Sep 16, 2016
Eye, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Hello all.
Complete newbies here about to launch on our first motorhome search. Am thinking of probably buying from a dealer, if only to get some sort of warranty. We live in Suffolk and would rather use somebody local for "returns" if necessary and have been looking at:

Simpsons
Becks
Broadland
Marquis

Has anybody had dealings with these guys or others - especially Broadland (who have a van that we could be interested in)?
Marquis seem to get a bad press generally but I have not seen any adverse comments so far about the Ipswich lot.

Many thanks

Richard

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
I was going to buy from Marquis Suffolk but the sales person (I won't name him) was so pushy I walked away.

I told him I wasn't going to make a decision immediately and wanted a few days to make my mind up, but he kept on about he had others interested so I said well let them have it.

Good luck with your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Green trees Dereham is a caravan dealer with a small motorhome part. The numbers go up and down, I guess to do with stock available.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Last year we bought our previous used Hymer from Broadland at Acle, a very friendly helpful service. We then traded in this year for a new Hymer at Becks.
Broadland are a relatively small company who appear to sell only used vans .
Becks have a large stock of new and used Motorhomes and for us have given an excellent deal and service and act immediately on any request.
A thoroughly professional company .

PS
My brother in law has bought two Autotrail mhomes from Simpsons over recent years and in my opinion although a really professional outfit, I consider the service he has received has not been brilliant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I bought from Marquis Ipswich and found them OK but hopelessly inefficient. Many people say good things about Becks

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hello all.
Complete newbies here about to launch on our first motorhome search. Am thinking of probably buying from a dealer, if only to get some sort of warranty. We live in Suffolk and would rather use somebody local for "returns" if necessary and have been looking at:

Simpsons
Becks
Broadland
Marquis

Has anybody had dealings with these guys or others - especially Broadland (who have a van that we could be interested in)?
Marquis seem to get a bad press generally but I have not seen any adverse comments so far about the Ipswich lot.

Many thanks

Richard
Don't forget Pullingers - they are family run. Having said that, I bought our current van from Hayes leisure in Walsall as it was the right van and right deal. I googled for "problems" with them before signing and found almost nothing. It was a risk but with a good dealer not a big risk

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Bought our first van, a Swift, from Marquis in Ipswich. Their service was chaotic and there were some real 'bodges' done.
Second van, an AutoTrail, was from Simpsons and although we had a few problems they were all sorted. Very good, non pushy sales staff and efficient service department. I would have gone back to them but they weren't dealers for the van we wanted.
Simpsons are also Fiat Professional agents now so I'm hoping they will be servicing our base vehicle when it needs it.

Richard.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Becks for us too, always dealt with the few teething problems we've had with no hesitation. Heard only good things about Simpsons but Greentrees? One or two negatives but only hearsay.

Upvote 0

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have bought both our vans from Simpsons and found them to be fine on the sales side, mind you 'our' salesman works for Becks these days. Service-wise I don't have much to complain about, they have carried out servicing etc to a good standard and have dealt with minor faults that have cropped up.

I would say it makes sense to choose a dealer near home if you can. We have a 90 mile round trip to get to Simpsons, not all that far but enough when they haven't completed a service or repair job and you have to go back the next day.

Paul

Upvote 0

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Becks for us, good to deal with and give a car if you have any work done, park outside at night with electric if you want. :) Bob.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
richardab

richardab

Free Member
Sep 16, 2016
Eye, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Not sure we would want to venture out of Norfolk/Suffolk Mattyjwr as taking it back for any fault rectification would be a pain or am I being too pessimistic?! Cambridge or north Essex at a pinch I suppose......

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Have previously bought from Marquis ..... got good deal financially ... tried to buy again but salesman was to pushy and got shirty when i said we were going to the NEC show.

Had servicing done by Simpsons for a few years and have been pleased ... also found them helpful when looking fo a new moho.

Recently bought new moho from Becks and so far have been very pleased.

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks for the replies everybody.

Not sure we would want to venture out of Norfolk/Suffolk Mattyjwr as taking it back for any fault rectification would be a pain or am I being too pessimistic?! Cambridge or north Essex at a pinch I suppose......

I think that it depends on where you buy from. I had an issue with our MH which were rectified by a local garage rather than driving 60 miles back to the dealer. They refunded the cost. I'm not suggesting that you travel hundreds of miles but just by going into Essex or Cambs, you have increased your choice of dealers and, therefore, options for vehicles.

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think that it depends on where you buy from. I had an issue with our MH which were rectified by a local garage rather than driving 60 miles back to the dealer. They refunded the cost. I'm not suggesting that you travel hundreds of miles but just by going into Essex or Cambs, you have increased your choice of dealers and, therefore, options for vehicles.
Come to think of it, Hayes said any issues get a local NCC approved engineer and they would sort it. Never put it to the test, though.

As per @icantremember - "chaotic" was a good description.........

Upvote 0

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I agree Becks give excellent service, let you browse in peace, help with questions and give a years warranty on used vans.
Would certainly go to them again if we wanted to change our van.
Christine

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Bought our Bolero from Simpsons 4 years ago, very good experience, also can recommend Becks as well, as for Greentrees at Dereham, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole after a very bad experience with them a few years ago, but they might have improved by now, they had need to!.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We travel 65 miles each way to Becks but we make a day of it and take the lone car and explore old haunts, sometimes it's the only way I get out!

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
as for Greentrees at Dereham, wouldn't touch them with a bargepole
I quite agree, have been let down by them on a number of occasions and have been insulted by a senior member of their management so will not return. They appear to be more into caravans than motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I bought from Becks and found the sales staff and the service staff helpful and professional .Dont be put off by the young man who answers the phone ,don't think he has done the course yet.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I bought from Becks and found the sales staff and the service staff helpful and professional .Dont be put off by the young man who answers the phone ,don't think he has done the course yet.

That's Johns son Alex, he's ok and has helped me on more than one occasion.
He does come over a bit less than enthusiastically but just his nature.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Either Becks or Simpsons come highly recommended. We bought our Burstner from Becks and traded in our Autotrail.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello all.

Simpsons
Becks
Broadland
Marquis

Many thanks

Richard
Hello and welcome lots of advice here.jim has some info on buying s MH which may be useful to read before you buy!:WelcomeFlag:

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
That's Johns son Alex, he's ok and has helped me on more than one occasion.
He does come over a bit less than enthusiastically but just his nature.

Yeah me too, I suppose they have to get their kids involved. I needed a new plastic runner for the modesty door across the back of the van, we don't use it but the thing was sagging, on collection he gave me one as that was all that broke but I thought a few spares may have been sensible. C'est la vie. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Becks, had last two vans from them, px better than the other Major suppliers. All issues sorted quickly with loan car while work done

IMV most other dealers could learn lot from them, (y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Who ever the dealer is you do not have to buy from them, you could just use them to view a model that might suit you. Then buy else where.

Upvote 0

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
A word of warning ,don't expect to see all the vans that are on their Web sites ,some will be at other depots , so phone in advance just to make sure.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back