What a day... (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Finally had the funds to get my handbrake sorted out so went over to the garage for my appointment.

I took new Caliper sliders with me. It took 5 hours to strip down all the calipers they were that badly corroded. While he was under the van adjudsting the handbrakes again he pointed out that the exhaust had tiny holes in every section. So that is another £150 bill.

Then he took the front wheels off to service the front brakes and got covered in shock absorber fluid. One of the shocks had given up the ghost :( Another £330 bill (including fitting).

New pads for the front and rear plus new Shoes needed.

I asked him to look at the area that might need welding before the next MOT, another £100 quote (Quite happy with that one).

After everything was done he took it out for test drive and tested the handbrake on a local hill and it didn't really hold. Got back under the van and discovered the rear cable was siezed on one side so new rear cable needed. He did try to free it up but it wasn't having it.
He had already taken the front section of the handbrake mechanism off the van to free it up and lubricate it etc. New rear cable needed.

Anyway, booked in for all the work and a total bill of £700 on top of the £300 I spent today.

All prices very reasonable and all work that is needed.

Today's job replaced the shoes,pads on the rear which I supplied. Replaced all the sliders in all 4 calipers which I supplied. They supplied new rear disks plus 6.5 Hours labour for £300.
Really really happy with them.

No where to sit down outside so was stood up for the whole day and my feet are killing me. I am used to sitting down for work and leisure so this came as a bit of a shock to the system.

Anyway, whinge over, at least I have good brakes again and a handbrake that kind of works except on steep hills :whistle:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Booked into a different garage next week for the starting problem I previously mentioned. fingers crossed that isn't expensive...

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear that but has to be done.
Don't you have an outside chair you could have used??

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to hear that but has to be done.
Don't you have an outside chair you could have used??
Yes, But didn't realise the job was going to take so long and by the time I did the van was up on the ramps and not accessible to me any more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I would just like to mention it was a place called Gert's Tyres in Retford. They are great for tyres, Suspension, brakes, exhausts etc. I have not found anywhere else that works so well and at an extremely good price.

Every other garage I have used, staff get called off in the middle of the job to answer phones, talk to customers and do other jobs. At Gert's the lad was put on my job and worked on it none stop until it was done without any of the above interruptions. They have 2 members of staff who answer phones, organise jobs and deal with customers leaving the mechanics to get on with what they are good at. I have been using them for 5 years now and I don't have a single niggle/complaint with them.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I would just like to mention it was a place called Gert's Tyres in Retford. They are great for tyres, Suspension, brakes, exhausts etc. I have not found anywhere else that works so well and at an extremely good price.

Every other garage I have used, staff get called off in the middle of the job to answer phones, talk to customers and do other jobs. At Gert's the lad was put on my job and worked on it none stop until it was done without any of the above interruptions. They have 2 members of staff who answer phones, organise jobs and deal with customers leaving the mechanics to get on with what they are good at. I have been using them for 5 years now and I don't have a single niggle/complaint with them.
I have used Costco for tyres for some years now, great service with quality tyres at a good price.......(y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Years ago the garage my brother was working for was taken over, he was called into the office to meet the new owners, after the introductions they started to outline what they wanted him to do, he said you can stop right their, "I don't serve petrol, I don't answer the phone, I don't order spares, I don't talk to customers, I am a mechanic and that's it, if you don't like that I will leave" he's still working there. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back