Free Member
Sep 13, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi very new to this just bought 1st motor home and a bit paranoid about getting a leak somewhere. I bought privately so no comebacks. Not that I have a leak but prevention is better than cure. Now my question is do I need to reseal the seams or around roof light,vents ect. I have had visual look and the sealant appears to be oozing out around the seams. I understand that this would happen when the seams are screwed down. But I don't know if it is from manufacturer or done since, I would have thought it would have been tidied up if original.
Anyway. Is this part of the maintenance programme or am I being silly and need to stop worrying?
Any input would be welcomed.
Thanks Dave.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would stop worrying but if you are concerned. Get yourself a damp meter and check it out,if the seams are ousing sealant I personally would not do anything to them.(y)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Dave

If sealant is oozing out at least you know they put enough there in the first place.

What have you bought?

Damp meter, is a good precaution.

Martin

Edit read your intro thread and you are right not heard of it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dave the builder

Free Member
Sep 13, 2016
Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Steve sure you are right it's just I know what damage water can do especially if gets under the skin and you don't see it for a while.There I go again told you I was paranoid!!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Just get on and enjoy your van, if it's damp you'll probably smell it or may be signs of mildew etc.
You can spend your life worrying about it get out there and use it.(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I shouldn't worry unless there is something obvious to worry about and if it does leak it can be fixed............it's not the end of the world. If you are really worried get a mobile motorhome/caravan guy out with a damp meter, shouldn't cost you more than £150.00 and no you shouldn't have to reseal all the joints.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi very new to this just bought 1st motor home and a bit paranoid about getting a leak somewhere. I bought privately so no comebacks. Not that I have a leak but prevention is better than cure. Now my question is do I need to reseal the seams or around roof light,vents ect. I have had visual look and the sealant appears to be oozing out around the seams. I understand that this would happen when the seams are screwed down. But I don't know if it is from manufacturer or done since, I would have thought it would have been tidied up if original.
Anyway. Is this part of the maintenance programme or am I being silly and need to stop worrying?
Any input would be welcomed.
Thanks Dave.
I've got a new van and the sealant oozes out in places mainly in places you can't see (roof) so wouldn't worry too much at least it suggest it's sealed
After a number of years am sure a lot of vans have some form of damp but will still have many years of use left in it
Keep on top of it as best you can and enjoy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back