TV power supply (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all, I'm still pretty new to 12v so I'd like to double check something with you please.

We were always intending buying a proper 12v TV/DVD eventually (so we can use it off hook up) but until then we've been using an old TV/DVD we already had laying around the house. Unfortunately the DVD part gave up on us whilst we were away on hols so we had to go out and buy a replacement locally. A bit annoying but I remember reading on here that most modern TVs are 12v anyway so I wasn't too bothered as we should be able to just replace the power supply with a cigarette lighter one.

I've just bought one of these: Amazon product ASIN B000ZLRXG8Now it has arrived, I can see that on the back of the power supply it says output 12.6V 5.6A.
The TV's own power supply says output 12V 3A

I just want to check my understanding is correct: so long as the voltages match, the different amperages don't matter because they only indicate how much current it is capable of delivering and the TV will still only draw 3A. Correct?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I just means you have a higher rated power supply, which is good..
the TV will draw 3 amps but the supply is capable of doing more.. So no problems..
Better than having a supply that is right on its limit. They no doubt use that same supply for several different models..

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for confirming what I was thinking......didn't want to blow up the TV lol
Septembers already been a bad (expensive) month....didn't want to add the new TV to the list of things needing fixing or replacing!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Just make sure it's the right connector and, more importantly, that the polarity is correct.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
12v TV/DvD might not be as expensive as you think. They also plug straight into the cigar type socket with no need for stabilisers. Spending £24 is a wasre of money if you are going to buy a tv soon.

Also most tvs are not 12 v compatible.

OP
OP
DangerMousy
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Just make sure it's the right connector and, more importantly, that the polarity is correct.
Yep the connector is the right one, but good point about the polarity. The original adaptor is showing the centre is positive, I can't find a similar symbol on the new adaptor so I've sent an enquiry to the seller.

...and that your batteries have enough capacity for the amount of viewing you want to do ;).
We've got one 110ah battery at the moment and intending to get another one when funds allow. The most we've done off-grid so far is 2 nights and the battery hardly dropped at all. Will keep an eye on it though ;-)

12v TV/DvD might not be as expensive as you think. They also plug straight into the cigar type socket with no need for stabilisers. Spending £24 is a wasre of money if you are going to buy a tv soon.

We already have the TV - ours broke whilst we were on hols and as we couldn't find an accessory shop we ended up with a Schneider LED TV/DVD combo from Conforama which we used via the mains socket whilst we were on hook up. But as the power supply output is 12v its just a case of replacing the power supply with a cigarette lighter one - I went for the stabiliser as I've read there can be problem watching DVDs if the voltage fluctuates.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
As the other reply said you were lucky I went through loads at currys most now 15 or 17v .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Compatable with what ?
Far more smaller tv's, up to maybe 24", are 12v via a transformer than are true 230v.

12v is 12v whether it comes from a power supply or a battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are only doing a couple of nights you will be fine, the newer TV's with LED back lighting draw a lot less current ours only takes 1.5 amps our stereo unit which I route the TV sound through uses 2 amps!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Compatable with what ?
Far more smaller tv's, up to maybe 24", are 12v via a transformer than are true 230v.

12v is 12v whether it comes from a power supply or a battery.
That's nearly true but it depends on how fussy the TV is. A motorhome "12v" socket almost never supplies 12v and varies from 12 - 14.5v. A stabilising device holds its output at 12v. Having said that all three of the TVs I've had over the years have survived perfectly well connected directly to the van supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back