Overweight ! (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
another snippet from this months C+CC mag.

"A recent campaign of roadside checks by VOSA has shown that 80% of motorhomes stopped where over their legal weight limit."

were you one of them ?

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
overweight

Dont get caught out,do as I do,take it to local weighbridge to check.You pays your money you take your chance,why spoil your hols by taking " just a small thing it does'nt weigh much"

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Agree with that - don't go to the weighbridge every time but if we make any changes we always do front axle - rear axle - then train weight from which we can work out all weights required to be totally legal . we then always carry the weigh tickets in the cab as when I have been stopped in the past the first thing after the initial lights and tyres has been do you know your weights show them the tickets and very often that is it you are sent on your way.

Has any one knowledge of how they were overweight - was it gross weight or axle weight overloading ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agree with that - don't go to the weighbridge every time but if we make any changes we always do front axle - rear axle - then train weight from which we can work out all weights required to be totally legal . we then always carry the weigh tickets in the cab as when I have been stopped in the past the first thing after the initial lights and tyres has been do you know your weights show them the tickets and very often that is it you are sent on your way.

Has any one knowledge of how they were overweight - was it gross weight or axle weight overloading ?

doesnt actually say in the mag.....that was a direct quote except they used the full VOSA name.

it also says that, on the A5, of all caravans that were stopped and checked, none were considered 100% safe. :Eeek:
one even having the front of the body completely detached from the chassis. the owner wasnt aware.:Doh:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Having lived near the M5 for the past 30 years or so I am never surprised having seen the number of recoveries of caravans where tyres are 10 years old wheel bearings seized up even broken chassis and a pal of mine who does the recoveries always asks when was it last serviced - 9 times out of 10 it never was - one bloke who had a tyre blow out & no spare admitted having the caravan for 7 years and never even checked the tyre pressures just hooked on every year and hammered for the coast.:Eeek::Eeek:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Problem is - finding a flipping weighbridge!!!:cry:

Usually the local council will have a public weighbridge at the waste disposal site - if not there then call the local council offices they will be able to tell you where the nearest public weighbridge is - trouble is if you don't find one you can guarantee VOSA will just when you dont want them too.

Frankia

Free Member
Sep 24, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Had ours weighed at the dumpit near Morrisons in Scarborough a few years back. The weigh bridge is by the hut if you go straight forward instead of right to the recycling area.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had ours weighed at the dumpit near Morrisons in Scarborough a few years back. The weigh bridge is by the hut if you go straight forward instead of right to the recycling area.

i know it well having spent some time working om the new, super inefficient, recycling plant.

didnt realise it was a 'public' bridge though as the only one listed as the local council bridge is whitby.

the status may nave changed since you last used it.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
GRANTHAM, please anybody know a weighbridge? I've tried the council list & rung around. No joy!!! Help.:Sad::Sad::Angry::Sad:

Dont know if it is public weigbridge but try

Marston Agricultural Services
Toll Bar Road
Marston
Grantham
Lincolnshire
NG32 2HT

Contact Details:
Tel: 01400 250226
Fax: 01400 250540
sales@marstontrailers.co.uk

They have a weighbridge for weighing trailers and my allow other use - worth a try

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
GRANTHAM, please anybody know a weighbridge? I've tried the council list & rung around. No joy!!! Help.:Sad::Sad::Angry::Sad:

i cant find anything either.

are there any haulage firms nearby....they'll know.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
lots of large scrapyards seem to have weighbridges

when I did a check this summer , went to a steel stockholder , told the guy I wanted both axles and total weight [ there can be a small discrepancy

do you want a ticket he said ? not for me , just checking said I

3 weights scribbled on a piece of paper .....on the house

the answer ...just inside except the front with a lot to spare

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
lots of large scrapyards seem to have weighbridges

when I did a check this summer , went to a steel stockholder , told the guy I wanted both axles and total weight [ there can be a small discrepancy

do you want a ticket he said ? not for me , just checking said I

3 weights scribbled on a piece of paper .....on the house

the answer ...just inside except the front with a lot to spare]

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
The last twice I've used a feedstock merchant in our local town. £5 a time. Obviously their own lorries take precedence, but jump on when there's a lull.
Print out of results.

Bargain:thumb:

John

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
there seems to be some confusion here as to what is a public weighbridge
to be one you must have an operators licence with a trained operator , otherwise you can't issue an official weight certificate ; these can be publicly or privately owned

however all I want to know is what I weigh , near enough is good enough for my purposes , you are not trying to certify the weight of your delivery or your laden truck !

so there are plenty of other weighbridges about which aren't 'public' but can weigh the vehicle for you if you cross their palm with silver , no official certificate of course ; I mentioned scrap yards before ....a truck pulls in full of scrap , is weighed , tips , weighed out , yard pays on the difference ; no legal undertaking offered or accepted

where I live in france there is a sand and gravel yard , they weigh the trucks out to ensure they aren't overloaded [ huge disparity between grades and wet or dry ] ....they are not a public weighbridge but if you should happen to pop in at a quiet moment......

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Vehicles over 3.5ton automatically get a weight cert with the MOT don't they. I know mine does.:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Vehicles over 3.5ton automatically get a weight cert with the MOT don't they. I know mine does.:thumb::thumb:

and are you charged for it roger?

if you are you'te being robbed :whatthe:

even the beast comes under class 4 (cars) for MOT as does mine at 3850kg but mines never been weighed.

nearest mine been to being weighed was the tester asking the weight as the 4tonne lift was struggling a bit.:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
and are you charged for it roger?

if you are you'te being robbed :whatthe:

even the beast comes under class 4 (cars) for MOT as does mine at 3850kg but mines never been weighed.

nearest mine been to being weighed was the tester asking the weight as the 4tonne lift was struggling a bit.:Doh:
no extra charge just the MOT cost, get MOT cert, Emissions Cert, Brake efficiency cert and axle weights /total weight cert. I thought everone did
The benefit of having it done at a commercial vehicle place I guess, but then got it at the local VOSA station as well last year.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no extra charge just the MOT cost, get MOT cert, Emissions Cert, Brake efficiency cert and axle weights /total weight cert. I thought everone did
The benefit of having it done at a commercial vehicle place I guess, but then got it at the local VOSA station as well last year.

nope...never had any of those.

only thing i get apart from the cert is the tickertape printout from the emmisions machine......% and pass/fail.

thats it.

Derek and Mary

Free Member
Apr 9, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
Weightbridge s

We were stopped in May 09 on the m74 , we were ok but the other m/h that was stopped , reason i was told , he was running heavy ie fulll waste and fresh water tanks ,not forgetting your fuel tank, we as a matter ofcourse always try to run light, enough water for toilet to flush a few times and make a couple of cups of tea , we fill up like most folk on arrival at sites, and empty before we leave, as we are relativly new to all this if i didnt use it the last two times then i dont take it the next time, dump the excess weight , why carry bikes if your not gonna use them a little common sense will go a long way

happy motoring

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
nope...never had any of those.

only thing i get apart from the cert is the tickertape printout from the emmisions machine......% and pass/fail.

thats it.

Mine was weighed at the test Pappa, pass, and last year pass, get a Merc, you know it makes sense!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Might have to look under it next year, it will be 6 by then! Sevel R.I.P. time!:winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
been giving myself headache (thinking too hard) about this.

if its an RV at 7500kg gross and it is weighed at MOT, even though it isnt part of said test, and found to be over the 7500kg is the tester within his rights to refuse an MOT test ?

Mine was weighed at the last MOT. If its not a requirement why it i done....... Geoooooooooo

Jim
:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back