Can the vehicle alarm damage the ECU? (1 Viewer)

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Currently stuck in France after 4 days now with our motorhome in a Gararge 20 kilometres away after a breakdown on our first campsite.
Communication is proving difficult with my school French just not able to come anywhere near understanding what the Garage is saying. Fortunately a Tugger ( Ill never knock them again :) ) who speaks fluent French spoke with them yesterday and they believe that the sigma vehicle alarm / immobiliser has damaged the engine ECU and now the engine turns over but won't fire.
Four days in and I'm getting concerned that they don't really know what to do, the Mechanic said he has a friend who will be coming to see if he can repair it! I guess / hope he's an autoelectrician and not the local Farmer!
If not it will require a new ECU cost around 900 euros plus labour ouch :(
Just wondered if anyone has encountered this and would welcome any advice especially @eddievanbitz
Thanks, Jez

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had a similar issue when I overloaded a 12v Cigar Lighter socket and it turned out it had blown one of the fuses under the bonnet. That was on a Peugeot Van. But I am guessing the garage will have checked fuses. Unfortunately I cant remember which fuse it was though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
We had a similar issue when I overloaded a 12v Cigar Lighter socket and it turned out it had blown one of the fuses under the bonnet. That was on a Peugeot Van. But I am guessing the garage will have checked fuses. Unfortunately I cant remember which fuse it was though.
Yes, some fuses are squirrelled away under the bonnet !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
damaged the engine ECU and now the engine turns over but won't fire.

Thanks, Jez

To me that shouts "immobiliser". I think the normal method is to break the feed to the fuel pump. Have they said they know the fuel pump is running ?

If Sigma is the problem remove that before starting on ECU.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I would suggest that you contact the installation company and establish what they did, get the notes emailed to the garage and ask them to "reverse" what the installer did.

So long as it is correctly installed I cannot think of a situation that the system could damage a modern ECU

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hope you get your MH sorted soon and get your holiday back on track

Reactions: f6c

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Good luck with this. It may be worth using a "translate" app on your smartphone if you have one.. or using a translate website on your laptop. You cold paste a couple of the replies above into it and have a slow but successful conversation with the garage.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Currently stuck in France after 4 days now with our motorhome in a Gararge 20 kilometres away after a breakdown on our first campsite.
Communication is proving difficult with my school French just not able to come anywhere near understanding what the Garage is saying. Fortunately a Tugger ( Ill never knock them again :) ) who speaks fluent French spoke with them yesterday and they believe that the sigma vehicle alarm / immobiliser has damaged the engine ECU and now the engine turns over but won't fire.
Four days in and I'm getting concerned that they don't really know what to do, the Mechanic said he has a friend who will be coming to see if he can repair it! I guess / hope he's an autoelectrician and not the local Farmer!
If not it will require a new ECU cost around 900 euros plus labour ouch :(
Just wondered if anyone has encountered this and would welcome any advice especially @eddievanbitz
Thanks, Jez
Thinking about it, what chassis and what year? Please

OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
Sorry not been near WiFi. Okay we are back and running now however the ECU has been replaced ( I think - see following post ) and the alarm / immobiliser removed. This has cost 750 euros. Quite what has gone wrong is still a mystery ( language barrier!) The Van is 2001 2.8jtd ducato.
Anyway back with the Van which quite honestly looked like it had been vandalized inside day before and will put it behind us.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
To me that shouts "immobiliser". I think the normal method is to break the feed to the fuel pump. Have they said they know the fuel pump is running ?

If Sigma is the problem remove that before starting on ECU.
Thanks Hilldweller, that would make sense regards the symptoms. Hope they haven't rectified the fault by just removing the sigma and charging me for an ECU that wasn't needed! I should have insisted on seeing the removed item, they did charge me 5 euros for disposal of it ( an eco payment I guess ) but who knows? We are only on the other side of the Channel but it felt like we were in Timbuctoo at times.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Feel your pain. Just had a similar experience in italy. Kicking myself now as im mot convinced one of the parts replaced was what i have paid for.
But we live an learn.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Its terrible when people stick the arm into you as they think you are loaded as you have a motorhome ,, well i sure aint loaded :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back