Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I've been looking for a small Hymer to replace my a-class, for weekend use.

I came across this on eBay so thought I would investigate

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=282156295151&alt=web

Item number: 282156295151

I spoke to the owner last night on the phone for about half an hour... His only concern was the 1.9 ltr engine might be under powered..... Other than that it was in great condition and suggested the best thing was to try it out.

But as it's up in Teesside and I'm in Devon I had to think about whether it was worth the 13 hour round trip.

I slept on it and decided it was, so set off this morning.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived was the cab had been freshly resprayed.... Clearly with the intention of selling....

Next up was the interior. I would describe it as tired but OK with the exception of the drivers seat which was worn through to the foam on one side.

So far, while I was a bit disappointed, it was still worth considering.

Then came the appliances. The owner couldn't get any to work on either gas or electric. Not the boiler (which had some signs of life), not the fridge which only worked on battery and not the water. The newly fitted freshwater pump only came on when he hit it with a screwdriver, and repeated the exercise to turn it off.

The explanation was that they never used the boiler and the fridge had worked last time they had used it but that was 3 years ago and he couldn't remember if it was on gas or electric.

And the gas hob nobs :) were allowing the gas to flow even without a flame.

I decided to give up. So instead suggested we take it for a test drive....At this point the owner admitted that it wasn't taxed or insured so wasn't road legal.

But we fired her up in the drive anyway . The engine sounded rough and the battery light stayed on suggesting alternator problems. But at least it started, which was a first for the afternoon.

He wasn't able to explain why he had suggested a test drive the previous evening but his general defence was that his wife had done the ebay listing and he didn't know what she had said.

I'm well used to wasting my time on viewing, it's all part of the buying process but this, TOTAL FAIL , is in a league of its own. I can't help wondering what the seller expected me to do after driving 6 hours....poke my head in the door and shout Yep, I'll buy it?

It will be interesting to see what happens. Will the auction winner buy or will it get relisted with the usual grumble about time wasters?

In a funny kind of way l have to admire his "pluck" It's probably only fit for breaking but he's decided to give it a lick of paint and describe it as being in good condition (actually perfect condition for its age when we spoke on the phone)

Still I'm not put off. I bought my previous A Class on EBay and she was a gem so in reality I'm one viewing closer to finding the perfect camper! :)

Anyone got one wot works? ;-)
junkhymer.jpg

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
"
This listing (282156295151) has been removed, or this item is not available.
    • Please check that you've entered the correct item number
    • Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
"
This listing (282156295151) has been removed, or this item is not available.
    • Please check that you've entered the correct item number
    • Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago will not be available for viewing.
It works for me but I'm on an android phone. Try using the item number

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
good write up (y) and I have been where you are, but worse still bought o_O, but TBH a MH of that age will come with issues

can't tell now how much they were asking, but good luck with your search (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks for the sympathy..... Its good therapy while I wind down!

....but not sure I agree. Saw a lovely one in Cornwall for little more but at the time wasn't in a position to buy. But these campers do vary alot in price. A respected dealer had one on at £4700 recently and couldn't sell it..shipped it back to Europe.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Keep looking, something will turn up, hopefully closer to home (y)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The very very short description would have put me off. I think looking at vans in your price range you're going to expect something not to work/broken. :(

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
The very very short description would have put me off. I think looking at vans in your price range you're going to expect something not to work/broken. :(
I agree, with hindsight the short description was a "tell". But the bloke was very confident on the phone in stark contrast to his sheepish manner when I turned up lol

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I agree, with hindsight the short description was a "tell". But the bloke was very confident on the phone in stark contrast to his sheepish manner when I turned up lol
Probably s##t himself when you did. :whistle:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I think looking at vans in your price range you're going to expect something not to work/broken. :(
But nothing worked, he would have got a slap for dragging me all that way and petrol money to cover my cost
Obviously had a re spray so clearly he did know about the wife selling it, and knew the OP was coming a long way the very least he could have done was tell him the truth, tosser
Hope the OP finds a van and credit to him for being so understanding, good luck

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But there can be a few bargains there too I bought my mini one of the last proper ones there 3 years ago 21k miles one owner £1850 in pretty good nick just keep looking

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The one important question to ask a seller before leaving home: please list everything that is wrong with it. The reply should help you decide what sort of person you are dealing with. I think it's as important to find a good seller as it is to find a good van. I've bought 3 cars and 2 motorcycles unseen off eBay with no nasty surprises.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i once slapped all the way from walthamstow to heatrow on a friday afternoon to see a van which had been described as rust free to find the wipers doing acrobatics in the rotten scuttle which had been filled with expanding foam wife had to drag me away before i killed him

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Of course you could have put a shout out on here for someone local to give it a quick once over before venturing all that way . . .
(living on Teesside as I do!)
It never crossed my mind. Next time :)

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
But nothing worked, he would have got a slap for dragging me all that way and petrol money to cover my cost
Obviously had a re spray so clearly he did know about the wife selling it, and knew the OP was coming a long way the very least he could have done was tell him the truth, tosser
Hope the OP finds a van and credit to him for being so understanding, good luck
Thanks :) It's always hard to know what's really going on. I wouldn't be surprised if he was "under orders" to sell. As for giving him a slap, I'd say he's well used to getting them and would probably have found it reassuring lol

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I feel you have more self control than me I think!
Not sure about that. I've only given an edited account above . The viewing lasted for about an hour. After about 10 mins I had made my mind up so the remainder of the time was spent getting him to run around testing and trying to fix stuff. As I had wasted 12 hours anyway I didn't mind wasting one more. It was all the more amusing as I had a fair idea why some things didn't work.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
The one important question to ask a seller before leaving home: please list everything that is wrong with it. The reply should help you decide what sort of person you are dealing with. I think it's as important to find a good seller as it is to find a good van. I've bought 3 cars and 2 motorcycles unseen off eBay with no nasty surprises.
I agree 100% I pay as much attention to the seller as to the item. And your other point is a good one too. To some extent I only have myself to blame. I meant to ask him had he tested everything but forgot. That said he probably would have been dumb enough to say yes given his test drive offer.

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
But there can be a few bargains there too I bought my mini one of the last proper ones there 3 years ago 21k miles one owner £1850 in pretty good nick just keep looking
That's the whole fun of it. To uncover the hidden gems amongst the piles of crap....they are out there :)

OP
OP
Triple7

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
i once slapped all the way from walthamstow to heatrow on a friday afternoon to see a van which had been described as rust free to find the wipers doing acrobatics in the rotten scuttle which had been filled with expanding foam wife had to drag me away before i killed him
Yep we've all been there. I guess what annoys me most is there presumption that they are outsmarting people!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Couple of years ago, I looked at a Motorhome that had been for sale in in Cumbria. The guy took it to Teeside for a weekend away, and I went up from Deepest Darkest Yorkshire to view. It was an absolute "Tip",Filthy Carpets, stunk of fag smoke, (which you can NEVER get rid of!) and the state of the Shower/Toilet was "gross". So Much so that after a brief look I said to SWMBO, not to bother getting out of the car!!. And he was looking for 22K!!.

Pete

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Many years ago we drove from Berkshire to Darlington to look at a supposedly fantastic caravan. Only took us one minute to decide not to buy it. The bathroom was covered in mould, the kitchen cabinets were delaminating and were very badly worn. The rest of the van interior was very tired.

Lesson learned, not to believe a sellers description!

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I was very lucky when I bought a fabulous little Nu Venture in Goole when I live in Dorset. The seller was extremely candid on the phone, accepted my offer and met me at the station. His wife had done a fine meal, the van more than exceeded expectations and I traded it in two years later for exactly what I had paid for it. I don't think I'll ever get a bargain like that again! Shame it didn't have hot water or shower as I think I may still have had it!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
"F" reg however you look on it is an old vehicle. Anyone looking to purchase such a van should expect a few teething problems........:)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Advert removed.. and don't know price.. so can't really judge .. except to say most things you say were wrong can be expected in an old van.. many are possibly only due to not being used.. and a service is all that is required.

If you are buying an old motorhome, or even not so old, you need to be able to fix things yourself... have a basic understanding of basic 12v electrics, understand or be prepared to learn how gas appliances work.. if DIY is not your forte it will cost a lot of money to keep them going..

Been said on here many times.. if you own a motorhome of ANY age, you need to know your way around a tool bag.. or be rich.

This of course does not excuse the seller from being less than honest..

what was the price ?

There are good and bad sellers on all auction and selling sites.. I've sold and bought hundreds of items on eBay with no problems..

eBay cannot be held responsible if a seller is less than truthful..

Caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware" on ANY purchase.. be it eBay or the man down the pub.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I would not but a coke can off e-bay,
your loss, I have had absolute results off eBay:), and an occasional failure:cool:

I don't know about anybody else, but I study the whole advert for clues, I look at the obvious and also the not so obvious, for example , the house in the photo, the garden, whats not mentioned, the spelling errors, on the feed back whats been sold previously, its sort of a puzzle that you have to solve.
It beats me why people show items with personal effects still presento_O

Good on the OP for been so calm, I would have vented my spleen more after a 12 hour trip, wasted:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back