Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
image.jpeg
A week in the Peak District exploring. Yesterday in car, briefly stopped on the side of B6521 at end of line of parked cars near Hathersage to take photo. Immediately realised not wise as at beginning of double white lines and warning sign so without putting on handbrake , switching off or getting out, in total a stop of 30 secs , poss less, pulled away and carried on. In my mirror saw woman in high vis jacket run towards us then stop and appeared to be writing, possibly my reg number.
The sign says no parking, I stopped but IMO didnt park.
Wonder if a ticket is on its way?? :eek:

Went back this morning to get photo.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I've never heard of points for a parking offence.

I think it's because of the double white lines, should not park where they are. But how do you define parking, I didn't switch off, apply handbrake or get out of car, I consider that stopping, not parking.
Will sweat on this one :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Peak District sounds like a welcoming place to visit if they employ runners to welcome you. What was the attraction around the sigh. Sounds like a sting operation.......:cautious:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
As long as your wheels were turning you are not parked, and as you say you were moving when she wrote down your registration number, so it is up to them to prove you were stopped. Anyway how do they expect you to read the notice if you are moving?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
It only says not to park parallel with the white lines, presumably therefore you'd be OK parking across the road at right angles to the lines ?

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Peak District sounds like a welcoming place to visit if they employ runners to welcome you. What was the attraction around the sigh. Sounds like a sting operation.......:cautious:

Over the wall with the horrible sign is a beautiful valley with a stream and a wooden bridge over it, all this just spitting distance from Sheffield on a sunny Sunday afternoon , the world and its mother were out yesterday so I guess they have have a problem at peak times.
I don't know if the Police contract out this kind of operation as it would in fact be a traffic offence if parked next to double white lines.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Stopping in a position that would cause another vehicle to have to cross the double whites is grossly dangerous hence the sign.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
As long as your wheels were turning you are not parked, and as you say you were moving when she wrote down your registration number, so it is up to them to prove you were stopped. Anyway how do they expect you to read the notice if you are moving?

I took the photo for a record of the height of the sign, with a row of cars the sign could not be seen until I pulled in which is why we left straight away.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Your word against theirs if no photographic evidence was collected and no police presence.
thats why town traffic enforcement take photos.

I say police as it would probably be an obstruction offence (obstructing the highway), not a parking offence.

Probably some frustrated housewife with a rightous streak and nowt better to do.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Your word against theirs if no photographic evidence was collected.
thats why town traffic enforcement take photos.

Probably some frustrated housewife with a rightous streak and nowt better to do.

Hope so John .

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes understand that hence the immediate exit.
I hope the warden isn't a jobsworth. As you say its not until stopping that you'd read the notice. However its probably suitably defined in the highway code and the sign is to reinforce the danger.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
was photographic evidence taken of the alleged offence of parking taken was it a police officer.
that sheep that was in front of you take a bit of time to get out of the way didn't it ;)
do not use the photograph taken as defence you could be prosecuted for using a camera while driving
you did not stop slowed down for obstruction sun in eyes to allow vehicle to move on;)
bill

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you do get a ticket just advise that you pulled in ahead of the line of traffic as you said , saw the sign so moved on. A few seconds stopped only but certainly not parked(y)

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
was photographic evidence taken of the alleged offence of parking taken was it a police officer.
that sheep that was in front of you tane a bit of time to get out of the way didn't it ;)

As far as I know no photographic evidence and only seeing the person with a glance in mirror at 30/40 yards , don't think it was police, high vis but no hat.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Stop worrying about it.. ..nothing will come of it.

It probably was an obstruction (or similar) offence as points are involved so only enforcible by the police.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Photo evidence, if anything like parking, would involve a series of photos including the car as a whole including the number plate, the yellow, or in this case white, lines and the restriction sign.
They cover every aspect so theres no escape.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As far as I know no photographic evidence and only seeing the person with a glance in mirror at 30/40 yards , don't think it was police, high vis but no hat.
Oh dear it gets worse Larry, resisting arrest could be added to the list of offences...;)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I was driving in Wembley last week what a chore that is with parking cameras on almost every lamppost with no stopping let alone parking signs. Not to mention the grid lines on every junction with camera enforcement. :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For a moment I didn't think you could get points for bad parking but then remembered you can - stopping on the zig-zag lines at a pedestrian crossing for example. It seems the definition is "parking...in a dangerous position." There's a bit about near the bottom of this page: https://www.gov.uk/parking-tickets/paying-a-ticket
"You’ll only get penalty points on your licence for certain types of parking FPN, eg for leaving a vehicle in a dangerous position."

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
For a moment I didn't think you could get points for bad parking but then remembered you can - stopping on the zig-zag lines at a pedestrian crossing for example. It seems the definition is "parking...in a dangerous position." There's a bit about near the bottom of this page: https://www.gov.uk/parking-tickets/paying-a-ticket
"You’ll only get penalty points on your licence for certain types of parking FPN, eg for leaving a vehicle in a dangerous position."

Yes I believe that's the case, but there must be a difference between parking and stopping. .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But technically thats an obstruction offence, not a simple parking infringement.
All classed as 'special offences'

Doesn't stop the local police doing it when visiting the pizza shop late evening.. ..or sometimes with all four wheels on the footpath.
Doesnt show the police in a very good light !

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
You might get a "warning" letter in the post - I know the police often work with community groups in areas where there's a speeding problem: the community group have a speed camera and record the registrations and then the police send out a letter and that's the end of it.

If anything serious does comes of it, I suggest checking with the guys on this forum: http://forums.pepipoo.com/ they're pretty good on all things motoring law and parking rules & regs.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I took the photo for a record of the height of the sign, with a row of cars the sign could not be seen until I pulled in which is why we left straight away.
I don't understand the need for a sign anyway. It's illegal, it applies everywhere, and it's obviously dangerous to do so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back