Rally Chat buying an x rental? (1 Viewer)

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Hi please need help. Has anyone brought am x rental van? We are thinking of buying one from company in,London. They are on,auto trader. 2016 model going at a very good price. It's our first van so we want to,get it right. Nervous about x rental. Done a chef and it still has money owing on it. Dealer says he will pay it off a week before we pick it up.

Any advice please regards Sharon. New to this site but look see for two,years.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Probably needs to me moved under another topic heading..... welcome on board by the way:welcome3:

For what it's worth, the van would have been used by a whole succession of people who not only don't care about what they are driving but know very little about it. It will almost certainly have been very heavily used and abused, driven into trees on campsites ( even experienced people can reverse into a tree branch), had repairs botched to get ready for next hireetc., and unless it is very, very cheap and gets a thorough overhaul/habitation check, steer well clear. Hire vehicles are usually at the low budget end of the market and frequently specially bought. Caveat emptor. You might get a good one but probably won't. Better to get an old, better specced and better looked after vehicle for the same price

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Welcome to the Fun.

I consider myself to be one of the more positive, glass always half full, risk taking Funsters but I would never, ever consider buying an ex rental... ever.

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Might just have been well looked after.
At least you know its ex hire.
Make sure its paid off before you part wihe any money.
You just might get a bargain.
Inspect it dont pay if all faults are not rectified.

I dont see a problem with ex hire.
Condition is more important IMO

Welcome to Fun

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
2016 though, can't have done a lot if it's been out every day

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our first van was ex-hire (but we were sold it as a private sale and not told) it was fine!!. Bought at a good price and got a good trade in on our next one. At least they have told you its ex-hire I would have a good look around it and as it sounds like they are being honest ask about accident dammage internal repairs etc.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
I have had 2 ex-rental MHs and my experience was positive.

The first was a 1 year old Elddis from Brownhills, they were selling on behalf of a local company that did rental. I got it for a good price with a good trade-in against my PVC. It was in very good condition inside and out, slightly higher mileage than a private-owned one would have been. I had no trouble with it during ownership and had no problem trading it in when I wanted a change.

The second was a 3 year old Hymer which had been well used, had some marks on the bodywork and dings in the table. I got it again at a very good price and was not too worried about the cosmetic condition as I knew I was likely to scrape it on trees in campsites etc as someone mentioned in a post above. I kept this MH 7 years and sold it for the same price that I paid for it. I had no issues in the years I had it other than the maintenance items one would expect.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
We have just got our second van . We bough it from Brownhills . We have had 6 things go on us the last thing cost £2.000.00 to re pair SO IF ITS X HIRE will they give u a warranty and I'm not talking six days
Brownhills are VERY GOOD NOW. have a look at there's . They do look after you.
They have us .

OP
OP
mark and sharon

mark and sharon

Free Member
Apr 10, 2015
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
Sun seeker
Exp
a newbie
Wow thank you guys I really appreciate you taking time to respond. It is a mine field out there regarding motorhomes. It seems too good a price! 2016 sunlight t58 only 7k on the clock. In excellent condition for 33k. It's so much money to get it wrong.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
One thing to be careful of is that a lot of insurers won't touch ex rental vans. You have to declare it as a material fact otherwise if you make a claim and they find out they won't pay. Check with your insurers first is the motto.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Wow thank you guys I really appreciate you taking time to respond. It is a mine field out there regarding motorhomes. It seems too good a price! 2016 sunlight t58 only 7k on the clock. In excellent condition for 33k. It's so much money to get it wrong.
Well at least it is a decent van. sunlight is one of the Detlheffs brands

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
7k 2016 ex rental money owing
Nothing adds up with this vehicle
It too new to be ex anything
It too low a milage for ex rental
These vehicles are usually leased not finananced
MHO Walk away backwards !!!

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I rented a van before buying. It was less than 3 years old but looked like 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, it was clean and everything worked but it looked a lot older than its year. You are looking at a circa £50K Moho under 6 months old selling for £33K and it still has outstanding finance. It would need to have been hired out every day for around £85 to cover that difference never mind the finance cost. Not too sure what is happening there, just be careful. Good luck(y)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I rented a van before buying. It was less than 3 years old but looked like 10 years old. Don't get me wrong, it was clean and everything worked but it looked a lot older than its year. You are looking at a circa £50K Moho under 6 months old selling for £33K and it still has outstanding finance. It would need to have been hired out every day for around £85 to cover that difference never mind the finance cost. Not too sure what is happening there, just be careful. Good luck(y)
Good point 6 months, 7k miles, £17k depreciation. Doesn't add up. At all.

Either it's the bargain of the year, had major damage with insurance payout or it's a lemon and they are offloading it

Mechanical inspection and hab tests required, full HPI check and even then you could be left with problems. Rings alarm bells with me, too

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could biy a brand new one in Germany for the same price importing is easy.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
I was going to post but @Geo ,post 13, covered everything i was thinking. Especially the money owing bit.
Im with @Lenny HB look at the deals in Germany .

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I don't know if @mark and sharon have ever attended a music festival and observed how hire vehicles are treated..
Generally not great, occasionally downright abused.
Simple things like running batteries to zero, forcing windows closed, being driven badly or towed on and off muddy fields, to thoughtless acts like walking/dancing all over roofs, to awnings being flipped over, to overflowing cassettes - Imagine that every weekend over a summer !
It's not a pretty sight, most of these vans are under a couple of years old too.

Having said that, attractively priced ex hire vans regularly come up for sale. If you know what you're doing (perhaps with a lot of motorhome experience) you could buy cheap and keep for a few years, selling on for very little loss.
Ebay often has 5,6,7 yr old vans for sale at 'reasonable' prices, with the vendors rarely, if ever mentioning the vans history.
They appear to sell quickly (unsuspecting punters, newish vans) so it's certainly one way of buying/selling/owning a motorhome...

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our ex hire was 3 yrs old 38k miles seems a lot more typical the van in question sounds too good to be true at 7k miles if I rented it out for a week I would want to travel a bit!!. It could be a company in difficulty selling cheap and a bargain or dodgy!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back