Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
In the garage of my rapido is a cover with a picture of a solar panel on it. Removing this cover reveals 4 cables 2 blue and 2 red I assume this is pre wireing for solar panel. Where do these cables go? cannot find any unused cables in any cupboards etc and both sets of leads are dead. I thought maybe one set would go to leisure battery and the other coiled up somewhere to go through roof to panel. I may give up on idea as cannot find a accessable route through van for new cables.:( any ideas please?

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
From my limited time on this great forum, @Techno seems to be the guru and may be able to assist?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Telling people your make, model and year would be a big help to get the right info..
Then someone may either have same van or could know the answer.. (y):D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I have just been looking at mine as I have bought a folding panel for occasional use. The right hand 2 cables (pale blue & red) go to the battery terminals but are not connected, they are taped to the side of the main cable. The other 2 disappear into the bowels of the wiring loom. I was thimking of extending the first 2 round to the garage door to make it simple to connect the solar panel. As the panel has its own controller I am assuming this is ok, it will effectively be connected straight to the leisure batteries or should I connect it before the built in charger/controller? Any thoughts welcome.

OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I have just been looking at mine as I have bought a folding panel for occasional use. The right hand 2 cables (pale blue & red) go to the battery terminals but are not connected, they are taped to the side of the main cable. The other 2 disappear into the bowels of the wiring loom. I was thimking of extending the first 2 round to the garage door to make it simple to connect the solar panel. As the panel has its own controller I am assuming this is ok, it will effectively be connected straight to the leisure batteries or should I connect it before the built in charger/controller? Any thoughts welcome.

I have a similar arrangement and at the moment charge batteries direct from solar controller until I can find someone who knows what to connect where I'm not going to risk it. Sorry cant help but will try to post pictures of the offending unconnected cables tomorrow if I can.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I would think that one pair of cables is for the leisure battery and the other for the chassis battery. They would be connected to the outputs of the solar controller.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
In one of your cupboards (normally the wardrobe) you will see a green plug which is for TV

Remove the panel that the plug is mounted on/in and the solar cables are there

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
In one of your cupboards (normally the wardrobe) you will see a green plug which is for TV

Thanks Eddie, will check it out

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine were rear right corner and went down to the garage and right around the island bed to the distribution panel then all the way to the front right from rear left to the batteries. They could not possibly have made the cable run any longer HENCE my ignoring them and using bigger cable too.

OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
14732521868671992539365.jpg 1473252382843818110626.jpg 14732521868671992539365.jpg 1473252382843818110626.jpg

Remove the panel that the plug is mounted on/in and the solar cables are there[/QUOT

D

Where do they go to? As I could not find any cables I ran my own . But now feed to batteries via solar controller direct,but it would be great if panel charged vehicle battery through vans charging/ control setup
This is what I have
messy at the moment as I have not finished as such because Im hoping to use vans system if ever I find it how.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mick noe

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
14732527070901635537315.jpg View attachment 123122 View attachment 123124 View attachment 123122 View attachment 123124

Remove the panel that the plug is mounted on/in and the solar cables are there[/QUOT

D

Where do they go to? As I could not find any cables I ran my own . But now feed to batteries via solar controller direct,but it would be great if panel charged vehicle battery through vans charging/ control setup
This is what I have
this is my charging set up at the moment also not tidied yet but wanted the option of separate system for each battery.....a waste of time probably but I never do anything that e easy way

Last edited:

Ridgy

Free Member
Sep 16, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
If your vehicle isn't pre wired, it's often easier to run from the solar controller to the control box (Sargent in many cases). With the help of a multi meter you will find 2 heavy ish gauge cables, one for the leisure, and the other for the cranking battery. Just tap into these cables, but NOT with scotch locks!!! (I hate those things!). Tracing these two cables is not always straightforward, it's better to do a continuity test from each battery as there are many 12v lives within the box, most of which go offline when you switch the panel off. The neutral is easy enough, just use a heavy gauge one. Depending on your solar controller type, you can set the charge ratio between the two batteries, I usually go for 70/30, leisure being the higher. Hope this helps!

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I traced these cables from being coiled up near the leisure batteries to the rear garage to the point on mick noe detail above. I got the impression the connection in the garage was for a portable kit to stand outside the van.The cables were not very heavy duty so i just ripped it all out and replaced with heavier duty cable from the batteries under the bench to the storage cupboard straight up through the roof simple and easy to fit ,drilling through the roof directly above the cupboard .As a novice the whole system, 2 panels and the control unit took me 4 hours to fit from start to finish and delighted with the results .Never had to touch the system since installed a year ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back