Plumbing Thetford into a separate black tank (2 Viewers)

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
??? Another crazy idea ???

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried this and did it work.
I hate emptying the toilet every other day. It's OK on site but when wild camping it is a struggle.
I thought about removing the cassette from the toilet and fitting a holding tank under the van (probably from CAK tanks, pardon the pun). I could then use a large diameter pipe to connect the toilet to the tank, with a one way valve :rolleyes:
My toilet is only used for fluids so I wonder if it would be alright.
I thought about installing a submersible pump to empty it, via a hose pipe.

Any thought on this subject much appreciated.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
??? Another crazy idea ???

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried this and did it work.
I hate emptying the toilet every other day. It's OK on site but when wild camping it is a struggle.
I thought about removing the cassette from the toilet and fitting a holding tank under the van (probably from CAK tanks, pardon the pun). I could then use a large diameter pipe to connect the toilet to the tank, with a one way valve :rolleyes:
My toilet is only used for fluids so I wonder if it would be alright.
I thought about installing a submersible pump to empty it, via a hose pipe.

Any thought on this subject much appreciated.
If it's only fluid ,why not do as the French do , just do it straight into the hedge. Cut out the toilet altogether(y):)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
How do you manage wild camping if your cassette is only used for fluids?
Or are you a bear?
Oy, I resemble that remark :boxing::rofl::rofl:
image.jpeg

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Bag it and bin it (y)
We do almost the opposite. Use the cassette mostly for solids and use the great outdoors for liquids (or the sea if warm) or bars, cafes, public conveniences if we arent staying anywhere particularly "wild". In "cassette saving" mode we can last about 4 - 5 days. I also have a spare cassette and then if worst comes to worst I carry a folding shovel to dig a hole and bury the contents somewhere where it wont be a problem.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
................ then if worst comes to worst I carry a folding shovel to dig a hole and bury the contents somewhere where it wont be a problem.

Can I come and watch when you try that on a Caravan Club Site? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
Into what do you plan to drain this fluid black waste via a hose pipe?

I thought I could go on the French Aires once a week and drain it responsibly.

Anyway. My question was:
"Just wanted to know if anyone has tried this and did it work"

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Many boats have such a system, with the option of a sea discharge for when well offshore and a pump out connection fro use in marinas. Works well and no chemicals are used normally. Also many US RVs have such a system with a gravity drain into an container like a waste hog. You do need to stand upwind of them when dumping waste though. I would thing a spare cassette wold be an easier option

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If you aren't storing solids, you had best ask CAK for a yellow tank or you might get supplied the wrong thing!:)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if you want to drain into a tank i would think connecting to a thetford would be difficult unless you left the cassete in place and drained from that if its only liquids

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
if you want to drain into a tank i would think connecting to a thetford would be difficult unless you left the cassete in place and drained from that if its only liquids
I had a thought that I could drill the cassette and fit a tap which would link to an underfloor tank.
Easy peasy.. :giggle:

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
We do almost the opposite. Use the cassette mostly for solids and use the great outdoors for liquids (or the sea if warm) or bars, cafes, public conveniences if we arent staying anywhere particularly "wild". In "cassette saving" mode we can last about 4 - 5 days. I also have a spare cassette and then if worst comes to worst I carry a folding shovel to dig a hole and bury the contents somewhere where it wont be a problem.
If I am in the van on my own I only have to empty it once a month, McDonalds and the woods are perfect for my waste products, It's the mrs that doesn't like the bushes.:LOL:
She only does 20 miles per gallon (in the thetford) these days :LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is a gadget that fits in the pan of a toilet that lets women have a pee then the pee can be tipped into a separate container .
the other way is simply get her to pee in a bucket ideally one with a lid .
think what you might have available .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
already got an underslung tank that will hold urine, the grey tank. wouldnt be the first time I had a pee in the washbasin because the cassette was nearly full late at night. urine is actually sterile as it exits the bladder unless you have and infection. a quick rinse with hot soapy water and no harm done

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
already got an underslung tank that will hold urine, the grey tank. wouldnt be the first time I had a pee in the washbasin because the cassette was nearly full late at night. urine is actually sterile as it exits the bladder unless you have and infection. a quick rinse with hot soapy water and no harm done
:Eeek: Exactly what are you rinsing in the sink :rofl:

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
If the cassette is only for pee and she doesnt like squatting behind a bush where does she take a dump ?
To go into all the gory details we put a bin liner in the toilet and after she has finished we tie it up and bin in. I already said bag it and bin it, keep up fella :LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To go into all the gory details we put a bin liner in the toilet and after she has finished we tie it up and bin in. I already said bag it and bin it, keep up fella :LOL:
What do you then do with said bag of shit .....
Carry it around until you find somewhere to dump it.

Sounds an awful lot of trouble when you have a perfectly good toilet...even if it does need emptying.

OP
OP
fred flintstone

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
What do you then do with said bag of shit .....
Carry it around until you find somewhere to dump it.

Sounds an awful lot of trouble when you have a perfectly good toilet...even if it does need emptying.

my trouble not yours...

First thing. It is not too difficult to find a bin, they are everywhere, so we don't have to carry it round forever. We have a fire bucket with a lid to put the black sack in until we find one .... can't believe I am sat here at 11pm explaining this to someone................
Second thing. why do people on this forum only want to argue? we are all different. Live and let live.
Some people only comment to be negative... yes i mean you

original post was
Plumbing Thetford into a separate black tank
can't you just answer the question????????????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back