May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Hi all,

What are members thoughts on the necessity to insulate the water tanks. We are spending 3mths in Breamar Scotland from mid Dec. to late March, & what material would be used if considered necessary. We have the 2007 Chausson Allegro83
(57 plate)

BeeJay

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its indoors then no need.

if its underslung then it may well be worth it.

closed cell foam sheets (you dont want it absorbing water)would be a good bet and this could even be glued to form a box using a rubber adhesive

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
If it's only the waste tank I would not bother, I would leave the tap on drain hose open and use a bucket if you expect freezing temps. At least the waste should not freeze.
Fresh water different use pappajohns method if tank outside, or get tank heater.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Thanks pappajohn, I'll source some & fit it to the fresh water tank, if I can get at it.

I'll go alaong with DESCO's thoughts on the waste tank.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
If temperatures are likely to be below freezing at night and at or only slightly above freezing in the day, then just insulating external tanks will only work for a day or so. Much longer than that and you will need some form of tank heating that includes any external pipework as well.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
A method I have used, a little more expensive, a little more profesional, can be painted, waterprove if not injured.

Cans of spray foam will do a fine job. if you wanted to you can clad the foam in very thin plywood as the foam setts and you will have stone protection as well.

Doug...

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Hi American Dream,

That link is A1, but trying to find a similar site in the UK is proving to be difficult.
All that is being thrown up are heater type mats etc for hydrophonics, fish tanks etc.

No matter how I type in the request for Google, I can't find a site that gives the same type of heater mats as your link.

I'll post-up if/when I find one.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Might be worth looking in caravan spare part suppliers I am sure have seen something like a 12V submersible heater like used in fish tanks but can't remember where, that does the same job.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have a Chausson Welcome, built similar to OP's Allegro.

The freshwater tank is inboard and should be frost free and no danger of freezing. The waste tank is underslung and, as mentioned previously, if the drain valve is left open to drain into a bucket or similar then, again, no problem.

The Allegro is a French model and very popular with the French when going into the Alps for winter skiing. Also you should check to see if the waste tank already has a heater. After all the Allegro range is top of the model line-up and has lots of 'bells and whistles' that other models don't have.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
do bear in mind these heaters draw a minimum of 4 amps your poor batteries will soon be flat if you are not on hookup
internal tanks will still freeze if you don't have heating on inside. Best to fill the tanks with whiskey then no more problems.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
do bear in mind these heaters draw a minimum of 4 amps your poor batteries will soon be flat if you are not on hookup
internal tanks will still freeze if you don't have heating on inside. Best to fill the tanks with whiskey then no more problems.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I like my Whisky (Scottish) with a dash of water, thats why I need to keep the fresh water tank liquid. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you leave the drain tap open as the last drops come out they will freeze eventually blocking the pipe. Better to let the tank fill then empty it all in one go, of course this all goes tits up if you are always emptying hot water :ROFLMAO: (melting the said ice)
My own tanks are under slung surrounded by some thick (30 mm ) solid -ish foam that does not soak up water (no idea what it is called ) and on the inside I leave a dish cloth in a bowl a couple of inches deep in bleach and water that has yet to freeze (2 yrs winter ) and never bother draining the boiler, but then again my baby is a lot better insulated than any normal van ::bigsmile::winky: -- see insulation at the bottom of description--:thumb:
terry

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
cak tanks sell 15w tank heaters, and combined with insulation should be good for -26. Thermostatically controlled. I've been in -11 and its been fine.

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
@ Spacerunner, I can't see anywhere in the bumf that came with the MH that there's a wastewater heater fitted, nor is there an obvious switch to be seen.

@Terry, The drain on the Chausson isn't a tap, but a sluice similar in size to the sluice in the Thetford toilets. It's opened & closed with a pull/push bar from the side of the bodywork.

@ Activecampers, I've dealt with CAK Tanks in the past. I once fitted an additional freshwater tank to a Fiat Compass Ducato we had. So I'll take a look at their site.

Thanks again to all contributors.

BeeJay

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi BeeJay ,If you leave the sluce open it will still freeze the last dregs of water probably creating another problem by not allowing you to close it :cry::cry::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
B*gg*r it, I think I'll stop at home. :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::ROFLMAO: Where's that scotch?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back