Fuse for televison socket in van has blown urgent help required (2 Viewers)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
John plugged a ciggy lighter socket into the 12 volt system to charge his mobile phone, socket is now dead, it is the one we need for John's CPAP anyone know where the fuse might be? CI mizar with fuse box behind the seat, everything else seams to be working so think there may be a fuse behind the panel. Any ideas folks, we are on a campsite tonight but will be using Aires for the next week. this is the only live 12 volt socket we have.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
John plugged a ciggy lighter socket into the 12 volt system to charge his mobile phone, socket is now dead, it is the one we need for John's CPAP anyone know where the fuse might be? CI mizar with fuse box behind the seat, everything else seams to be working so think there may be a fuse behind the panel. Any ideas folks, we are on a campsite tonight but will be using Aires for the next week. this is the only live 12 volt socket we have.
Have you tried googling the wiring diagram you could be lucky.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is the socket on the dashboard? If so it will probably be one of the vehicle fuses. Either under the bonnet or perhaps below the steering wheel - depending on model and date of the MH chassis.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I'd say a 'vehicle' fuse rather than 'Motorhome' fuse. The fusebox may be or under the glovebox. I'd have thought more likely to be more within the cab than under the bonnet. What is the base vehicle and year?

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Another thought - when you say the socket is 'dead' are you sure it's the socket and not the USB charger or whatever it is that is plugged into the socket. I say this because a lot of 12volt plugs (those that fit into ciggy sockets) have an inbuilt inline fuse - maybe it's this that's blown? You can normally unscrew or dismantle the plug to access the fuse.

Alternatively the socket itself may have an inline fuse - if you can unscrew the socket from the dash you may be able to pull it forward and see it a fuse is connected on the cable itself.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Sue, I realise I have a different van but one of my USB plug ins always fused the socket (hab area). My fuse is a 10amp in the hab fuse box and I carry a packet of spares. If it is in the hab area do you have any of the van papers which will identify which fuse it is? Hope you get it sorted and enjoy the rest of your trip.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
After thought - if it is on the dash the fuse will be mentioned in the vehicle handbook.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Thanks all. to clarify, the 12 volt socket is in the habitation area at the dedicated place for a tv, there is an electric socket which is working ok have checked all the fuses in the nor electric box behind the seat, none fused.
Van is a CI Mizar 2008 on a fiat ducato, we have the CI handbook with us but there is no wiring diagram or details of fuses, it does say there should be a separate document which I have never seen.
John thinks it must come off the leisure battery circuit have never used it without , he is wondering how with a 'one piece' socket the socket works but the 12 V doent my favourite is a fuse behind the socket. any more ideas?

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Just found this on google:
http://www.autogenius.info/fiat-ducato-base-camper-from-2014-fuse-box-diagram/
Don't know what model you have of course but for this model Ducato there is a Cigar lighter fuse in the engine compartment fusebox (F15, 15Amps). The link shows the layout of the fusebox which may help locate it.
This site: gives wiring diagrams for the above and other models.

John

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks all. to clarify, the 12 volt socket is in the habitation area at the dedicated place for a tv, there is an electric socket which is working ok have checked all the fuses in the nor electric box behind the seat, none fused.
Van is a CI Mizar 2008 on a fiat ducato, we have the CI handbook with us but there is no wiring diagram or details of fuses, it does say there should be a separate document which I have never seen.
John thinks it must come off the leisure battery circuit have never used it without , he is wondering how with a 'one piece' socket the socket works but the 12 V doent my favourite is a fuse behind the socket. any more ideas?
It may well be an inline fuse behind it. All you can do is to try and find it but are you 100% sure one of the fuses in the box you've looked at isn't blown? It can be difficult to see some times. A multi-meter is the best way to check unless you have the magic led fuses which light up when they blow.

Do you not have a cigar lighter socket on the dash? If so presumably this can be used as a backup and also a way of confirming what has blown - the socket or the device you are plugging into it. It will mean turning on the ignition though of course or charging during the day while driving.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Ah, if the socket is in the hab area, not on the dashboard then I'd agree - more likely to be off the leisure battery.
Our 12v TV socket (2007 Ducato based Hymer) is different from the 12v dashboard socket. the TV socket being rated at 10A. I think there is a fuse within the plug. I can't easily get behind the socket but there could be an in-line fuse fitted.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Unfortunately dash sockets dont work with ignition off so not able to utilise it for overnightCPAP would drain vehicle battery. The solar panel will charge it during the day and battery master should keep them equal.
have tried to send a photo but dont know how to upload.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Dash sockets working ok
edited to add- as are devices

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks all. to clarify, the 12 volt socket is in the habitation area at the dedicated place for a tv,

How about a picture or two ? There is a small chance it could help. What is right behind the socket ? Wardrobe maybe ?

Look carefully down the hole, it is just possible the USB device bent a pin in there.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
unfortunately not easily accessible will say van is well put together but think 2 inch screws a bit of overkill trying to get socket out at the moment dont know how to add a photo will look at how to and try again

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
well i am excited hope it works

Attachments

• WIN_20160917_18_02_27_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160917_18_02_27_Pro.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 80
Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I don't know the CPAP device nor how much current it takes from the 12v socket when switched on. But, if during normal use, it doesn't normally flatten the leisure battery overnight and assuming that the leisure and vehicle batteries are about the same AH (90AH'ish?) and also assuming that you only have 1 leisure battery, then running the CPAP overnight from the dash 12v socket may not flatten the vehicle battery.
Worth trying if all else fails and you can't locate the fault.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
well i am excited hope it works

Well done, got the photo!
Looks like our TV 12v socket, rated at 10A. I'm not near our van to check but think the TV 12v socket is smaller than the standard dash mounted socket - hence plugs different size.
If this is correct then scratch my previous post/idea of using dash socket, it won't fit. Sorry!

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@scotzsue i have a simular ciggy / 240V panel in our MH , now i'm not sure if there is an inline fuse for the ciggy lighter behind the lighter socket its self , but it should be easy to get at , make sure all you power is OFF , especially your 240V supply , then you see the outer silver cover around the sockets , it just prises off with a small screw driver or flat knife , then there will be about 2 screws to undo then you should be able to pull of the ciggy lighter enough to see if there is an inline fuse in it. BUT i would say most likey the fuse should be in the MH fuse box somewhere , but just try the above if all else if lost.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
just discovered most of lights not working too fridge is not on the fridge fuse, but is working. confused .com so will check lights fuses going to have a glass of wine, tea and scream lol

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Using a sharpish blade carefully prise of the silver bezel...it simply snaps in place.
If you have any tape put some on the wood veneer to protect it from the blade.
Once the bezel is removed you will see the fixing screws for the front panel.
Remove the screws and lift out the face panel.
You should now see the socket fixing screws or clips, remove and lift away the socket.
Do this with hook up unplugged just in case the 230v socket comes away too.
Once all this is removed you may have to remove the back box to access the wiring.
Back box could be screwed or fixed with clips.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Thank you everyone, only when it started to get dark did we realise that some of the lights weren't working, changed fuse all ok, pity we tried to dismantle the van first lol
wine next to me think i might just have the whole bottle

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would consider fitting/having fitted a second 12v socket, on its own dedicated supply and fuse, as back up for the CPAP machine.

What would have happened if it had blown at 3am, then realised you had no lights to find the problem or indeed see in the fuse box.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@scotzsue ok ive just been out to my MH , its a Bessacarr E560 to see if my tv / ciggy socket had an inline fuse in behind the panel when i removed it,, and it DID NOT have a fuse there so dont waste your time removing it.
So i then proceeded to remove all the 10 amp fuses in my habitation fuse panel untill i found the correct fuse for my ciggy / tv socket , and it was fuse number F12 which was a 10 amp fuse in Habitation Fuse box , mine fuse box for the habitation part of the MH is behind the drivers seat.
hope that helps you a bit

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you everyone, only when it started to get dark did we realise that some of the lights weren't working, changed fuse all ok, pity we tried to dismantle the van first lol
just seen you got it sorted , happy days ,, as pappajohn sugested fit a few extra sockets on their own fuse,, easy to do.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Glad your sorted Sue, I'd hit the G & T if I was you, and don't forget the straw!!

Enjoy.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Glad your sorted Sue, I'd hit the G & T if I was you, and don't forget the straw!!

Enjoy.
Have demolished a bottle of wine beteen us, don't think i would cope with a G&T on top even worse i forgot my straw and special recepticle.
Give my regards to the girls.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
I would consider fitting/having fitted a second 12v socket, on its own dedicated supply and fuse, as back up for the CPAP machine.

What would have happened if it had blown at 3am, then realised you had no lights to find the problem or indeed see in the fuse box.
Just read yur post to other half, who is another papa John to my grandsons, he held up a torch and a cigarette socket with crocodile clips on it. Thank goodness we didn't go down that route, an extra 12V socket is a good idea perhaps if i threaten to put one in myself he might do it, John is, I believe, more than capable but he is well and truly retired unless his motorbike needs something doing. Glad he is not on here lol

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009

Great, glad you've got it all sorted.

John

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread