Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,
Have trolled through previous postings and it all a bit confusing.

would like to get internet in van, as handy for local info when away, and a bit of TV watching online and keeping up with MHF! :ROFLMAO:

As a non tech person,what would be the best/easiest way to achieve this?

Got internet on T-mobile phone, but slow, and cant always get a signal, and the screen is too small :Eeek:

And the monthly fees for dongles seem a bit dear for the usage I need.

There are no ariels on the van at all.

Ta very much, S.:thumb:

N

N Luyetund

Deleted User
Try the vodaphone dongle (Top up and Go Mobile Broadband).... was £35 down from £40... easy set up and go price include £15 'top up':thumb:

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, I am sure you will get lots of advice, as I understad it, if you have a laptop that is WiFi enabled it will pick up a signal from any broadband within range.
The problem is most of these are locked (owner use only) and I believe its illegal in the UK to borrow others.
However there are free WiFi points where you can log-on (McDonalds-Service Areas-FON-Tourism Info Points Etc) these ae great for cathcing up with e-mail and net surfing. Your problem is the on line TV, it means you need to overnight within range of a decent WiFi transmitter, often camp sites have these either free or for a small fee.
Best solution, take more books!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, many thanks for that. Looks like a good idea. :thumb:

It says £15 for 1 gb, if I was watching tv over internet say, how much tv time would that approx be?

Trying to get an idea of what that means.

S.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A dongle is the way to go.. shop around, visit an independent phone shop and see what deals are on offer ..

or look for an unlocked dongle on ebay, then buy an O2 iphone sim with 12 months free internet .. they were around a tenner but the price has gone up to about £50 so not as 'free' as they were when I bought mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
A dongle is the way to go.. shop around, visit an independent phone shop and see what deals are on offer ..

or look for an unlocked dongle on ebay, then buy an O2 iphone sim with 12 months free internet .. they were around a tenner but the price has gone up to about £50 so not as 'free' as they were when I bought mine.

Thankyou. would this rely on getting a good O2 signal?
S.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We get 15Gb a month for £15 on the 3 network.
1Gb is about one hour of TV.

If you want to watch TV on the computer, you could use one of these tuners:

Link Removed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
You could always get the sat dome system. gives you internet and TV in your motorhome via satellite however at about £3k a go you will have to be quite dedicated.:thumb:

kamperman

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
internet access

Hi it appears that there are some places where none of the networks cover, A site we use in devon has no coverage by any network, i've been in to all the shops and given the post code not one covers the site but several cover around the site i've got 3 and voda. I have found other sites like this as well so I would check which network gives best coverage around the area you use most or try and get a open dongle

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
There is an advert in the 'Star' this morning from 'three'. Pay £9.99 fir a dongle and get 5gb a month for £15...... but you dont have to sign a contract so its just one month if thats all you want.

<edit> sorry, yesterdays paper

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
You could always get the sat dome system. gives you internet and TV in your motorhome via satellite however at about £3k a go you will have to be quite dedicated.:thumb:

Thats almost as much as my vans worth! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
S.

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Hi, many thanks for that. Looks like a good idea. :thumb:

It says £15 for 1 gb, if I was watching tv over internet say, how much tv time would that approx be?

Trying to get an idea of what that means.

S.

Trying to work out what your usage will be is a bit of a length of string job.
We are two heavy internet using fulltimers but we don't watch TV at all though we do watch some Youtube type clips - probably about 10 minutes a day some days.

We are using Alden Netmaster 90 on unlimited which costs us £500 a year but this gives us our phone line as well (Skype) and, if we ever used it, satellite TV but not at the same time as Internet (different satellite).

In the UK, TV aerial/dish and dongle is definitely the way to go.
The alternative would be Astra2connect but note the very low (for us) data allowances.

So, if you take the 1Gb per hour of TV as additional, you may get some idea from our statistics which I have as a spreadsheet at Link Removed. The high usage was whilst in the UK preparing a new-to-us rig for Europe, so lots of Skype phone calls.

Hope it helps.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
I bought an unlocked dongle from ebay and a o2 3G Sim card (intended for IPhone) and providing you keep £10 credit, you get broad band INTERNET for 12 month. Now you tell me what is cheaper than £10 for 12 month.
Cheap as chips.

Don

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
either use BT internet at home and get the firmware download to enable you to provide wifi to other members so that you can pick up wifi from theirs [ loads in the uk] [ BTFON ]

or join FON , install their router and do the same thing

was in uk for 3 months this summer and don't think I spent more than a couple of nights where I couldn't pick up a signal legally

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
voda

hi
we are still down here in cornwall, altough was working today, i have a contract 3 dongle for work but does not always have signal, got the voda from maplins and at £35 included £15 of credit which i understand lasts for 3 months , working great in cornwall and have used loads when at home with no signal on 3 and down here , just checked balance and have only used £1.40 of balance , well pleased :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And the monthly fees for dongles seem a bit dear for the usage I need.

Greetings via a 3 dongle. I paid £49 for it ( now cheaper ). PAYG. I pay £5 a month when I'm on the road, like now.

Too often poor or now signals, tough. Today brilliant signal. But 10 miles up the road where I'm working, zilch, same with my O2 mobile.

No aerial needed, you just plug the dongle into your laptop.

Failed to get it working abroad last year. Probably too expensive anyway unless they decide to stop ripping us off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back