Mirrorguard protection covers (2 Viewers)

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Call me unlucky but I've had my very expensive mirrors saved three time by using mirror guards.
First time on the motorway a fence post flew off the back of a lorry hitting the mirror very hard - no damage! Second time 4x4 speeding around a bend well over centre of road. Crunch! - no damage. Now finally and of great disappointment to me, I'm travelling along a very straight road in Spain yesterday and you could see clearly half a mile ahead. The road was narrow but not very and just required caution. In the distance approaching us is another MH with big mirrors the same as ours. As we approached each other I pulled right over as far as I could and slowed right down as a precaution. He came the other way without slowing or moving over and smashed my mirrorguard into two which takes some doing! I stopped immediately but he continued on . My mirror survived once again although new guards required . £100+ but still saved me a few hundred quid. (£400) I'm told.
If the bloke who is responsible for this and you'll know who you are reads this- well you need to drive more carefully! I don't think a Funster would be responsible though. I have a dash cam and will play it back possibly sharing it. We'll see. Get Mirrorguardd Funsters, don't wait until it's too late. Happy Motorhoming.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why 100 quid for 1.30p worth of plastic and stickers? If it was a sensible price he would sell hundreds of the things.
He does sell hundreds of them already
Why lower the price ?
Nobody ever made money in business selling stuff for less than its true value
ask @eddievanbitz

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Why 100 quid for 1.30p worth of plastic and stickers? If it was a sensible price he would sell hundreds of the things.

Whoever "he" is would have the same turnover from selling 77 x £1.30 as 1 x £100 but far less profit and far more work.

An article is worth what someone will pay you for it.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
They are now £140, not £100. That's why I bought the cheaper alternative, less than half the price. Even that's expensive.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
IMHO they are worth every penny we had them on our Autotrail and saved the mirrors a few times. Can't get them for the Hymer though.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Just like the OP, I have functionally tested mine on a few occasions. One day they will fails as well and I will be straight on to ordering some more.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Well I look forward to seeing your version "On sale soon"

It would seem from the positive comments on here that the people who have had them fitted and have actual experience of them in action think that the price is "sensible"

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I am not questioning the effectiveness of the things, but the price to the consumer. If I could manufacture them and charged £140 quid as someone has claimed they can cost, I would at least make them out of carbon fibre!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I am not questioning the effectiveness of the things, but the price to the consumer. If I could manufacture them and charged £140 quid as someone has claimed they can cost, I would at least make them out of carbon fibre!
I carry a spare passenger side FIAT mirror, costs around £100 upwards on fleabay......

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I had almost 18 years using R-V`s in the UK and Europe. Never lost a mirror even though both where LHD and substantially wider than your average "Euro-box". So Have I been Lucky, or do I drive with more forethought?.

BTW, I lost 3 mirrors in 2 years driving Trucks!!. ALL three times to "Tipper`s"!.

I dont actually know what a Fiat "Head" would cost, but with two electric and heated mirrors I guess It would not be cheap!

Pete

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I had almost 18 years using R-V`s in the UK and Europe. Never lost a mirror even though both where LHD and substantially wider than your average "Euro-box". So Have I been Lucky, or do I drive with more forethought?.

BTW, I lost 3 mirrors in 2 years driving Trucks!!. ALL three times to "Tipper`s"!.

I dont actually know what a Fiat "Head" would cost, but with two electric and heated mirrors I guess It would not be cheap!

Pete
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=351528298598&alt=web

£125 for a Ducato long arm heated passenger mirror

Last edited:

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
I had them on our Arapaho we purchased in June, went across to France this August and going round the 1st bend on the motorway from exiting the train the near-side cover blew off. :swear:

Hoping to see the "Mirror Guard" man at the NEC next month .. ..

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Gloombusters

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Thanks for all your comments - some very interesting.
All I can say is that I never travel without Mirrorguards and put them on immediately I took delivery of my new vehicle. They have saved my mirrors three times, so in theory probably over a grand saved. One of the main things at the moment is that I can carry on with my travelling in Spain with a near side mirror and not going off searching for a dealer who can supply and fit. To me I think that's well worth the money and a good investment. Ps don't bother with cheaper copies.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
What's snake oil?

I looked at Millenco's offering at Lincoln show and opted for MirrorGuards.
IMHO, I thought that MirrorGuards were a better ABS, slightly more rigid and a snug fit than those from Millenco.
Plus, I liked the fact that I was supporting some one man band British guy with my purchase, so was happy to pay a little extra for the privilege.
However, if you look at most accessories and optional extras for the leisure industry (caravans/Motorhomes) - they've all got their price. It's an expensive hobby.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Totally agree, the cheaper ones are not as good. I also like its a small company :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've looked at quite a few of the MirrorGuard copies. They really are cheap and nasty imitations made to look good rather than do anything. The copies are great for hiding an already broken mirror back, but thats about it. IMO Only the Mirrorguard offer any worthwhile protection.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What the raw material cost is and what his margins are is nobody else's business.

They're sold for a price the market can support and judging from the thread a while ago I would say he's got it spot on.

I always laugh when this kind of thread comes up. Someone finds a product and decides it's too expensive for them and so therefore, based on nothing whatsoever apart from not wanting to spend the money, the vendor must be "ripping people off" or "selling snake oil" or even just "overpriced."

Nope. They're selling their product for a price that enough people are happy to pay to keep them in business.

I could sell my products for about 98% less than I do and still cover costs but if I did it wouldn't be worth my time and effort and definitely not worth the aggravation of dealing with whining customers who think they know my business better than I do.

My only niggle with Mirrorguard is that I can't buy some because he doesn't make them for A-class mirrors.

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Not available for my van either!

Dave

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Our ( original) Mirrorguards got hit twice big time over the summer, once by white van man in UK, once in France (where the impact knocked the large mirror glass out so it was dangling on its wires but undamaged), and only damage was some scuff marks on the casing - having had to replace a mirror before, these guards really work! They not only saved us the cost of a replacement mirror, they also saved the inconvenience of driving for weeks without a mirror as continental mirror glasses are not available in the UK (they have different curvature to the UK ones). Both times I knew we were going to be hit, but couldn´t do anything about it other than slow down and try to squeeze past, but to no avail - it would be great to be able to press a button and retract the mirror before it gets hit, but I´ve never seen anything like that available for our X250. It also helps to make sure your mirror isn´t stiff to move, if it moves freely it reduces the impact a little.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back