Sep 14, 2016
Alford, Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 1998
Hi,

We've been motorhomers since 1998 when we bought our Hymer B524 from Madisons at Preston - shame they were bought over!

Being small but perfectly formed and designed in a format we love and that works for us, the Hymer has been great for us.

We keep looking at brand new units and are occasionally really excited by the new bells and whistles one can buy (at an ever increasing cost) but still we find it difficult to find something that is so unique or innovative that it out-does our faithful older unit.

We recently bought an Oxygen Movelite air awning with all its bells and whistles so we're learning to spread out a bit when we away.

Now we're both retired we're planning on a lot more use of it including dragging an IFW trailer with a large motorcycle and all the bits in it.

The Hymer has been very reliable with only a few mechanical failures over the years since it was new and for its year, it continues to be so. The only issue nowadays is a rust marked insect net on the kitchen blind unit and a rear bedroom blind that needs to be replaced I think so I'll be asking some stoopid questions I'm sure come the time I need to get it done.

Anyway - I hope to fit in.
Regards
Paul S

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Paul and welcome to fun, I'm sure you'll fit in fine just don't take everyone seroiusly :)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi & Welcome Paul , did i read right that you have been using your Hymer B524 since you bought it new in 1998 and are still using it.. ? if so good for ya :)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Hi & welcome. There are a lot of stoopid questions with their equally stoopid answers!
Our Hymer has the stained fly mesh & I expect we will end up replacing it. The concertina blind in the kitchen is also stained so will probably get some 'Fabricoat' material dye and paint them.
Long live the (older) Hymers!

OP
OP
98B524

98B524

Free Member
Sep 14, 2016
Alford, Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 1998
Hi everyone and thanks for the welcome.
Yes, the van has been going since 98. We felt really bad at the time though. We noticed another older couple having a look at it a few times while we were in the showroom. Only having been inside it for about 5 minutes we said "Yes, please" to the salesman and just then the other couple popped their head in the door to do the same. As the model was brand new it was the only one in the country at the time so they had to wait 4 months for theirs - sorry!
I rang Brownhills this afternoon for a quote for supplying two new blinds cassettes, rear left window and the kitchen window - must make sure to be sitting down when they call back tomorrow!!! :eek:)
I suppose our only real complaint about the van is its paltry payload figure. This is why we usually use a sizeable trailer for all the bits but when wild camping we leave the big bike and just put a couple of e-bikes in the garage with a generator and that's it - the payload is almost bust just with those in!
Anyone else find payload issues with a small Hymer?
P

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Super to hear that Paul that you've had it all that time , as for payload , that is something that most of us have to deal with :( , i'm pretty sure im going to have to get my Bessacarr replated when we start to use our bike rack.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome , :welc:so glad to hear you are still using your lovely vintage van! There are lots of Funsters on here with older ladies and are very proud of them.little face lifts always keep a girl happy!!
Enjoy and looking forward to your posts!:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Our Hymer has 16" wheels and to 'replate' it was just a paperwork exercise from Hymer themselves.
We went from 3500 kg to 3850kg giving us more payload but dropping the towing capacity but our car on an A frame is still inside this,crazily it has made our road tax cheaper!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Bart,

I'm intrigued by your comment about replating the van. How does that work?

P
Hi Paul we replated our last van through a company called SV Tech and it was only a paper exercise, just give them a call with your details and they will tell you if it's a paper exercise or more.

I know some on here have done it themselves and saved the money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back