Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
Hi all

We are researching our first ever PVC and wanted to try & find out the pro's & cons from a users perspective of what seems to be the industry norm of a 3 way fridge or the compressor fridge favored by some independent manufacturers. I get that the 3 way means you can wild camp and always have a working fridge but the van does need to be perfectly level and it also, from what I have read , takes quite a while to get down to temperature. But, I also can see the benefits of a compressor in that the van doesn't need to be perfectly level and it cools down a lot quicker. I imagine with a solar panel and twin leisure batteries, the fridge could also be used for a good few days without mains electricity. Also, there is no need for the two (imo) unsightly vents on the side of the van that a gas fridge needs.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance
Steve

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My only thought on that is the compressor could be noisy? Only going by the fridge we have at home. Good luck with hunt for van and welcome to the forum if you subscribe it's the best value for money you will have spent on your van(y)(y)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If wild camping in winter, electricity is very precious. A fridge uses little gas. You will be carrying gas.

Mainly summer use, compressor must win.

If you don't use your van in winter, why buy it ?

Mainly campsite use, compressor must win.

Did you expect an easy answer ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Have had gas fridges and have had compressor fridges. A lot of it is about personal preference for your own circumstances. The type of motorhoming you do. I think the compressor is better for my little van. I have solar and reasonable battery capacity and power has never been a problem. The compressor does make a very low noise when running (about 20 minutes in the hour in summer) which is preferable to the very loud "clunk" the gas fridge used to make when it kicked in. I've never been woken by the compressor fridge. Although mine has the 12/24v Danfoss compressor if I was starting from scratch again I might just use an A+++ domestic fridge run through an inverter (they're mostly built to standard sizes and easy to replace if they go wrong (the fridge))

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Have a PVC with compressor fridge, 2 x 100 amp batteries and 2 x 100 wt solar panels. Works fine for me and I actually prefer this fridge to the 3 way ones I have had previously. To date I have never run out of power and have been away for a week off grid in summer, no problem. The other minor issue is there is no gas servicing cost. A little bit of noise, yes, but definitely seems to get colder sooner.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have had 3 way fridges up until this Van and had a few issues if not level/gas running out in middle of night/pilot light blowing out but only about 5 times in 8 years with different Vans. The current Van has a compressor fridge. It has a solar panel and two 110ah leisure batteries which seem to do the job (we have only had the van a couple of months) There is a low hum when the Fridge is first turned on and it chills down quickly. Thereafter it hums every now and then, I guess to maintain the temperature. I have had the fridge on for a week parked on the drive with no EHU and it worked fine.
It is a lot quieter than my home fridge freezer.

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I too have had both types of fridge.

I think the compressor fridge is best if you are mostly touring and/or on EHU.

For long term, off-site motorhoming, the 'normal' motorhome fridge is best for me.

These days I have both on board... the Hymer fitted one and an Engel 'portable' (if you are a weight lifter) one. I must have ice cold, fresh milk for my Weetabix...

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
A friend of mine has a compressor fridge in his PVC but he mainly stays on campsites with EHU.

There are no vents on the outside of the van. Even a compressor fridge needs some kind of ventilation to aid the cooling process. I would like to see the installation instructions for a compressor fridge because I don't think many are installed correctly.

I certainly didn't see any form of internal ventilation around my friends compressor fridge.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I am used to a compressor fridge and its slight hum. My next PVC could have either a compressor or 3-way fridge. I am wondering if Funsters with them actually get their 3-way fridges serviced annually. If so, how much this costs, and how the economics of gas versus hook-up / solar panel stacks up over the life of the fridge. Has anyone been geeky enough to make a spreadsheet comparison?

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a house 240v fridge . do also sometimes taske it out and use an undercounter fridge freezer . works a treat through inverter solar and batteries . in winter it works best as i follow the sun .
have had 3 way but they seem to stop working in hot climates like morocco. so no good for me .
cant beat sitting in the sahara eating ice cream .
but in a pvc you are limited .
be hard in a pvc carrying never mind powering your twintub washing machine hee hee .

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've also got both.. a 65 l compressor fridge in my camper van and a large 175 l aes fridge freezer in the coach built. .
If you have the electrical capacity the compressor is great but it's always in your mind that it's heavy on batteries but I have to say the aes fridge freezer has been great so far and never a worry about what's happening with batteries....regardless of how long your away or where your parked up..
If you need a larger size fridge I'd say it would have to be gas unless your electrical set up was exceptionally large..

Even a compressor fridge needs some kind of ventilation to aid the cooling process
It does and that's covered in the installation instructions...
But the air flow is internal and external vents arnt required . .
Mine has free air flow up the back and into a cupboard and across the top and into the van space.. the cupboard can be quite warm.. I keep some of my clothes in there lol..
Andy.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if I was starting from scratch again I might just use an A+++ domestic fridge run through an inverter (they're mostly built to standard sizes and easy to replace if they go wrong (the fridge))

Maybe a serious problem, a domestic fridge will not be engineered for being shaken around hour after hour, I'd hope a MH one would have the heavy bits well tied down.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Maybe a serious problem, a domestic fridge will not be engineered for being shaken around hour after hour, I'd hope a MH one would have the heavy bits well tied down.
i used an old domestic fridge for years touring spain morocco and portugal . it died due to age about 30 years . my new one required a fancy modern pure sine wave inverter but still takes all the vibrations of going off road . the under cou nter fridge freezer the same .
today the costy of solar v, inverters definitely beats the 12 v compressor fridges . and for a short while you can switch off the fridge and use other 240volt items . drills , grinders .
the three way way fridges are ancient tec. these days .

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is the next upgrade to my van.

Upvote 0

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Could say that about many items carried in a motorhome. TV's, computers, washing machines, etc. It is a risk but the last undercounter fridge I purchased was under £70 and for £30 I was offered a 5 year guarantee. I'd risk it :)

Upvote 0

Expat49

Free Member
Aug 22, 2016
Marbella Spain
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1week
I think that I will stay with a 3way the gas used in them is ammonia the 240 fridges now use butane you can check this look on the spec label for gas type if it's code number is 600 check on the internet gas codes this is being used because it is planet friendly the old gas 134a is not planet or European friendly thank you mr Junkers another fine mess you campaigned for

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
Thanks guys

We will be using the van all year round so it will need to be fully winterised. I cant see any resounding no's to a compressor and as I cant see us staying for more than a week in one place off grid without at least moving the van for trips out and if touring, the batteries for a compressor fridge would presumably be charged between sites 2 - 4 hr ish driving at a time?

I like the idea of the compressor fridge and if I have a choice depending on which manufacturer we go for it would likely be a compressor. but as most manufactuers use gas then that would have to be the choice. It does seem a bit of a faff though having which mode to switch the fridge to

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back