Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
I see the good ol Daily Mail are running a competition to "win a £50k luxury Auto-trail motorhome" (as they put it), one of those "collect 8 tokens and send off with your details" affairs.

Even though no one in my family (self included) has ever won anything significant, I figure my chances of winning still outweigh those of ever being able to afford a new MH, so I'm giving it a go.

Would love to have the dilemma of whether to keep it or chop it straight in for a used German marque. Maybe they offer a cash prize alternative - shhh please, dreaming.

Wish me luck.

Dave

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Good luck David ... SOMEBODY has to win it so why not YOU. I once won a luxury traIler tent in a competition .. it was third prize.. the prize before that was a mini car and THAT prize winner had to rush off as she had also won a caravan in another competition.

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Good luck David ... SOMEBODY has to win it so why not YOU. I once won a luxury traIler tent in a competition .. it was third prize.. the prize before that was a mini car and THAT prize winner had to rush off as she had also won a caravan in another competition.
It's hard not to be envious of people like that isn't it? You'd swear that if they stood in a bucket of sh@t they'd come out smelling of roses.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Good luck in the competition.

Just a shame you had to knock British manufacturers in your post.:cool:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Nah.. I think he would buy a Burstner.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If it is okay with you I will give the competition a miss...

I would rather sleep on a bed of nails impregnated with South American natives' arrow poison and wash in a sewage works than even look at something that had an association with that dreadful rag... :whistle:

Once would be pretty unbearable but having to purchase 8... well it is simply not going to happen. (n)

JJ :cool:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
It's hard not to be envious of people like that isn't it? You'd swear that if they stood in a bucket of sh@t they'd come out smelling of roses.

I knew a couple from a rough part of the North East who won a big prize on the pools.
They decidedd to splash out on a holiday to the States and while in Las Vegas they managed to drop a jackpot worth thousands of dollars on the one arm bandits.
Lucky?
The bloke died just a few years later of alcoholism. I dont know what happened to his wife.

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
If it is okay with you I will give the competition a miss...

I would rather sleep on a bed of nails impregnated with South American natives' arrow poison and wash in a sewage works than even look at something that had an association with that dreadful rag... :whistle:

Once would be pretty unbearable but having to purchase 8... well it is simply not going to happen. (n)

Ah, but I've got that covered. My neighbour gets the Mail and, knowing I was looking into getting a MH, brought the competition to my attention. She buys the paper, I get the tokens, result all round. All entry will cost me is an envelope, ink and postage stamp.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
In the early 1980s the Daily Express ran a Bingo Competition.

Cards were handed out and numbers were published on a daily basis. The prize was about £10,000, a lot of money in those days.

Our friends had booked a holiday on the Costa del Sol, (as you did then, if you could afford it). On the day they were due to leave they bought the DM at the airport and realised they had won.

As the holiday had only cost them about £400 they left the airport and registered their claim, missing their holiday.

Owing to some editing problem the number published that day meant that there had been thousands of winners. I believe our friends won less than £10.

The DM stood by their T&Cs that said in the event of more than one winner the pot would be shared. A £400 holiday swapped for less than a tenner!:mad::(

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Daily Mail Win A Luxury £50,000 Auto Trail Motorhome competition.

Collect 8 tokens from our special competition issues of The Daily Mail during September and complete the following:

"I would like to own a luxury £50,000 British made Auto Trail Motorhome because......"

..... I could hide loads of illegal migrants in it when travelling back to good old Blighty via Calais.

All entry will cost me is an envelope, ink and postage stamp.

Plus the loss of all personal honour and integrity when you have to comply with Promotion T&C small print item 24:

24. The Winner may be required to take part in reasonable publicity and PR activity at the request of the Promoter.

You'll be marked as a serial Daily Mail reader for life. The horror, the horror.

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Good luck in the competition.

Just a shame you had to knock British manufacturers in your post.:cool:
Being a complete novice to this MH malarkey any opinions I have as to who produces the best vans are based purely upon what I've read on here. Let's just say Brit vans don't have the shiniest of reputations. And yes, I do rather like Burstners.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Being a complete novice to this MH malarkey any opinions I have as to who produces the best vans are based purely upon what I've read on here. Let's just say Brit vans don't have the shiniest of reputations. And yes, I do rather like Burstners.
No insult meant.

As an owner of six, successive British motorhomes, I feel that they suffer from a reputation that is not deserved.

They are knocked for possible water ingress that may be picked up at annual inspection, and cost a couple of hundred pounds to put right, but some (nameless) German products blow their headlights at £1500 a time.

I also like German models, appreciating that their quality is usually high, though not as good as they used to be. However, I find that their layouts tend not to be what I want.

People will always differ as to what they like, thank goodness, or everything would be the same. However the tendency to knock all things British seems to be fashionable at present. Some people love a £60,000 German model while others can only afford a ten year old Brit. unit. But we all still have fun. That's the important thing.:)(y)

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
24. The Winner may be required to take part in reasonable publicity and PR activity at the request of the Promoter.

You'll be marked as a serial Daily Mail reader for life. The horror, the horror.

Provided they're picking up the tab I don't give a toss. Too old and too poor to be proud.

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
No insult meant.

As an owner of six, successive British motorhomes, I feel that they suffer from a reputation that is not deserved.

They are knocked for possible water ingress that may be picked up at annual inspection, and cost a couple of hundred pounds to put right, but some (nameless) German products blow their headlights at £1500 a time.

I also like German models, appreciating that their quality is usually high, though not as good as they used to be. However, I find that their layouts tend not to be what I want.

People will always differ as to what they like, thank goodness, or everything would be the same. However the tendency to knock all things British seems to be fashionable at present. Some people love a £60,000 German model while others can only afford a ten year old Brit. unit. But we all still have fun. That's the important thing.:)(y)
No insult taken Maison. In addition to being old and poor I'm also thick skinned plus, in all probability, a 10 or more year old Brit van is what I'm likely to end up with on my budget. But there's nothing wrong with dreaming.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Many, many moons ago I was doing some trade show work for Kodak.

After a meeting at their (then) head quarters in Hemel Hempsted (by the round abouts) I was in the promotions office and one of the staff shouted across to another...

"There is no answer, what should I do?"

"Phone the next number..."

Moments passed...

"Hello, is that Mr Bloggs? This is Kodak here. I am delighted to tell you that you have won the competition you entered last month..."

The guy and his wife "won" a weekend in New York with first class flights and three nights in a five star hotel.

It was a pity for the actual winner that he was out when they made that call.

He will never know...

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Go for it ! Its a bit of fun!!It's costing you nowt and like somebody else said someone has got to win!! Fingers crossed!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
No insult meant.

Absolutely correct. I think generally over the last 10 years or so the build quality dropped but apparently is coming back.
Personally I really like British products in general. However, we chose our moho because it ticked every box. The manufacturer wasn't the initial choice. We bought from a site that sold a variety of second hand Motorhomes. We fell in love with the our moho, the layout, the space vastly more pros than cons, the colour and size. In fact, in our case, size did matter. It just happened to be a Hymer. We've had it for 10 years now, re upholstered in leather, renewed carpets, Gaslow gas etc and our luxurious home from home. It's not for everyone and we're pleased about that. Ours is pretty unique, no actually, in essence all Hymer Exsis SK and SG models were unique. We've yet to find 2 models identical. Not considering the individual changes we make but the basic layout, the different types of seating, fridges, shower rooms, cookers, ovens etc. Each one seems a concept and it works.
We didn't choose German manufacturer, it chose us

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@EX51SSS
We felt exactly the same about our current m/h.

The layout was exactly what we wanted. The actual make and model didn't come into it.

18 months and 16,000 miles later we are still delighted with our choice. Only time will really tell how good quality of build etc is.

In the meantime we can all simply get on with enjoying life while we still have it.(y)

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I knew a couple from a rough part of the North East who won a big prize on the pools.
They decidedd to splash out on a holiday to the States and while in Las Vegas they managed to drop a jackpot worth thousands of dollars on the one arm bandits.
Lucky?
The bloke died just a few years later of alcoholism. I dont know what happened to his wife.
Probably having a holiday at tax payers expense for poisoning his vodka

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
@EX51SSS
We felt exactly the same about our current m/h.

The layout was exactly what we wanted. The actual make and model didn't come into it.

18 months and 16,000 miles later we are still delighted with our choice. Only time will really tell how good quality of build etc is.

In the meantime we can all simply get on with enjoying life while we still have it.(y)
@maison, personally I think that is the ideal way. We certainly didn't particularly look at the make initially. We're not one for 'keeping up with the Jones's', in fact on many occasions we've been the smallest moho in the area but it's amazing how many people want to see inside and are shocked by its internal room. It's a tardis but that's going on about and getting back to the point, if a moho ticks all or most of your boxes then that's the one. Regular servicing and annual habitation tests are our necessities. I appreciate a damp tester would be cheaper but I want someone who knows exactly where to use it and also gives me a report. Nobody can spoil your personal choice

OP
OP
Cilfan

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Well the "winner will be notified by" date having come and gone I think I can reasonably say "I didn't win"!!!

Am I distressed, traumatised, gutted? Nah, not a bit, coz we won on Euromillions.

Now, just gotta decide which gin palace to spend our £5.70 on. Decisions, decisions!! Any suggestions?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back