Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander ? And discount codes (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Next year we want to get the ferry with the MH from Portsmouth to either Bilbao OR Santander, After getting off the ferry we'd take a drive either thro France or Spain to reach Agde.

Have any Funsters got any views about which is the best ferry route and would the drive to Agde be best thro France or Spain ? We'd NOT be looking for the economy ferry trip.

What is the story with the Brittany Ferry discount codes that people keep requesting from other members, can we get money off the ferry price by using someone else's code ? Is this kosher ?

If it's kosher, does anyone have a discount code we could use ?

Thanks all.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I appreciate you have made it clear you intend to get a ferry to Spain and if you have discounted other options then read no further. However, the cost saving by driving from Calais would be substantial and the route straight forward with much of it toll free on motorways.
We went to Adge area 3 years ago ( Marseillian Plage, September ) and really enjoyed it, great weather and white sandy beaches.
Have a great trip and a Safe journey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I agree with @PhilandMena I have recently done a bit of research on the differences and reckon it's about half as much to drive down from Calais as it is to use the ferry from Portsmouth save some cash and enjoy the drive down.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with @PhilandMena I have recently done a bit of research on the differences and reckon it's about half as much to drive down from Calais as it is to use the ferry from Portsmouth save some cash and enjoy the drive down.
It's a lot less than that!
As an approximate and depending on the time of the year! Calais to the Spanish border in your average 3.5 T motorhome averaging 30MPG using a non toll route (1048 KM) would cost just under£95.00 in Diesel.
I'm told the cheapest ferry crossing is with Brittany Ferries and around £350-£400 each way. That would be around £800 return (and I think you will be lucky to get that ) as apposed to around £200. in fuel. that's £600 left to spend on booze and loose women. It's a no brainer, and there's no chance of chucking your gut's up all night in the bay of biscay LOL

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As an approximate and depending on the time of the year! Calais to the Spanish border in your average 3.5 T motorhome averaging 30MPG using a non toll route (1048 KM) would cost just under£95.00 in Diesel.
I'm told the cheapest ferry crossing is with Brittany Ferries and around £350-£400 each way. That would be around £800 return (and I think you will be lucky to get that ) as apposed to around £200. in fuel. that's £600 left to spend on booze and loose women. It's a no brainer, and there's no chance of chucking your gut's up all night in the bay of biscay LOL
I was looking at asking a car trailer and two dogs as well so probably even less.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Next year we want to get the ferry with the MH from Portsmouth to either Bilbao OR Santander, After getting off the ferry we'd take a drive either thro France or Spain to reach Agde.

Have any Funsters got any views about which is the best ferry route and would the drive to Agde be best thro France or Spain ? We'd NOT be looking for the economy ferry trip.

What is the story with the Brittany Ferry discount codes that people keep requesting from other members, can we get money off the ferry price by using someone else's code ? Is this kosher ?

If it's kosher, does anyone have a discount code we could use ?

Thanks all.
There isn't anything between the routes but there are two services from Portsmouth, the economy one and the normal. The normal service is a bit more expensive, but not massively so and is on a more modern ship with better facilities and I think it is probably more stable in high seas - less rolling. Which you choose is entirely up to you. But worth checking the timetable as on some sailings the ferry stops at Roscoff and these trips go over two nights I think. The shortest of the long ferries is Plymouth to Santander which is twenty hours.

Yesterday I booked Plymouth to Santander for next April and I accept it would be cheaper to use a shorter crossing but we actually enjoy the long "cruise" and treat it as part of the holiday. I drove from Roscoff down to the bottom of France earlier this year and took a week over it and it was a pleasant drive but if you are short of time, want to avoid more driving than necessary (I see you are in Newcastle) then the long ferry is a good option. For us it is simply a case of getting to the "best bits" as soon as possible. We are going to be away twelve weeks so taking a few extra days driving through France would not be a problem but we just prefer starting in Spain. :)

Choice of ferry routes is endlessly discussed here with some trenchant views but which you take is entirely your decision. It isn't all about money otherwise we would all be living in tents or bivvy bags on our trips not a motorhome. Don't let the ferry police :rolleyes: sway you but there are so many options it is worth considering them all before making a decision.:) You might even want to look at the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam or Hull to Zeebrugge. So many choices. :)

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you do have to play around with ferry dates . i,m going in november as its alot cheaper than october . and come back in april . again may can be more expensive . my mate comes down from fort william and reckons for him its about the same . he is in a daf 45 truck conversion . for me in mine i only get 16 17 mpg , so the drive through france is costly . plus i still need a ferry . yes dover etc can be cheaper but is 350 miles from here . and back . plymouth roscoff is expensive . so return to santander is cheapest . even cheaper than the so called cheap one as on the pont aven i can use a seat so dont pay for a cabin .
this year the price is 289 each way for mine and 10 quid each way for a seat.
yes i,m a club member and get discount . but do have the yearly charge to pay.
as to bay of biscay in twenty five years or more of using it only had one rough crossing . have had worse from roscoff.on the ferry one day off and in spain in 20 hrs gotta be good .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We usually take the ferry because we have time constraints and it's a lot easier sleeping or having a beer whilst travelling than it is plodding through France.

Plus I get to avoid France altogether;):D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm told the cheapest ferry crossing is with Brittany Ferries and around £350-£400 each way. That would be around £800 return (and I think you will be lucky to get that ) as apposed to around £200. in fuel. that's £600 left to spend on booze and loose women.

OK, my sums.....

Google says 750 miles form Calais to Bilbao. We do 25 mpg. 140l fuel = £140.
Ferry £329 less Calais ferry £60 = £260.

You make no mention of real running costs. You make no mention of overnight stops.

You save £120 and will surely be gassed, done for speeding, mugged and be brain dead from 6 extra days travel.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I appreciate you have made it clear you intend to get a ferry to Spain and if you have discounted other options then read no further. However, the cost saving by driving from Calais would be substantial and the route straight forward with much of it toll free on motorways.
We went to Adge area 3 years ago ( Marseillian Plage, September ) and really enjoyed it, great weather and white sandy beaches.
Have a great trip and a Safe journey.

Over the last two years we have driven 5 times from Newcastle to Kent, stopped overnight, early train to France, drove halfway down, overnight stop then driven to Agde next day (we have friends down there). I am sick of the long drive so think a drive to Portsmouth, then 24hrs on a cruise then a leisurely drive across to Agde will be a nice change !! Coming back we do it in two long days, but it ain't fun, so again the cruise will be nice.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
OK, my sums.....

Google says 750 miles form Calais to Bilbao. We do 25 mpg. 140l fuel = £140.
Ferry £329 less Calais ferry £60 = £260.

You make no mention of real running costs. You make no mention of overnight stops.

You save £120 and will surely be gassed, done for speeding, mugged and be brain dead from 6 extra days travel.
You forgot to calculate for the air that I breath

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just done search for January cheapest. £734 return with cabin so prices vary very quickly

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Well Brian, you must be a wiz! I tried for a mid week crossing and the cheapest cabin for 2 adults and a 7 M Motorhome and it comes in at £434.00

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Just done search for January cheapest. £734 return with cabin so prices vary very quickly
cheapest is usually in november or december . from plymouth with only a seat . the cheap one from portsmouth isnt really cheaper as you need a cabin and the ships not so nice. it does take playing around and being able to use the cheaper crossings . i admit i booked then a week later they have done a sunday crossing a bit cheaper but i cant be bothered to swap it . prices can jump over a hundred quid from week to week .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
The calculation by Brian goes to Bilbao not Agde why would you drive to Bilbao 750 miles when Agde is a 100 miles less from Calais according to google by road

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks @vwalan for that info I usually use the tunnel myself but thought we might have a change but we are towing a trailer and have two dogs so it's a bit more complicated so don't think we'll bother it looks like you need to book really early to get dog friendly cabins.(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
At the end of the day, it's always down to personal choice.
i used to always go plymouth to santander . visit friends on the way.
one year after breaking susension on my vw t2 i went to santander and came back from there . only charged 30 quid extra . i then used friends codes it was ok . later became a brittany club member . these days with my mini artic its just not viable going through france . i do sometimes do it just to keep contact with friends but really i do prefer the extra time in spain .
it used to be 6 weeks spain . 3 months morocco then 6 weeks spain portugal spain . and home .
i do like france but in winter it can be wet cold and windy.
as it is i got fed up going to maroc and have spent all winter in spain last few years . might do portugal this year . but who knows might be rainy and maroc might call.
i like crossing mid december leaving mid march . i find end march april in maroc can be sand storms . dont like them . hee . we shall see .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks @vwalan for that info I usually use the tunnel myself but thought we might have a change but we are towing a trailer and have two dogs so it's a bit more complicated so don't think we'll bother it looks like you need to book really early to get dog friendly cabins.(y)
i used to take my dog used the kennels but when on board asked permission to leave the dog in my trailer . always ok .aranged times to give her a walk . been going away in winter for over 25 years so got the hang of it now . hee hee . mind dog had to be put down a couple years ago . she was 15 yr old and just became too ill with a cancer .
fifth wheeler is the way they allow 11mtrs as standard for car and caravan . mines only 10 mtrs . its actually cheaper than my mates daf truck conversion .
he finds fort william to plymouth only about 100 miles more than dover . portsmouth about the same as dover . but as we have seats equals out for him .

Deleted User
cheapest is usually in november or december . from plymouth with only a seat . the cheap one from portsmouth isnt really cheaper as you need a cabin and the ships not so nice. it does take playing around and being able to use the cheaper crossings . i admit i booked then a week later they have done a sunday crossing a bit cheaper but i cant be bothered to swap it . prices can jump over a hundred quid from week to week .

As far as I and SWMBO are concerned a cabin is essential on any overnight crossing and preferable on the shorter BF day crossings.

Reclining seats or across seats.....like trying to sleep on a park bench......long time since I did that:)

If I couldn't afford a cabin I wouldn't go!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
one year after breaking susension on my vw t2 i went to santander and came back from there . only charged 30 quid extra . i then used friends codes it was ok . later became a brittany club member . these days with my mini artic its just not viable going through france . i do sometimes do it just to keep contact with friends but really i do prefer the extra time in spain .
it used to be 6 weeks spain . 3 months morocco then 6 weeks spain portugal spain . and home .
as it is i got fed up going to maroc and have spent all winter in spain last few years . might do portugal this year . but who knows might be rainy and maroc might call.
i like crossing mid december leaving mid march . i find end march april in maroc can be sand storms . dont like them . hee . we shall see .
sorry should have started plymouth to roscoff .
adventure with dementia is great.
then or now its plymouth to santander . ha ha .

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have used 1 or two of your recommendations for Maroc and aware you are well travelled in that country. This year we plan to leave the UK end of Feb returning in June and spending that time in Spain and Portugal. Like you, if the weather goes tit's up we will cross over for a month and return beginning of April.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
As far as I and SWMBO are concerned a cabin is essential on any overnight crossing and preferable on the shorter BF day crossings.

Reclining seats or across seats.....like trying to sleep on a park bench......long time since I did that:)

If I couldn't afford a cabin I wouldn't go!
thats ok . i shall keep going . hee hee . its only a game affording doesnt come into it .
the game is how little can you spend on a winters away.
mind i bring enough beer /wine to not buy in uk .
then i can buy m,bikes or other toys to play with.
its only one night . could sleep on the floor we dont care . cant stand the seats never use them .

Deleted User
thats ok . i shall keep going . hee hee . its only a game affording doesnt come into it .
the game is how little can you spend on a winters away.
mind i bring enough beer /wine to not buy in uk .
then i can buy m,bikes or other toys to play with.
its only one night . could sleep on the floor we dont care . cant stand the seats never use them .

Getting a bit too old for games and if I slept on the floor I doubt if I would ever get up:)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The calculation by Brian goes to Bilbao not Agde why would you drive to Bilbao 750 miles when Agde is a 100 miles less from Calais according to google by road

Good point, I did my usual calculation based going to Spain. So change 750 to 660 miles.

Our first visit to Agde was in a boat, on the Canal du Midi. Hell of a way to get there. Our second visit to the canal we did indeed go via Bilbao, on a bike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back