Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Having had our first motorhome for just about a month I thought I would jot down a few findings of ours and useful information received from this forum, which is a great source.

This list is by no means definitive or in any order and very much just as we have found but hopefully there will be at least some advice and if nothing else elements and points to think of if only to ignore or discount.

1.Layout – consider carefully. We only have a dinette for living in and that for us is a mistake. Next time we will go for a semi integrated (cab seats swivel to form part of living area) maybe something like a Burstner Ixeo or Rapido 7FF
2.7m length I like and find easy to drive manoeuvre etc
3.Garage or no garage – we went for the bed over garage thinking we needed the space under. Actually seemingly unless you are going to have a scooter or bicycles in it then we have not found a garage necessary. As such consider the ladder element to the bed it is horses for courses but we would now go for a fixed low side rear bed as the storage under would be sufficient and no ladder to climb, just as well the dinette makes up into a bed.
4.We have a 4000kg Gross Vehicle weight which gives us 960kg of payload, total weight at the moment is 3580kg in future I would always have a 4000kg MH to give us the cushion of payload.
5.Cab aircon next time and rear vents that can be left open when driving – we have dogs
6.Buy loads of non slip matting it is fantastic keeps everything in place wouldn’t be without it
7.For when on Electric Hook Up EHU we have bought a De Longhi ICM2B Coffee Machine from Argos £19.59 small and very good also the coffee jug is a firm fit for when it is in the cupboard for travelling it stays put
8.Also from Argos we bought an oil filled radiator on advice from the this site - Value Mini 800w Oil Filled Radiator £24.99 again works a treat thermostat controlled small and perfect.
9.Someone from this site advised to have as many lengths of hose and adaptors as possible, so true, we have a numerous amount of adaptors and a long flat food quality hose but will be buying a curly hose as well, it is a pain to keep unreeling the full length hose especially when you are close to the tap. I also find filling up through the outside filler a pain so put the hose through the window and fill the tank up from the top.
10.We have a Peugeot Boxer based vehicle – 2 best buys were headlight protectors and wind deflectors for opening windows – don’t buy from Peugeot save a fortune by buying on Ebay.
11.Also bought while in France a truckers dash tray that suckers to the windscreen and rests on the dash, brilliant buy so handy.
12.In addition sheepskin seat covers for the 2 front seats perfect addition. Very comfortable Link Removed
13.Sat Nav have had a tom tom for years and now bought a Snooper Ventura s7000 brilliant large screen, enter the size of your MH for low bridges etc (although not such a big deal with a 7m MH and with the ACSI campsite list it is very good also if you are waiting at the ferry or Tunnel etc the built in Digital TV is very handy.
14.Our dealer Marquis fitted an AVTEX 12v al in one TV into the MH another great piece of kit, freeview, DVD etc built in works very well and excellent clarity of picture. I would choose as first option again
15.They also fitted a Solar panel and Gaslow refillable gas bottles both I would consider as being essential
16.Folding plastic crates for the storage locker and piece of old carpet under keeps everything contained and still.
17.I prefer to top up water as I go some say only fill up what you need due to fuel economy.
18.We travelled to France stayed some nights in Motorway service stations refrigerated trucks are very noisy, stayed at the Calais Aire, perfect go for the Aires
19.I will be fitting a rear view camera, cruise control and sat dome.

So far these are the main things I could pass on if I am teaching people to suck eggs etc I apologise but I hope it helps.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well done Toffs-G I am sure some people will find your findings useful.:thumb:
Best bit of advise I can give is make the print BIGGER MY EYES ARE NOT AS GOOD THESE DAYS :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
TERRY

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Best bit of advise I can give is make the print BIGGER MY EYES ARE NOT AS GOOD THESE DAYS :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
TERRY

:ROFLMAO:oops sorted

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

5.Cab aircon next time

buying a curly hose as well, it is a pain to keep unreeling the full length hose especially when you are close to the tap.
15.They also fitted a Solar panel

+1 for the cab aircon
Thought about a bit of curly hose,but decided on 5mtrs of flat-takes up less space and no prob to pack away.
Solar panel and 2nd Leisure batt.being fitted soon

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
1.Layout – consider carefully. We only have a dinette for living in

Our only regret too. I made it very much better by fitting a swivel on the driver's seat. It's made a huge improvement.

On a small MH it's probably the biggest area of compromise. Those with nice lounging space pay in other ways, like making the beds up every night or losing kitchen space.

Then I look longingly at long MHs and think of the limitations that imposes, it's all a trade off. What would be really excellent is a short MH with a slide out.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Item 18 motorway stop overs
No
No
No
No
No
ask me im an expert at being robbed:Doh:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
TERRY

Have you tried Control+ on your browser, is there a VIEW menu ?

Upvote 0

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Our only regret too. I made it very much better by fitting a swivel on the driver's seat. It's made a huge improvement.

On a small MH it's probably the biggest area of compromise. Those with nice lounging space pay in other ways, like making the beds up every night or losing kitchen space.

Then I look longingly at long MHs and think of the limitations that imposes, it's all a trade off. What would be really excellent is a short MH with a slide out.

Thats were you hit the nail on the head

Jim
:Smile:

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
bloody good stuff !! said:
10.We have a Peugeot Boxer based vehicle – 2 best buys were headlight protectors and wind deflectors for opening windows – don’t buy from Peugeot save a fortune by buying on Ebay.

Do they quiet things down ? We have an 07 prefacelift boxer and it really is darned noisy ! ( oh and for the pedants out there, yes I DO mean the wind deflectors !! LOL !!! )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009

I know what you mean

Good idea about the swivel I reckon I will do that.

However I have now been looking at a 26ft RV with slide out, very very tempting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Item 18 motorway stop overs
No
No
No
No
No
ask me im an expert at being robbed:Doh:
What happened?

I guess we must have been lucky then, will take the advice and avoid in future, We decided to because there were 4 other MH's on the 1st night. I have to say having stayed at the Calais Aire on the last night it was so much nicer and quieter that Aire's would be our first choice in future

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back