Fix and Go Tyre Repair (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Like many of you I am sure, I have no spare wheel, and instead have a Fiat supplied Compressor together with sealant.

I don't want to enter into discussions about the relative merits of Spare Wheels, Tyres, repair kits ....
etc ..... I am sure that payload allowing, a Spare Wheel has to be best.

However, I have some questions about the Fix and Go.

We were away last week, and I needed to top up the pressure in my ebike tyre. Not having my pump with me, I thought I would use the Fix and Go compressor.

However, before using it I should have RTFM!! I was in a hurry, and so after removing it from the bag, saw the clear plastic tube with a threaded brass connector, and screwed it onto the bike tyre valve.

I switched on the compressor and immediately the white latex sealant started oozing out all over the tyre and the car-park. I immediately switched off and released the pressure, but I must have lost 1/5 to 1/4 of the cannister.

I hadn't looked on the underside and disconnected the output of the compressor from the canister inlet!!!!!

So ......
1 Do I need to get a new cannister, or would 3/4 full still work?
2 Can I actually get a new cannister, or is it a "one-shot" device?
3 Will the sealant in the tube stay liquid, or is it possible to clear it out?

I was embarrassed about the spillage as it was on a slight slope, and a rivulet of white liquid started off across the carpark. Luckily I had just emptied my grey waste, and filled my fresh water, so I opened the drain valve and turned on a tap in the MH and used the clean water draining out to dilute it a bit. By the end of the day, it had nearly disappeared as it dried.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've just had a look at my repair fluid and compressor...
Apart from a sort of use by date it says nothing about been no good if partially used... but I imagine it's supposed to be a one shot device and uses all the liquid on the flat tyre... whether 3/4 of a container is enough I wouldn't know.. it may well still do the job..
The other issue might be the fitting to the valve becoming sealed up if it's been used unless you have managed to flush it through..
I've been told that replacement fluid is expensive... but because of the issue of the tyre not been repaired and having to be replaced if the fluid is used I've just bit the bullet and bought a spare..
I'd love to know if the repair folk won't touch it because it takes too much effort to clean it or whether it really would be a safety issue on the repair... perhaps someone can answer that??
Andy..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The guy I use for tyres will certainly repair a tyre that has been slimed, the other thing to carry, and I do have one is a plug kit, "Dyna-plug". I carry it in the van (we have a spare as well) and in the car as we now don't have the run-flats or a spare but even when we had the run-flats my tyre guy said use a plug in it and pump it back up and then you don't ruin the tyre and it would repair.

Sorry don't know much about the slime kits but I know it gunges up your valves.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
Have used PUNCTURESAFE on all my motorcycles (exactly the same reason-you cant carry a spare!)....sealed a 10mm bolt into the back tyre on the Madrid ring road, dropped only 2psi....now used it on all my motorbikes and into my Fiat motorhome, the stuff in my Toyota seems similar and does work on punctures ok as i had puncture within 2 days of buying it!!!, hideously expensive gunk to replace from dealership but available on ebay at around 1/2 price.....i would use Puncturesafe....just mt twopenneth, no axe to grind either way but feels odd not having a spare to put on........

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Have used PUNCTURESAFE on all my motorcycles (exactly the same reason-you cant carry a spare!)....sealed a 10mm bolt into the back tyre on the Madrid ring road, dropped only 2psi....now used it on all my motorbikes and into my Fiat motorhome, the stuff in my Toyota seems similar and does work on punctures ok as i had puncture within 2 days of buying it!!!, hideously expensive gunk to replace from dealership but available on ebay at around 1/2 price.....i would use Puncturesafe....just mt twopenneth, no axe to grind either way but feels odd not having a spare to put on........
That is what I have in the motorhome tyres. Still got the rumpy pumpy kit but as a lot of bikers rate puncturesafe highly, I go with that.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The guy I use for tyres will certainly repair a tyre that has been slimed, the other thing to carry, and I do have one is a plug kit, "Dyna-plug". I carry it in the van (we have a spare as well) and in the car as we now don't have the run-flats or a spare but even when we had the run-flats my tyre guy said use a plug in it and pump it back up and then you don't ruin the tyre and it would repair.

Sorry don't know much about the slime kits but I know it gunges up your valves.

Martin
You have a good tyre guy.. I've been told by a few they won't touch a tyre that's had the stuff in.. I alays suspected it's cause they couldn't be bothered to clean it up..
Andy

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And my twopennerth is Puncturesafe should be used with caution on anything that accelerates faster than the average tractor ( for which it was designed )
Whilst I am very pleased for you BGB, I advice you try and avoid accelerating at max velocity as it is very easy to out accelerate the spreading out of the stuff.
You end up with what is basically a big lump of goo on one side of the tyre which will of course through the wheel right out of balance..
And if you are unlucky the same fate as happened to a close friend ( which unfortunately I witnessed ) and end up under an HGV

I have been and will continue to be a member of a group who have been trying to get the stuff banned in the UK the same as it is in many many other countries

All of these remarks I limit to motorcycles, as motor homes and indeed very few cars would fall foul of the issue

As to the OP, 3/4 of a can will work just fine.. just make sure the nozzle is clear.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I advice you try and avoid accelerating at max velocity as it is very easy to out accelerate the spreading out of the stuff.
You end up with what is basically a big lump of goo on one side of the tyre which will of course through the wheel right out of balance..
Centrifugal force will evenly spread the fluid no matter how fast or slow you accelerate.
It's not possible to have a fluid remain in a lump in one position unless said fluid has become a solid.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You have a good tyre guy.. I've been told by a few they won't touch a tyre that's had the stuff in.. I alays suspected it's cause they couldn't be bothered to clean it up..
Andy

Only in Midddlesbrough if you fancy a ride out anytime Andy(y)

Martin

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I have injected puncture safe in our motorhome tyres and our trailer tyres as I don't fancy changing wheels whilst on our Benidorm trips.

John.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
I've just had a look at my repair fluid and compressor...
Apart from a sort of use by date it says nothing about been no good if partially used... but I imagine it's supposed to be a one shot device and uses all the liquid on the flat tyre... whether 3/4 of a container is enough I wouldn't know.. it may well still do the job..
The other issue might be the fitting to the valve becoming sealed up if it's been used unless you have managed to flush it through..
Andy..

....... As to the OP, 3/4 of a can will work just fine.. just make sure the nozzle is clear.

Thanks for all the advice. I will clean out the nozzle. I will continue to carry the Fix & Go, for emergencies, and for the use of the compressor, but it has made me realise that I should get a spare wheel. Storage is a problem, as it cannot be hung under the back of the MH due to the ducting from the Truma heater, but a round rubber stain on the floor of the under-bed locker implies the previous owner carried one in there. Luckily I have sufficient payload capacity.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Storage is a problem,
Hi.. that's my problem.. currently just in garage ..
Underslining at the back will reduce ground clearness and I can see problems on ferry ramps.. I'll be having a look on roof but it's so heavy even if there is a space..
In your case if you have the clearance would it not be easy enough to rent route the ducting to make the space ??
Andy..

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Hi.. that's my problem.. currently just in garage ..
Underslining at the back will reduce ground clearness and I can see problems on ferry ramps.. I'll be having a look on roof but it's so heavy even if there is a space..
In your case if you have the clearance would it not be easy enough to rent route the ducting to make the space ??
Andy..

Hi Andy our last van built on the MK7 transit did not have a spare but whilst looking beneath the van I saw that there was a purpose built wheel well there.
I bought the cradle and winding mechanism from eBay and fitted a spare wheel myself.

John.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy our last van built on the MK7 transit did not have a spare but whilst looking beneath the van I saw that there was a purpose built wheel well there.
I bought the cradle and winding mechanism from eBay and fitted a spare wheel myself.

John.
Thanks John. .. I do have a mk7 transit (it's a self build ) which has a spare wheel fitted with winding mechanism. .
The van I'm on about is a chausson 620 on the Ford Base. .
I initially thought I'd underling under the garage but as I said above I'm now concerned about ground clearance. .
Just not sure what to do at minute..so for time been it's in garage..
Andy.

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Hi guys, I have a Mk 7 Transit spare with OK tyre in garage from my last 6wheel, foc to anyone on here, u can pick up in Norfolk or may possibly go to Lincoln.

Regards Richard

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't think we have any room for a spare chausson flash 10 grey tank where the spare would go. I get worried about not having one but have just realised no motorbikes have one and they seem to get around ok! Might look into the puncturesafe there was somenoe doing tyres at retrofestival but didn't look as I thought it would be expensive.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
In your case if you have the clearance would it not be easy enough to re-route the ducting to make the space ??
Andy..
Just been out and looked under the van. Unfortunately, I now realise it's not just ducting - the Truma heater is actually in the way too. So, it will have to go in the under-bed locker.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Thanks for all the advice. I will clean out the nozzle. I will continue to carry the Fix & Go, for emergencies, and for the use of the compressor, but it has made me realise that I should get a spare wheel. Storage is a problem, as it cannot be hung under the back of the MH due to the ducting from the Truma heater, but a round rubber stain on the floor of the under-bed locker implies the previous owner carried one in there. Luckily I have sufficient payload capacity.
You should, my last tyre issue recently was a big chunk taken out of the tyre and no amount of gunk or bolts would have fixed that. Carrying a spare meant I could take the ferry and get it changed at the Hague en route at quick fit. How does a MH without a spare and a flat get loaded onto a flatbed? It sounds like it could be quite damaging and a massive inconvenience never mind the expense!

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I have had exactly this problem. Ended up getting new canister from fiat. £60!

It did not fit the compressor so it back to get the right one. I read the instructions which said should not be used by Asthmatics ( which I am) so took it back and got my money back.

Looked at puncture safe and similar products as Burstner did not recommend under slinging a wheel/tyre on the rear my van due to axle weights.( no space to carry inside)

Then contacted Conti to get their view on puncture safe, that said they would not recommend it as if you have a sidewall split it could make the tyre deflate quicker as the gung tried to seal the split.

So had just got 4 new conti camper tyres and decided to let red flag sort me out if I get a puncture ( at additional cost of £100 if you do not carry a spare wheel)

What a palaver!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back