Hopefully this day will be the last of the heatwave. 111 degrees

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Think last night was the worst I've experienced this summer, didn't drop below 30 degrees C and not a breath of air, not comfortable sleeping conditions.
Been doing a little work outside until around 11am but thats it after that. Between the two of us we can easily drink 8-10 Ltrs of water a day. Other than going out socially can't remember the last time I wore a shirt.

@Vic clothes are in short supply on many of the ladies out here, Have to wear sun glasses so Emma can't see where I'm looking:winky:

Heading North in a couple of weeks, soon be complaining then about the cold.

Shawn.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Suppose you spent the day in your pool? We spent it under a nebulizado (mist\fogger spray).

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It often gets that hot in Portugal and Spain, but folk still go there and surprised by the heat.

It's a rather splendid 28 - 31 max, here every day :)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Suppose you spent the day in your pool? We spent it under a nebulizado (mist\fogger spray).

Having been hit by a series of diverse mechanical breakdowns in the last few days and, despite it being quite warm, even for a proper rufty tufty, I set out to sort some of these troubles out.

I did pop into the pool at the start of the day (noon) and again at the end of the day (8pm, when the pool thermometer gave a reading of 30° C) but in the in between time, I experienced one of the most frustrating days ever.

The guy I had down to fix the little mower was on holiday. (25 kms drive). The front bicyle tyre is still flat as the chosen supermarket (another 20 kms futher on) did not stock inner tubes. The NOS mifi, despite having a two year guarantee, couldn't be replaced (warranty didn't cover the battery)

20160903_183457.jpg

It was a twenty five minute walk in the sun to find the shop....

I didn't buy a replacement, as the newer NOS wifi didn't have ariel sockets. Old one still works.

At the MEO shop (another 20 minutes to find) The mifi I bought (because I was told it would give better internet at QMJ) didn't work. After spending an hour and a half in the shop (after purchase) trying to get it to work, the assistant told me the network was down because of the wild fires. I left the shop having been told it should be alright in a day or two... maybe!

I couldn't buy as much fresh milk as usual because the main fridge is struggling in this weather (needs a service and new fans) and the Engel compressor fridge is a tad on the small side.

Back at QMJ, NOS now seems to be working fine (signal goodish like it was before last week) whereas MEO, although now actually working) is as slow as some central defenders I have seen recently. €80 more or less down the pan.

I was so fed up and hot, I didn't treat myself to a Burger King Double Whopper (with extra cheese and bacon but no pickle) and now I wish I had.

But... the pool is truly magnificent and has totally improved my life here during this pretty warm period... (meant to be 40°C tomorrow.)

Best €50 (plus extras) I have spent in a long, long, long time.

Intex Pools Rool. You two really must get one for your rear lawn (on the edge of the forest).

So just need to get the little mower back, the big mower fixed (new engine and starter motor arriving from Blighty in due course), pick up the chainsaw as soon the chain oiler is sorted, service the fridge, source and fit a new inner tube to the bicycle (formerly owned by "Lance" Davies) and check why my water heater is behaving oddly and all will be back to peace and harmony here in Paradise.

JJ :cool:

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
JJ,would you believe I have a fan running 24/7 on the fridge in the utility room!! How weird is that,set me thinking what must they do in Africa??
Going down to a very comfortable 33c today in the Alentejo,guess I will have to dig a sweater out after 44c yesterday and the day before.:love:

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It often gets that hot in Portugal and Spain, but folk still go there and surprised by the heat.

We new it would be hot but having not lived in a hot country before wanted to experience a whole summer in Portugal. We needed to know if we could cope with it if we decide to settle down here for a while. A few things we've learnt and will do difarantly next year.

Shawn

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years

We were under no illusions that it was going to be hot, but it has been like this since end of June. Even the locals here in Central Portugal say it is unusual to be hot for this length of time.

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We were under no illusions that it was going to be hot, but it has been like this since end of June. Even the locals here in Central Portugal say it is unusual to be hot for this length of time.

What part of central Portugal are you relaxing in?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
View attachment 123057 Hopefully this day will be the last of the heatwave. 111 degrees

I wonder how many funsters still work in Fahrenheit? I personally wouldn't have a clue what 111F was like. Now Celsius I understand totally. Seems to the that Celsius make more sense, 100c boiling point of water 0c water freezes is easier to understand.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I wonder how many funsters still work in Fahrenheit? I personally wouldn't have a clue what 111F was like. Now Celsius I understand totally. Seems to the that Celsius make more sense, 100c boiling point of water 0c water freezes is easier to understand.

Me too, but the gauge was set on F at the time the photo was taken, but the other half prefers it that way. To give you some idea , we changed it to see and it was showing 44C at one time, and this was not in the sun by the way as some people gauge it.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The only bit of rain we have seen this summer was not enough to lay the dust,
about the only cloud was smoke from wild fires (that did give us a little relief from the sun for most of a day)

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
44c in the shade Monday at Tomar, found a little shade and a small bar by the river and couldn't manage to do very much else thanks to the heat. Then we returned to the dam at Castello do Bode to book into a superb site (lat. : 39.540995 long. : -8.318245) to watch the sun slowly turning misty as a result of smoke from forest fires over at Leiria . Thankfully miles away, and soon under control

27c at midnight, it was a challenging night. The next day we turned for Fatima avoiding the toll roads to see for ourselves what all the Holy Molies found so fascinating. 42c at peak, and the streets were chock full of pilgrims, tourist shops selling tacky religious paraphernalia and stray dogs. Beaten by the heat, we ended up making for home (near Caldas da Rainha/Sao Martinho), a lower temperature (34c) and a refreshing dip in our "cool" pool (31c).

A lot more comfortable today (29c) and feeling a bit sorry for ourselves that we cut short our exploration of Tomar, but the heat was too great to do much, and it is a beautiful part of Portugal, so we will be returning in the next few weeks. In the meantime, the pool is still the best place to be

Paradise? Definitely

Aug 21, 2014
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20 yrs on and off
:smiley: 85 degrees (in old money)in the van today :smiley: decided to head for the beach today and are back at Berck Sur Mer (now has barrier and you need ten euros cash cos it doesn't take cards). Been in the sea for the first time this year :smiley: perfect place to be with 2 hot dogs as they can go on the beach, have a swim and cool down :smiley: Sitting outside van, sipping a cool glass if vino :smiley: such a hard life ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Couldn't you move to somewhere more pleasant?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Couldn't you move to somewhere more pleasant?
I'm not sure anyone said that central Portugal was unpleasant, just that the extreme heat makes it a tad uncomfortable at times. It's on the same latitude at San Francisco, after all

Small price to pay for the very many other advantages of being here

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
92'f + here at Montagne Sur Gironde today.
Brisey.

Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are near Oliveira do Hospital, where are you?

Only two weeks ago we were doing a housesit at Andorinha, about 6km west of O do Hospital. Had nearly three weeks there, lovely area and town. We are now back in our van volunteering on a small holding close to Marvao, a short distance from the border with Spain.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Only been 34 c here today. Still very warm so we are having to sleep with the air con running.
It's a hard life....

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Well it is too damn hot in Lancashire at night for my liking!! 28 degrees at bedtime so night spent on top and not in the bed!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back