LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We're here in sunny and peaceful Orgiva until about 30th March. Beautiful mountain setting but with lots of warmth. If you've read Chris Stewart's books ( Driving Over Lemons etc) you'll know where we are.
Anyone else here or coming?

After 5 months in Camping Pinar San Jose we're slowly heading north - need to be back in UK for the Thetford Bash at the end of May - no pressure! ;-) seems the RexFactor band need a drummer so needs must ;-)

Hope to see some of you en route!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We stayed a couple of nights further up at Pitres in 2014, amazing area but probably a bit cool up there at the moment. Great walking there.

A typical Alpujarra house. The flat roofs are made from flat stones laid over timbers.

PA140345-enhanced.jpg

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
It's lovely and warm! 20c today and sunny.
We've been here every year since 2008 - usually about this time - never disappointed :)
Plenty of room although I wouldn't recommend bringing a 38ft Rv ;-) Although it has been done in the past!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask about Orgiva and access. I'd love to visit sometime soon, Can anyone tell me how mountainous it is around this area and if it's a steep climb to Orgiva itself? I know it's on the foothills of the Sierra Nevada but I'm not sure quite how high up!

Can anyone give me any info?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lovely area and not far from lanjaron the place famous for its water.
not so many teepees there now but it was famous for ther hippy type to lve there.
its not a problem to get there by road and its not far from the dragon fest place.
it can be very dusty in orgiva but you cope.
we take trucks through that area . even better to the east and up through the point de ragua. ideally done late march . you follow the snow plough.
llok in a book shop for a mapamax map book then go up the pass and on to cazorla national park take the forest road about 5 km north of cuenca .. we do it often . its great . go slow and enjoy the drive .
but the route around al pujarras is ok .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask about Orgiva and access. I'd love to visit sometime soon, Can anyone tell me how mountainous it is around this area and if it's a steep climb to Orgiva itself? I know it's on the foothills of the Sierra Nevada but I'm not sure quite how high up!

Can anyone give me any info?

@PenelopePitstop :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Orgiva isn't very high up and the road is fine from what I remember. We went up to Pitres and stayed at the Balcon de Pitres campsite, which has a steep access road. There's an even higher campsite at Trevelez but we didn't get that far. We saw big coaches at Pitres and the road up there isn't very steep but some of the bends were single track - but no problem as these sections were just on the bends and you could see what was coming the other way.

The villages in the Alpujarras are worth exploring.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
As DBK says, Orgiva is not at a high altitude at all and access is easy. I have also driven up to Trevelez in my old wagon with absolutely no problem. Don't hesitate about exploring the area.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
It is the most beautiful part of the world. I went on a walking holiday with my wife around the Carpenteria area. To they day I remember picking and eating fresh figs and mulberries strait from the trees and drinking the sparkling fresh cold water from the mountain springs. This was in late September - happy memories. Oh yes, we also went onto Granada and the Alhambra Palace - magnificent!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
It is the most beautiful part of the world. I went on a walking holiday with my wife around the Carpenteria area. To they day I remember picking and eating fresh figs and mulberries strait from the trees and drinking the sparkling fresh cold water from the mountain springs. This was in late September - happy memories. Oh yes, we also went onto Granada and the Alhambra Palace - magnificent!

You've made me want to go there!

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
You've made me want to go there!

And me! Oh yes, I was going anyway. :)

Thanks all. I'm starting off my trip this time in Portugal but I've never really enjoyed the parts of Spain I've been to in the past. This trip I really want to get out there and see something different. This area sounds just what I've been waiting for. Now, all I've got to do is drag my ass out of Portugal! :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We're here in sunny and peaceful Orgiva until about 30th March. Beautiful mountain setting but with lots of warmth. If you've read Chris Stewart's books ( Driving Over Lemons etc) you'll know where we are.
Missed this first time round Marie & Rex - but I was looking it up only a couple of days ago. Might pick your brains at Lincoln!!

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
We were at Orgiva this year on the way back to UK from Cabo de Gata, Sierra Espuna and Sierra Maria Natural Parks and went for the walking it offers. We were quite disappointed with Orgiva and didn't bother with the campsite higher up at Trevelez.

In February, the campsite at the north eastern end of Orgiva was shut and we stayed at the one at the south eastern end of the town.

We thought that from what we saw of the area, it wasn't a patch on where we'd been. Maybe we didn't go to the right bits?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We've had 3 or 4 holidays in the Alpujarras. Beautiful "white villages", wonderful trails. Absolutely loved the area. Maybe it's more difficult to find the right spots in a moho? - we only used horses, buses, and walking.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We were at Orgiva this year on the way back to UK from Cabo de Gata, Sierra Espuna and Sierra Maria Natural Parks and went for the walking it offers. We were quite disappointed with Orgiva and didn't bother with the campsite higher up at Trevelez.

In February, the campsite at the north eastern end of Orgiva was shut and we stayed at the one at the south eastern end of the town.

We thought that from what we saw of the area, it wasn't a patch on where we'd been. Maybe we didn't go to the right bits?
Orgiva is down in the valley, to see the "High Alpujarra" you need, as the name suggests :) go higher, where there is good, though at time strenuous walking, often amongst largely abandoned terraces.

PA140356-enhanced.jpg

The nearest village in the shot below is Bubion, beyond that Capileira. This was in October and we had excellent weather.

PA150376-enhanced.jpg

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I agree with Hagstrom. Much preferred Sierra Espuna and Guejar Sierra which is on the north side of the Sierra Nevada and Extremadura. In fact, and I'm biased, for sheer beauty and grandeur the Highlands of Scotland can't be beaten. Now, if only we had the weather. But then, all those who I speak to who come from hot climates like our cooler, wetter weather.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
every where as nice scenery .
round here is fantastic , i had a two hour ride out today lovely views over the st austell bay . then across moorland then views across newquay and the north coast.
i think most scenery is fantastic in all the places i,ve been . but all very different .
cant leave the village i live in with out getting splendid scenery . yet many dont see it or look for it.
can anywhere be beaten or other scenery be better . many in all places dont see it .
be glad you can , be happy.

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
lovely area and not far from lanjaron the place famous for its water.
not so many teepees there now but it was famous for ther hippy type to lve there.
its not a problem to get there by road and its not far from the dragon fest place.
it can be very dusty in orgiva but you cope.
we take trucks through that area . even better to the east and up through the point de ragua. ideally done late march . you follow the snow plough.
llok in a book shop for a mapamax map book then go up the pass and on to cazorla national park take the forest road about 5 km north of cuenca .. we do it often . its great . go slow and enjoy the drive .
but the route around al pujarras is ok .
Don't send folk east Alan there is nothing to see. Stay around Orgiva...............wink!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back