Problems with clearance (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
our drive drops down sharply to the road which has a steep camber. The "gull wing" effect of that profile means that we have very limited clearance when reversing out.

We would like to fit a scooter rack to carry our motorbike but are not sure if we will be able to get adequate clearance from the road surface whilst exiting the drive.

I am willing to back out into the road and then load the m/bike to ensure the best suspension clearance height.

Has anyone any experience of this?

Does anyone know of a rack that may be suitable?

Thank you, in anticipation.

Maison

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The obvious solution is to fit air suspension which you can inflate to a high pressure to give you clearness. When you are on the road let some air out as required.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Can you seriously lift so high?

I reckon between 4 - 6. Inches would be required.

Do you have any idea of the likely cost of such an upgrade?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Can you seriously lift so high?

I reckon between 4 - 6. Inches would be required.

Do you have any idea of the likely cost of such an upgrade?
It depends what chassis you have, mine is a panel van so I just bought the kit from Marcle Leisure for around £400 and fitted it myself. Ideally you would need the on board compressor kit so you can adjust the height from the drivers seat. It should give you the option to raise the height by at least 4 inches just to get on and off the drive. If you post your chassis type then someone will have had it done.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a Swift Esprit on the standard Ducato chassis if that helps anyone.

At the moment we carry bikes on a bike Fiamma bike rack; one e-bike and one road bike. That obviously poses no problems as it is so high.

At previous addresses, and with previous m/h's we did not have to contend with the severe camber angle.

A "cost benefit analysis" is required, methinks!(n)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
If it's a base vehicle chassis then it will probably be riding low, look underneath and see how squashed the spring assisters are. If they are compressed then fitting air suspension will bring the back end up quite a bit and will also be a better ride.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I dont know about 4-6 inches but our hitch on our Mohican was 2" too low for our trailer, @10psi so I kept upping the pressure & @50psi it was perfect, we can go to 100psi, I don't know if that would equate to 4" inches!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
All replies are welcomed.

I never cease to be amazed at the help/advice available on here, and we have been Motorhomers, on and off, for about 30 years.

If I have learned anything in that time it is that no-one knows everything, but someone else will have the answer.(y):)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Fitted air suspension recently and its lifted the back end up a good 4 maybe 5 inches, obviously pumping it up more would raise the back end even more...and its a doddle to fit

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Would it make a difference if you reversed into the drive and then drove out forwards?
Yes, it does.

We ground even sooner on the way in!:(;)

But thanks for the suggestion.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back