick trip to Etna and a drive-by glimpse of a temple or two. :) The ACSI book suggests there should be plenty of campsites open from the beginning of April but there are sites open all year round. Easter itself could be busy and sites more expensive but a good time for the religious festivals I guess.
We're setting off for Sicily next week and my planning at the moment will have us in the island for at least 4 weeks and possibly up to 6. :)
There is a lot to see in the toe of Italy (Calabria), for example Tropea, which I plan to stop at - it has a good aire apparently. If you friends only have 10 days then unless they want to spend all their time driving they might be better staying close to wherever they are collecting the MH. There aren't many bits of Italy without something to see. :)

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you draw a line from say Bristol to Southampton the bit of the south west you have made is slightly smaller than Sicily. This might help visualise how big Sicily is and therefore how long you stay there depends on what you want to miss out. If your friends only have a few days I am not sure they could do much other than a quick trip to Etna and a drive-by glimpse of a temple or two. :) The ACSI book suggests there should be plenty of campsites open from the beginning of April but there are sites open all year round. Easter itself could be busy and sites more expensive but a good time for the religious festivals I guess.
We're setting off for Sicily next week and my planning at the moment will have us in the island for at least 4 weeks and possibly up to 6. :)
There is a lot to see in the toe of Italy (Calabria), for example Tropea, which I plan to stop at - it has a good aire apparently. If you friends only have 10 days then unless they want to spend all their time driving they might be better staying close to wherever they are collecting the MH. There aren't many bits of Italy without something to see. :)

Look forward to hearing about your travels,,BUSBY,,

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
We love Sicily, the place, the people, the food.
I went there first time on a cruise ship many years ago, stopped for the day in Messina, loved it, swore to myself I would return one day.
Big mistake!, went last year stayed in a fantastic hotel in Taormina as we didn't have a moho, Took OH to Messina for the day and I nearly cried!, the whole place down by the docks was overgrown, graffiti everywhere, litter strewn everywhere, marble bench tops had been stolen, trees unkempt and overgrown, we were told it was because of the austerity measures in recent years, needless to say the cruise ships don't stop at Messina anymore, such a shame.
However the rest of the island along the shore line is great, you must take the all day boat trip from Millazo out to the islands of Lipari, then onto Panaria, then Stromboli early evening to watch the volcano erupting, fantastic day out.
We hope to take new MH there as soon as we can...enjoy everyone its a long drive but well worth it.
We also love Sicily and all the reasons you mentioned. We are fans of Montalbano (TV series on BBC 4 with subtitles set there) and we always looked at the scenery and was amazed at what we saw. We have been twice but never with a motorhome and I would think it could be an interesting challenge driving there, but everyone else seems to manages, so should not be a problem
We were in May and maybe slightly off the beaten track and had no difficulty getting accommodation and the season hadn't started properly for them. Easter might be different perhaps.
We will go back again , but it will be fly drive again and will wait till retired till we take the motorhome.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back