Decent reversing camera (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Having give up hope of fixing the existing reversing camera I am looking to replace it.I would like one of those dual cameras which have one pointing towards the tow bar area and the other looking back along the road.I have an onboard system which allows for video in but I'm not sure how you then select between the 2 images.Can anyone recommend a decent system please?Would prefer wired as opposed to wireless because I have read of wireless images freezing.Many thanks.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Wired is best and worth paying slightly more for a CCD camera rather than CMOS. You should be able to get it to "look behind" but automatically look down when selecting reverse. however, I don't know how it is done other than wiring into the reverse light power cable from the tow bar relay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I would be interested to know how many people on here actually use a reversing camera. I bought one which is still in the box. I'm not sure where to mount it and I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the van. When I recently bought the MH the sales guy said the best reversing camera was to send the wife out which seems to work quiet well.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
All the twin camera systems I've had are simple to install but I've always bought a monitor to suit and never used an existing monitor.. but I'm sure a supplier would advise on how to and what's needed..
There a power supply To the monitor. .. a single cable with twin fittings that supplies the cameras with power and has twin video connections you will also need a reversing signal and a earth...so the wiring is simple and other than the supplies and earth mentioned above all contained in a single wire from the twin cameras to the monitor..
I usually take the reverse signal from the wire to the reverse lights...but usually only use that to power a relay coil that then supplies the reverse signal to the box of tricks... over cautious but I know my reverse system is current monitored and didn't want to risk upsetting anything vehicle related..
The fittings on the cable require a hole around 18 or 19 mm if you need the cable to pass through any walls/bulkheads....

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I would be interested to know how many people on here actually use a reversing camera. I bought one which is still in the box. I'm not sure where to mount it and I don't like the idea of drilling holes in the van. When I recently bought the MH the sales guy said the best reversing camera was to send the wife out which seems to work quiet well.
Fair enough if you've got a wife..:LOL:
I find it a massive help.. it was the first thing I installed when I got current van and the last one..
Andy

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Wouldn't be with out one, can reverse in our place within 2" off the wall, hookup the trailer & keep an eye on it as we are travailing,(y)

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I use the Garmin reversing camera with my Garmin 760 MTL camper GPS. I have found it reliable (wireless) comes on with reverse and somewhat better than some humans (offside ding result of human, really hacked off about that! carved it in stone, handed it down from the hillside and still they could not do it! Merde).

Have bought second camera to dispense with unreliable human interface - will still use them but back up with electronics before trusting them.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I use mine all the time as a rear view mirror. I suspect Mrs Bass may complain a bit if I strapped her to the rear bumper and asked her to shout a lot when I had traffic behind me........

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We have a Waeco dual camera on our Hymer came with it when we bought it. It's brilliant even has Mike so you can here what's happening behind when reversing. Most people following don't realise you can see them and the odd ones panic when you start reversing towards them.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I would be interested to know how many people on here actually use a reversing camera.
I use mine all the time ... mainly as a rear view mirror and also to keep an eye on the toad but also do find it useful when backing up to the toad to line up the tow hook with the a-frame.(y)

PS Oh dear, now I've mentioned the word "a-frame" this thread will run for 25000 pages ... sorry.:whistle2:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I use mine all the time ... mainly as a rear view mirror and also to keep an eye on the toad but also do find it useful when backing up to the toad to line up the tow hook with the a-frame.(y)

PS Oh dear, now I've mentioned the word "a-frame" this thread will run for 25000 pages ... sorry.:whistle2:
Yes, we do the same. Rear view camera for keeping an eye on things including toad or anything being towed, downward looking camera for reversing (both with separate monitor) and just fitted a number plate level one (via the head unit) as when bikes are on the bike rack they obscure the view downwards.

Our driveway has about 3" each side at the bottom half with the mirrors folded in so now can reverse with confidence (albeit rather slowly......)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I would like to know if anyone has experience of Waeco twin camera system as against similar sounding spec Vision Plus twin camera system at half the price.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
I personally had installed on my last van the Dometic / Waeco twin lens RVS-794 camera system and was brilliant. You have a built in microphone which activates for the bumper down image if required which then mutes when you have the down the road image selected so you don't have all the road noise when travelling. The image is very clear with good clarity. I know they are expensive but still the very best on the market. My dad equally has the exact same camera on the back of his van but installed with the Columbia navigation system.

a great choice in my opinion (y)

unfortunately I have no experience with the other system you have suggested.

Mar 20, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175
Exp
10 years
I have an Elldis 175SE which has no rear window. The camera with it is like a chocolate fire guard and I want one that will act as a rear view mirror. Any suggestions please? Maybe a service centre in E Anglia to fit it?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do you stop a forward facing camera from getting covered with spray ?
You don't, image doesn't need to be that clear but if needed wouldn't be hard to rig up a washer jet.:D

It might stop me doing this like I did on the last van.
IMG_20160527_192825.jpg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
A decent one is the dual wired one sold by DRW Electronics, usually has a stall at the shows with a Yorkshire Terrier sat amongst the boxes. About £165 but easy to install and includes a remote control to change between the cameras.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back