Help Please - Fridges...which is best? (1 Viewer)

Tasng4

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Auverne Rhone-Alpes
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit 1984
Exp
April 2016
Please can someone help. We've bought our first camper and it came with an Electrolux 212 3 way fridge. The van is a 1984 Transit MK2 and I think the fridge is original. We're currently on holiday 100kms west of Toulouse in south western France and is can't cope.

The ambient temperature is about 35degs, we can make ice but the fridge won't cool below 15-20 degrees!!! Whilst this figure is when using gas 240v is better and 12v worse. Is this normal for this type of fridge?

I don't want to replace it unless there is a problem, however, if I do what's the best type to replace with? I like the idea of gas as we can use it when stopped away from a site. I've seen 12V/24V compressor fridges but these would drain the batteries.

Any advice gratefully received.

Deleted User
In my experience 3 way fridges will always struggle in those temperatures, mine is relatively new and has had little use and struggled in temperatures of 25 - 30 in the UK earlier this Summer.

I have since fitted 2 120mm computer fans to draw out the warm air which has worked so far, if you do a search on here for fridge fans you should find some useful information.

A quick fix that might work and one that I have tried in the past is to take the vent covers off, also try and keep the fridge side of the van out of the sun.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
A quick fix that might work and one that I have tried in the past is to take the vent covers off, also try and keep the fridge side of the van out of the sun.
Worked for us in Italy last year, and it was hotter than 35 degrees. We have now fitted a cooling fan, and had no issues with the fridge this year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As a rule absorption fridges will only cool to around 20° below ambient temperature so 15° is normal at 35°
Fitting a small fan in the top vent to help airflow will improve it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
he ambient temperature is about 35degs, we can make ice but the fridge won't cool below 15-20 degrees!!! Whilst this figure is when using gas 240v is better and 12v worse. Is this normal for this type of fridge?

No.. it is not normal..

Your model of fridge .. specs..

• Fridge cooling capacity: +7 degrees C, freezer compartment up to -12°C ambient temperatures up to 32 degrees C.
so at 35 c it may be a little warmer than this, perhaps one or two degrees,.. but certainly cooler than 15 - 20 c ..

* Do Park with the fridge vents on the North side .. away from direct sun

* Do NOT overfill.. a packed fridge cannot work properly.. there has to be spaces between the food and between the shelves for air circulation.

* Do NOT turn the temperature control set dial to Max ..
If the scale is 0 - 10 .. try it at 6 or 7.. there is a point where it will reach it's best operating temperature.. once set, this set point does not need to be changed. Increasing the set point will NOT COOL THE FRIDGE MORE..

* Do make sure the van is level.. an out of level fridge won't work at 100% efficiency

* When you get home, Do have it serviced, flue cleaned and a new gas jet fitted...
at the same time fit a pair of 12v computer fans on the TOP vent sucking OUT .. they can be simply controlled by an on/off toggle switch

if you don't want to play with computer fans buy a kit, complete with temperature control.. http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/fridge-vents/vento-12v-electronic-fridge-fan-126-p.html

Our fridge is at least 15 years old and works fine when ambient is 35c .. as it was this year in South of France..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tasng4

Tasng4

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Auverne Rhone-Alpes
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit 1984
Exp
April 2016
Thanks for the advice, I've bought 3 80mm 12v cooling fans from Ebay (£3.06) inc. postage. I'll post again when I've fitted and trird them out although that may be a while as when we return from holiday it'll be October.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hello

Just out of curiosity have you got the plates fitted over the exterior vents on your fridge - if you have take them off. You will only need a coin and a quarter turn to release them - put them safe as you will need to put them back on when you return north and the temperature drops.

You will be pleasantly surprised if this is your situation. I have had no problems with my fridge which is essentially the same.

I hope my suggestion is a benefit (mind you only if you still have the plastic plates on).

Good luck, I love France

Clive

:france::france::france:

OP
OP
Tasng4

Tasng4

Free Member
Aug 14, 2016
Auverne Rhone-Alpes
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit 1984
Exp
April 2016
No exterior plates but ALL advice is useful...I now know to ADD plates if it's too cold.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back