A Question of Two Batteries (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Just changed motorhomes and being 'a bit of a scrooge', I removed the 2nd Leisure battery fitted to my former 2 year old motorhome with a view to using it on the new one. Trouble is, the "older" battery is rated at 100Ah and the battery on the new MH is rated at 90Ah. The batteries are also different makes- although they are both proper camping leisure batteries.
Can anyone tell me how they should be connected and whether they need any fuses (or resistors) between them?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If beside each other and connected in parallel with short cable, you don't need fuses...

connect + pos to + pos and -neg to -neg

For optimal performance they should be the same make, age and capacity.. in the real world, it doesn't matter too much ..

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Absolutely excellent Scotjimland. My job for the weekend.
Thanks Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Would I be right in thinking that both batteries, connected as above, would be recharged by a) the engine whilst on the move and b) by the charging unit when hooked up to the mains ?
Also, when in use would both batteries be drained together or one after the other ?
Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Would I be right in thinking that both batteries, connected as above, would be recharged by a) the engine whilst on the move and b) by the charging unit when hooked up to the mains ?
Also, when in use would both batteries be drained together or one after the other ?
Thanks

a) yes,
b) yes,

and drained together

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Make and capacity don't matter.
The charger will only see them as one 190ah battery.
Age, on the other hand, does matter.
If the older one is more than a couple of years old it may have a reduced capacity and will pull the better one down to a reduced capacity as it tries to bring the older back to full capacity when not on charge..

OP
OP
ian4apenny
May 20, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD728
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks TC for asking the other questions I should have asked and Scotjimland & Pappajohn for supplying the answers. The battery from my past MH is indeed no older than 2 years.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
For the charging to work at best they would both need to be the same type ie. Gel, AGM, or Lead Acid, also the control panel again depending on the make and features may need to be setup for the larger Ah.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
and thanks to pappajohn.
We don't want the weight and "nuisance" of a generator or the expense of a roof mounted solar panel, so a second battery would seem to suit us best.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and thanks to pappajohn.
We don't want the weight and "nuisance" of a generator or the expense of a roof mounted solar panel, so a second battery would seem to suit us best.
Solar panel won't cost a lot more than a decent battery, but will be considerably lighter.
Average 110ah battery may be 20+kg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back