Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
Why are British parking meter wardens so officious?

We have just spent 7 months on the continent, not once did we come across a parking meter warden taking an interest in our van. We don't fit into a normal , we park at the furtherest corner of car parking lots and only we they are not full.

First day in the UK and we get a 50 pound ticket - for taking up more than one bay. Second day we would have got another if I had not talked nicely to the two wardens that were sitting in their van about to write me one.

Do they work on commission?

It seems nonsensical to ticket a vehicle that has paid the parking fees and is not affecting any other vehicles.

This over-population of parking wardens really is a British phenomenon/affliction that could be readily solved by dismissing them all.

On a lighter note the UK countryside is fantastic. We have worked our way up through Essex, East Anglia, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Lincolnshire (what a magnificent cathedral) and Yorkshire. The Yorkshire Moors have been a highlight, in fact all of Yorkshire from Robin Hood Bay and Whitby through to Great Ayton.
We will just stay out of parking lots.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I suspect (but I don't know for sure) that parking enforcement on the Continent is still the responsibility of Local Authorities who allow their employees to use common sense. Most if not all UK Local Authorities contract-out parking enforcement to private companies. Their employees are paid on 'results' and they have 'targets' and are allowed no discretion. Hence the difference. The UK used to use Local Authority employees and common sense and discretion was rife - but no more.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The answer is that they are not. They just have a job to do enforcing a parking regime that has demands far different from other countries and varies even within this country. See my web site for information.
I suspect (but I don't know for sure) that parking enforcement on the Continent is still the responsibility of Local Authorities who allow their employees to use common sense. Most if not all UK Local Authorities contract-out parking enforcement to private companies. Their employees are paid on 'results' and they have 'targets' and are allowed no discretion. Hence the difference. The UK used to use Local Authority employees and common sense and discretion was rife - but no more.
Wrong on so many counts. The majority of LAs still use their own employees, none of which work on "results" or "targets". That has been a myth for years which resulted in many FoI requests in the early years of FoI over 10 years ago

If you can find any LA which has contracted out the job and allows "results" or "targets" in its contract I'd be very interested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
T

Tony Roberts

Free Member
Jul 21, 2015
Christchurch New Zealand
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
The answer is that they are not. They just have a job to do enforcing a parking regime that has demands far different from other countries and varies even within this country. See my web site for information

Your use of the word 'regime' says it all. There is not one other country in Europe or Oceania that has the same zealous approach to dispensing parking tickets as the UK. I wonder if that contributes to the absence of foreign registered motorhomes in the UK.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Your use of the word 'regime' says it all. There is not one other country in Europe or Oceania that has the same zealous approach to dispensing parking tickets as the UK. I wonder if that contributes to the absence of foreign registered motorhomes in the UK.
I used "regime" in its sense of "system" not "government".
I wonder, is there one other country in Europe or Oceania that has the same problems of congestion, combined with the ignorance and selfishness of some motorists?
This story was in our local paper a couple of days ago and is an illustration of the problems car park owners can face. Note the comments of some freeloaders:
“I‘ll just stop shopping there,” said one customer on Facebook.

“I can’t be bothered with it - the only reason I went there is I knew they weren’t checking tickets.”

And another added: “Bye bye Morrisons - hello Aldi.”

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've only ever had a couple of for overstaying the time I paid for and I can't complain about them at all.

If the requirements of the car park are signed properly and you don't read them or read them and decide to ignore them then you have no valid argument when you get a ticket.

If you think, and can show that, the requirements aren't signed correctly then appeal the ticket. If you're correct you will win.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
This story was in our local paper a couple of days ago and is an illustration of the problems car park owners can face.

Interesting that it's Morrisons. The one in Kettering used to be pay and display, operated by them, but for some reason best known to themselves they decided to switch the machines off a couple of years ago. Now the car park is usually crammed full with the hospital staff using it instead of paying for their own onsite parking and freeloaders using it while they shop in the town. If you want to go there to actually use the store you're lucky to find a space.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The UK is not zealous in dispensing parking tickets. I have never had one.
likewise..

those who get a ticket deserve it ... can they not read, can they not drive between white lines.. (no need to answer)

every day I see lazy arses who can't park in the middle of two lines, or parking at an angle, thereby depriving someone else of the full space... one of my pet hates .. sometime's wish I had an old banger to park up against them.. :mad:

we need more parking enforcement.. not less..

tons of pics like this on the web, see it at any supermarket carpark

bad-parking-255196.jpg

Reactions: GJH

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy

Why are British motorists unwilling or unable to obey the rules?

If your vehicle occupied more than one bay why were you too mean to buy just one ticket? If you took two cars into the same car park would you pay for just one of them?

Why did you commit the same offence on day 2? A fine of only £50 is plainly no deterrent for hard core criminals.:devil:

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
My MH is 7.3 m long so too big for 1 bay ,I just have to pay for 2 .
Simples.

Reactions: GJH

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
likewise..

those who get a ticket deserve it ... can they not read, can they not drive between white lines.. (no need to answer)

every day I see lazy arses who can't park in the middle of two lines, or parking at an angle, thereby depriving someone else of the full space... one of my pet hates .. sometime's wish I had an old banger to park up against them.. :mad:

bad-parking-255196.jpg

There is nothing wrong with the first picture; everyone knows that is how that make of car should be parked. I believe it is a requirement of the purchase agreement.

The second picture shows a selfish tw*t, someone who should learn to park or the result of someone who couldn't park properly because of other vehicles that have since left. Take your pick.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Why are British motorists unwilling or unable to obey the rules?

If your vehicle occupied more than one bay why were you too mean to buy just one ticket? If you took two cars into the same car park would you pay for just one of them?

Why did you commit the same offence on day 2? A fine of only £50 is plainly no deterrent for hard core criminals.:devil:
Unfortunately though if your van takes up two spaces and u pay for 2 in the UK still fined as it crosses the lines ! Explain ? As you know in France 2 spaces no problem !! Mind you there are some terrible French car parkers too !!

DigglyDog

Free Member
Jan 25, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 620 SE
Exp
There is nothing wrong with the first picture; everyone knows that is how that make of car should be parked. I believe it is a requirement of the purchase agreement.
It's in the same package that comes with every new Beama together with the video 'How to drive like a (k)nob'
:)

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The answer is that they are not. They just have a job to do enforcing a parking regime that has demands far different from other countries and varies even within this country. See my web site for information.

Wrong on so many counts. The majority of LAs still use their own employees, none of which work on "results" or "targets". That has been a myth for years which resulted in many FoI requests in the early years of FoI over 10 years ago

If you can find any LA which has contracted out the job and allows "results" or "targets" in its contract I'd be very interested.

Wrong on count one. To say they are not officious is too much a generalisation. Some may be, som may not be. For example I stopped n my car in a road which although it had double yellow lines is only a side road with little use. I had stopped to let a passenger out, I was causing no obstruction or inconvenience or danger to other road users and as my passenger walked away I was immediately approached by a community safety person who approached my drivers window and simply said "no stopping here" I had not stopped my engine and said Ok and just as I started to close the window the safety chap said "move right now because I am going to start writing a ticket." I moved off and as I passed the same location I saw the CSO charting with the driver of a mini cab who had been stopped behind me then walk off leaving the mini cab where it was.

I had know the CSO in my previous career when he was a traffic warden and he had the reputation of being officious, even to the point of trying to get unmarked police cars engaged on covert surveillance to move and having to be told in no uncertain terms what to do with his tickets.

Whilst of course it's right that they have much needed job to do, especially in busy towns, it is certainly the case that some may be officious and display a lack of flexibility and discretion or use those qualities incorrectly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting that it's Morrisons. The one in Kettering used to be pay and display, operated by them, but for some reason best known to themselves they decided to switch the machines off a couple of years ago. Now the car park is usually crammed full with the hospital staff using it instead of paying for their own onsite parking and freeloaders using it while they shop in the town. If you want to go there to actually use the store you're lucky to find a space.
Morrisons are not the only company that has such problems but I'm surprised they removed the restriction you mention as they are normally introduced to deal with just such problems.
Unfortunately though if your van takes up two spaces and u pay for 2 in the UK still fined as it crosses the lines ! Explain ? As you know in France 2 spaces no problem !! Mind you there are some terrible French car parkers too !!
The rules about using multiple spaces and being within the lines vary between car park owners (both LAs and private landlords) but it is almost always easy enough to obtain the information for any given car park.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Wrong on count one. To say they are not officious is too much a generalisation. Some may be, som may not be. For example I stopped n my car in a road which although it had double yellow lines is only a side road with little use. I had stopped to let a passenger out, I was causing no obstruction or inconvenience or danger to other road users and as my passenger walked away I was immediately approached by a community safety person who approached my drivers window and simply said "no stopping here" I had not stopped my engine and said Ok and just as I started to close the window the safety chap said "move right now because I am going to start writing a ticket." I moved off and as I passed the same location I saw the CSO charting with the driver of a mini cab who had been stopped behind me then walk off leaving the mini cab where it was.

I had know the CSO in my previous career when he was a traffic warden and he had the reputation of being officious, even to the point of trying to get unmarked police cars engaged on covert surveillance to move and having to be told in no uncertain terms what to do with his tickets.

Whilst of course it's right that they have much needed job to do, especially in busy towns, it is certainly the case that some may be officious and display a lack of flexibility and discretion or use those qualities incorrectly.
You are right, I agree that some are officious - it is wrong to generalise either way. That is no different to life in general though is it? Plenty of officious people in other walks of life :)

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Sorry but the job seems to attract a certain type in this country, I used to take a reasonable amount of cash every week in my business, the bank advised as we live in a rural area & every one knows who's who, it would be better to stop outside the bank (Double Yellow) so that Mrs D could use the lower door (about 5 mtr walk) I could then go & park after she had gone into the bank, I got told by the officious warden it no concern of his whether you got mugged but he'd nick me if he saw me doing it again!!!! Complete & total asshole :mad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
likewise..

bad-parking-255196.jpg

Not exactly busy is it Jim.

bad-parking-england.jpg

I value my car doors far more than taking two spaces and getting moaned at.
I've seen folks throw open their doors without a care in the world they just dented the car next to them....usually kids but often adults alike.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not exactly busy is it Jim.

I value my car doors far more than taking two spaces and getting moaned at.
I've seen folks throw open their doors without a care in the world they just dented the car next to them....usually kids but often adults alike.

Doesn't matter if it's busy or not John,
.. If we all parked like that it would reduce parking by 50% .. and in any case, the picture shows a lazy arse... it's not an expensive car .. just an old banger..

sadly, in carparks dings and dents are inevitable.. I try to park away from others in a quiet corner.. but not using two spaces..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
.. If we all parked like that it would reduce parking by 50% .. and in any case, the picture shows a lazy arse... it's not an expensive car .. just an old banger..

sadly, in carparks dings and dents are inevitable.. I try to park away from others in a quiet corner.. but not using two spaces..
That comment says more about You than the car Jim!!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

A carpark local to us services a gym and cinema. More and more tossers have taken to parking their cars so that they use two spaces but they also park as close as they can to the entrance to the gym. I have less of an issue of people taking up more space if there is lots of space available and they park away from the closests spots to the facilities being used. Selfish tw*ts!

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
No other country in Europe / Oceania has the same volume of vehicles by landmass as the UK. As to parking tickets contributing to the lack of foreign registered MH visitors, hardly. Britain is a beautiful country but is - by comparison to mainland Europe - overcrowded, congested and prone to inclement weather. The cost of crossing that little puddle called the channel and high fuel prices alone must be sufficient deterrent. Why trundle through countries packed with much of what GB has to offer then pay a crossing fee to access a country which (you've probably heard), is plagued by traffic jams and is vehicle unfriendly?

If you think I'm overstating the case ask yourself why so many of us go to Europe?

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
When my dear dad was dying I had to make a sudden trip back from France to the Uk.
I got an overnight boat to Portsmouth and drove to Bournemouth where I lived for 30 years before moving to France.
I had sterling notes but no coins,early morning so stopped in a back street car park which had five minutes before the charges commenced,my car had french plates.Car park was empty.
I went round the corner where I knew there was a tobacconist / sweet shop joined the queue and bought a bottle of water and some chocolate and of course got the required change in coins.
When I got back to the car,there he was writing the ticket.
I explained the situation,showed him the change in my hand,then got in the car and showed him the ferry ticket.
Not interested,he kept saying"you were here when charges commenced"
I then explained why I was there,"well you will have to appeal then"
Of course I knew they couldn't trace my car but an upsetting start to an upsetting visit.
Doesn't really give a good impression of a welcome does it?

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I have had a few tickets over the years - I got one in Tewkesbury on a Sunday for parking in a coach bay and paying the coach price as I couldnt get in any of the spaces without the wheels being outside the bay markings. There were no coaches there when we arrived or when we left an hour later. They did rescind the ticket though so good on them. My best one was Canterbury (before I knew about the P&R) - I spent ages getting the 3.9t Hymer parked with all the wheels in the bay only to come back to a ticket as I hadnt read the regulations saying PLG only and we were PHGV. So lesson learned (also one of the reasons we have downsized - we can park in most places without a height barrier.) However back to the OP - its not the zealousness that gets me - its where on earth do they hide while waiting to dish out the tickets?

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
A carpark local to us services a gym and cinema. More and more tossers have taken to parking their cars so that they use two spaces but they also park as close as they can to the entrance to the gym. I have less of an issue of people taking up more space if there is lots of space available and they park away from the closests spots to the facilities being used. Selfish tw*ts!
In 2011 I broke my knee so the physio said swimming would help get it working for the next season, Local pool & gym, people were driving to the gym from about 200 mtr's away whats that all about? :rofl:
'

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
My MH is 7.3 m long so too big for 1 bay ,I just have to pay for 2 .
Simples.
Go and stay in Barnsley and even if you take two bays you only pay for one, I have an e-mail confirming this from the Council.
On the other hand Stay in Dover and you have to pay for two bays.
Weird.
I asked in Dover if I could just pay half a ticket as my Smart car only took half the parking bay.
Never got a reply :D

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Morrisons are not the only company that has such problems but I'm surprised they removed the restriction you mention as they are normally introduced to deal with just such problems.

The rules about using multiple spaces and being within the lines vary between car park owners (both LAs and private landlords) but it is almost always easy enough to obtain the information for any given car park.

Cant say I havent seen it on the boards in the UK car parks but am not in the UK that often !! Dont see why it is a problem anyway.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Cant say I havent seen it on the boards in the UK car parks but am not in the UK that often !! Dont see why it is a problem anyway.
The rules about use of multiple spaces may not be on the signs in the car parks but they are always in the parking orders, information on which is always obtainable by enquiry to the car park owner (as is information about the other rules).
As in so many aspects of life, unless you know that something is unrestricted check up on it first.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry but the job seems to attract a certain type in this country, I used to take a reasonable amount of cash every week in my business, the bank advised as we live in a rural area & every one knows who's who, it would be better to stop outside the bank (Double Yellow) so that Mrs D could use the lower door (about 5 mtr walk) I could then go & park after she had gone into the bank, I got told by the officious warden it no concern of his whether you got mugged but he'd nick me if he saw me doing it again!!!! Complete & total asshole :mad:
We have a lot of problems in this area with G4S vans (and those of others security companies) causing congestion by parking on double yellows (and in disabled bays) even though there are perfectly adequate delivery areas for the banks/shops they are going to - but the staff of the banks/shops (and the van drivers) can't be bothered opening doors/gates so that they can be used.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back