Fiat Ducato rear spring buffers (1 Viewer)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
WARNING.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful, in theory you just tap the casing and the thing unscrews from the chassis.
HOWEVER.. As I found out when fitting my air suspension, the bolt goes into a captive nut that is welded to the chassis and also inside a channel where you cant get into with a spanner.. Outcome, if the nut shears off you have a right game..
Both of mine did and had to go to local garage, luckily they did them for me and I carried on to fit the suspension. But with the nut no longer fitted to the chassis it made the job a little more awkward.
The guy, i found out later, does a lot of motorhome work for a dealer close to us in Cannock and says he gets this a lot..

It is possible to just pull out the rubber section and refit with the use of a flat scredriver, took mine in and out no problem.
You may find some people have these sat around in their garages as they take them off when fitting air suspension..

Good luck..
That's a beer you owe me when i get to Beni .. ;)

If you only want to change the rubbers i can go get my old ones if he still has them.. Coming to Lincoln tomorrow if your going..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
This is them...they're rotten to the core!

One has the number 45 next to a symbol of some sorts, the other has 50. They both have...
EKT >PUR< as well.

I sprayed liberally with easing oil then set about then with a hammer and chisel! That was BEFORE I had read Steve's @tonka post! Must have been lucky!

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1215.jpg
    IMG_1215.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 11

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well done :)

I wish mine had come off like that... Would have saved me £60 and load of time..
Yes, they look a bit knacked...!!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
As long as you are not depending on them for the suspension.
They shouldn't be touching under normal circumstances if the suspension is in good condition

Surely you are depending on them for the suspension? In the event that I was to hit a big dip in the road and the back end went down they would help prevent a broken leaf spring.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Surely you are depending on them for the suspension? In the event that I was to hit a big dip in the road and the back end went down they would help prevent a broken leaf spring.

Well yes of course -- but so many M/H's are so overloaded or the suspension is so knackered they are running on them:Eeek:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
IMG_1342.JPG
Got 2 look same but ext 29 and ext 30
I don't have a clue what that means but they came off a 2007 ducato 3.5 ton
Yours look knackered suggesting weak rear springs or constant overloading
Both reasons why I fitted air suspension hence having 2 buffers spare
If we can work out how to collect them there yours
In true Yorkshire style for a pint when next we meet

Just a thought I will be passing junction 28 M1 this Sunday night around 8pm

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
View attachment 125422 Got 2 look same but ext 29 and ext 30
I don't have a clue what that means but they came off a 2007 ducato 3.5 ton
Yours look knackered suggesting weak rear springs or constant overloading
Both reasons why I fitted air suspension hence having 2 buffers spare
If we can work out how to collect them there yours
In true Yorkshire style for a pint when next we meet

Just a thought I will be passing junction 28 M1 this Sunday night around 8pm

Nice offer thanks Peter...They are looking at circa 20 quid each on eBay so I would make it worth your trouble with pleasure. These measure 130mm from the base plate where it would contact the chassis, not sure on thread size though.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
@Dave and Ginny If you already have these taken off why not look at air suspension..
Your half way there...

I've thought about it in the past Steve, does it really improve the handling? She does role a bit on the round a bouts etc. They do look pretty easy to fit! Ginny has already seen the clapped out ones so I'm halfway there in persuading her as well!

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My 2012 Ducati chassis was definitely improved by fitting air suspension. Always felt I was driving to the scene of the accident before.

Ps: I have a set of bump stops off that vehicle if any good but in Spain till mid November. There yours if wanted

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I've thought about it in the past Steve, does it really improve the handling? She does role a bit on the round a bouts etc. They do look pretty easy to fit! Ginny has already seen the clapped out ones so I'm halfway there in persuading her as well!
Do it best thing ever differance is well worth having
Better cornering
Less side roll in wind
Less squeak from poxy crap designed back springs it does my bloody head in
And I my view better loading on axles (wait for it no alls feel free to doubt )
You can use them to assist in leveling
Easyer to upgrade weight to say 3.5 to 3.85 ton
And what no ones suggested yet easer to change rear tires in event of puncture

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Nice offer thanks Peter...They are looking at circa 20 quid each on eBay so I would make it worth your trouble with pleasure. These measure 130mm from the base plate where it would contact the chassis, not sure on thread size though.
A pint when we meet is enough for something that would have ended up in bin on my next clear out
Bumpers are 130 top to bottom excluding bolt
Thread is 10 mil

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I quite fancy the Air Suspension and feel quite happy about fitting it. My only concern is getting kit delivered before MOT next Wednesday so I can get it fitted. The clapped out thing I currently have might well cause a failure. I've sent message to ebayer to see if I can pay extra for next day delivery.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000

I only fitted mine as i needed to lift the back end.. With long overhang it's been close a few times..
Never expected to improve handling as this van has a wider track than my previous 2005 one, however went up to N Wales just after fitting and I did comment to Irene a few times that body roll felt a lot better in bends and roundabouts (y)

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I've decided to order the air suspension on the sound advice of Tonka! It does look easy to fit and it will mean I can go faster around those Spanish round-a-bouts ;). I may have to put the old ones on for the MOT if it doesn't arrive on time...but hopefully it will by Tuesday as I usually find most eBayers I've used do better than the expected delivery dates!

@Peter & Elaine, thanks for your offer but don't need to interrupt your travels home now. I'll still buy you a beer when we cross paths though (y).

Just goes to show...when you can't find anything else to repair, alter, improve upon or change for the sake of change....then just get under your motorhome to find something to spend money on :D.

So I'll carry on with my chassis painting now!

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
WARNING.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful, in theory you just tap the casing and the thing unscrews from the chassis.
HOWEVER.. As I found out when fitting my air suspension, the bolt goes into a captive nut that is welded to the chassis and also inside a channel where you cant get into with a spanner.. Outcome, if the nut shears off you have a right game..
Both of mine did and had to go to local garage, luckily they did them for me and I carried on to fit the suspension. But with the nut no longer fitted to the chassis it made the job a little more awkward.
The guy, i found out later, does a lot of motorhome work for a dealer close to us in Cannock and says he gets this a lot..

It is possible to just pull out the rubber section and refit with the use of a flat scredriver, took mine in and out no problem.

Just wanted to say thanks for your advice. I finally got around to changing the spring assisters on my Doblo today and they're the same fitting. I remembered your post, and after finding that the casing wouldn't budge decided to just replace the rubber parts. Fitting the new ones into the old stuck casings was the toughest bit, but I finally got it done with a screwdriver and some grease (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back