Humberto the 2008 Hymer B544 SL (1 Viewer)

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I learned a lot about the layout I wanted in my first motorhome from Youtube videos.

Hopefully my videos, over time, will assist someone else through their decision process. They may convince you to buy a Hymer B544 or convince you that they aren't for you. Either way I'd consider it a good use of my time. Getting it wrong would be an expensive and disappointing mistake.

See below. If you like, please subscribe to my youtube channel. There isn't much there right now (only got Humberto last week), but, the more people I know are watching, the more inclined I am to keep making videos.

http://gohumberto.com/videos

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
After 10 years of RVs we had an enforced downsize and our first was a 2003 B544 which convinced us it provided lots of lounge space so we traded in for a new one back in Feb, no regrets .
Good luck with Humberto (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Lovely looking vehicle (y).

We have had our 2002 b544 almost years 6 now and are currently keeping our eyes and ears open for another van...and that is going to be another 544 because the layout in a van of 6 metres just can't be beaten in our opinion. We just missed out on a 2007 LHD @ £31000 last year! We looked at a 2008 Burstner Aviano i645 the only the other day, very nice van but sadly not a patch on Hymer (in our opinion I do stress). Not a b544 around 2007/8/9 to be had in the entire country at the moment though! May try our luck in Germany next year!

Enjoy your new van!

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Not a b544 around 2007/8/9 to be had in the entire country at the moment though!

Enjoy your new van!

Yes, it's getting hard to find them in that age range (where specification and depreciation seem about perfect) and I jumped at this one. It was about 50 miles away which saves so much hassle. I'd seen similar ones but in Scotland and the North East. That's a long trek if it doesn't work out.

The 2011-2016 model seems incredibly nice (the flat front design) but it will be some years until they drop below £40K I think.

Having just done our 2nd weekend (see www.gohumberto.com for the Blog and photos) I'm more convinced than ever it's the right choice for us.
Now I just need to figure out why the water didn't heat up whilst we were on just Gas.

Lee & Angeline

www.gohumberto.com

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
iGCVGS8Xna3Rrht1mfrIaBXXBNGz1WI9heyM894ltfK5uitGntLlyAsTYcnrM2sdUNTVd2pbU72s89NbwJhPo7k8rYYH7AfSUtGN_l8zSShMzyPYcN4nim041MEK1-KpLO3z5kCIlnaF6Sd6GFnwbNcv_HPCihbuJxYxvjR38ijAdNFeDX404ClFkJQ18iTfAr5hpj6THLokIEyEe6uMLY32S3H-UdK2BL4sa8ZpOzpp7Miemf3yztV55Ec0YF8PxPmy2ZrpBCsDRy223eJCcDwjteSRWoIy8f5QAVaA6X06RanWTfWUiPMGKI-NRSbq8Ka1atumin_qcp07u8U6lf6DXQLtSviiSJfFr5_cif8iXBj49DYxcjI8MsJ-u9SK5ong9GuESYxQFzZBVQNUAIAckUNdKjQZf-M-UFneiSNhRTuKA81g62G-UEFsXlIC1PdDq2k_bbpl2WAjTvgS7TtLg0m2fyXKOObkECon4wduKTTuLUTrAy3B_3nRxOAtr19gsUZu2xWBHxV2PQSphF12pLd4EpnMcrF_4DBRcAVdcSGDydZ_oi3VVpSL_T7eZJyIk-da1ssKQTL85wTJ6kePsiU2kASIuW3At4_SlU_92VvB=w1698-h955-no

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Found one here.
Broken Link Removed

Thanks, I had seen that one that looks very nice...but 2007 was the changeover year to the new model which we'd prefer. We lost out on one last year at £31,500 by a couple of hours!

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
2008 (ours) had the new front end (Still more raked than the newer 2011 redesign) with new lights.
I'm not sure about the interior changes. There seem to be several variants on layout.

Ours is very similar to the one advertised above inside except we have a more modern "Tech Tower" (a fancy name for Fridge/Freezer/Oven) and the front door on ours is driver side (RHD).

Otherwise the washroom is identical and the seating/table is identical.
The headlight cluster does, in my opinion, make the front end look more than just 1 year more modern though. Possibly that would have an effect on resale. I hope not to find out. I bet it's a damn sight more expensive to replace my front lights .. that goes without saying.

BROKEN LINK

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
So an update on our new status as owners of a Motorhome.
We've so far managed to get away 3 times since we collected Humberto.

Our first weekend was straight from the dealership, 2 nights in Old Sarum C&CC site, Salisbury, Wiltshire.

The weekend after we went to a C&CC certified site at Mildenhall, near Marlborough for a night followed by a Britstop evening in the Marlborough area.

Last week we took a few days off and headed to "Riverside" close to Stratford upon Avon for 2 nights, moved on to a Britstop pub in Monmouthshire and then popped over the Severn to Devizes on our way home to Hampshire.

We've had 2/2 success with Britstops. I've loved them both and it's clearly a win:win for Landlord and Motorhomer alike.

I've yet to find a link between price and quality with the campsites but a Motorhome insulates you from poor facilities, whereas a tent leaves you at their mercy. The sometimes atrocious weather we had during our trips just reinforces how luxurious it is, tucked up in a nice, solid, winterised MH.

Broken stuff - 1 Locking Water Filler Cap. Lee's fault.

Some images of our trips so far..

Lee & Angeline (Team Humberto)
2016 08 27 b.jpg

The view from our Britstop windscreen
2016 08 28 Britstop 056 d.jpg

Stratford upon Avon. Humberto by night
Riverside SoA Nighta.jpg

The view from my Beer at another Britstop pub
a Britstop Trellech Church a.jpg

Raglan Castle on our way to Monmouth
a Raglan Castle b pano.jpg

Humberto, Posing in front of the Castle
Humberto at Raglan Castle a.jpg

Leaky Locks near devizes
a Kand A canal Foxhangers b.jpg

Early morning Skulling on the Avon (not me).
Riverside SoA Skullers a.jpg

Go Humberto !

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love the video of your trip!
Looks like you've found the perfect van for you and carry on enjoying your trips away!
Thanks for sharing the photos and videos!

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Lee, to protect your very expensive lights get some Lamin-X film. Applied it to the lights of my 2007 B544SL and never had a problem, fingers crossed now!

Also swopped the running lights for LED bulbs and the light units are cool in the daytime, the original bulbs do heat the units quite a lot and I wonder if this contributes towards the shattering of some lights.

Mike

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Lee, to protect your very expensive lights get some Lamin-X film. Applied it to the lights of my 2007 B544SL and never had a problem, fingers crossed now!

Also swopped the running lights for LED bulbs and the light units are cool in the daytime, the original bulbs do heat the units quite a lot and I wonder if this contributes towards the shattering of some lights.

Mike
Thanks for the tip on Lamin-X I'll try to find a stockist.

I'm on an LED mission actually. I've replaced all the internal Halogens with LEDs now, from LED Hut. They had a great deal on their 1.2W bulbs. They were a squeeze but they did fit.

The B544 has a LOT of interior lights when you start to add them up (17 that I can think of immediately, 18 if you count the cool blue one in the fridge)

The only ones left now are:
1) A Flourescent cooker hood light
2) A shorter vertical "light Pole"
3) A full Length vertical "light Pole".
4) Overbed Flourescent

The light poles look like something out of a 1980s Night Club and I haven't checked what's illuminating them. They do have a nice effect though.
The 2 flourescents aren't left on that long that I need bother changing them.
Apart from that my interior "electricity bill" has been reduced by 75%.

I'll have a 120W Solar panel fitted soon. That should be there just to maintain battery levels to drive the Blown-Air fan and the tiny drain of the lights.

I see a GASLOW or GASIT type installation as a priority now. I'm already tired of wondering when one CALOR bottle is low enough to swap over without running it empty and having the fridge cut out.

It's only money right?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An external BBQ point would be a useful addition - save carrying that great bottle around - unless that was stolen from the van? But for convenience they are very useful. :)

OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
An external BBQ point would be a useful addition - save carrying that great bottle around - unless that was stolen from the van? But for convenience they are very useful. :)
It's on my list,

Essential with 2x11kg Gaslow bottles installed.

Reactions: DBK

MotorhomeMart

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Dartmoor
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano i684g
Exp
From 2005 -2011 and 2018 -
Best wishes with the Hymer. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Some excellent photographs with great use of light.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes

Mike
Hi Mike,
Can you let me know which LED bulbs you used, and where to get them from, for the running lights? I've been looking but I understand they have to have resistors to fool the Canbus.
(2014 B544)
Tim

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Loved the video glad it stopped raining for you. !
We stayed on the CC site near the train line and caught it into Swanage. Walked to Corfe and had a few hours looking round , a very interesting place.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Thanks for the tip on Lamin-X I'll try to find a stockist.

I'm on an LED mission actually. I've replaced all the internal Halogens with LEDs now, from LED Hut. They had a great deal on their 1.2W bulbs. They were a squeeze but they did fit.

The B544 has a LOT of interior lights when you start to add them up (17 that I can think of immediately, 18 if you count the cool blue one in the fridge)

The only ones left now are:
1) A Flourescent cooker hood light
2) A shorter vertical "light Pole"
3) A full Length vertical "light Pole".
4) Overbed Flourescent

The light poles look like something out of a 1980s Night Club and I haven't checked what's illuminating them. They do have a nice effect though.
The 2 flourescents aren't left on that long that I need bother changing them.
Apart from that my interior "electricity bill" has been reduced by 75%.

I'll have a 120W Solar panel fitted soon. That should be there just to maintain battery levels to drive the Blown-Air fan and the tiny drain of the lights.

I see a GASLOW or GASIT type installation as a priority now. I'm already tired of wondering when one CALOR bottle is low enough to swap over without running it empty and having the fridge cut out.

It's only money right?

Gasit, fitted twin 11s recently, only took a couple of hours.
I put the filler and a hookup in the cupboard as didn't want to dig any holes in the van.

By the way.........cracking videos

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Go Humberto!

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
Gasit, fitted twin 11s recently, only took a couple of hours.
I put the filler and a hookup in the cupboard as didn't want to dig any holes in the van.

By the way.........cracking videos

Mine already has a filler point in the skirt, and a hole drilled for the hose into the Gas locker.
To be honest I'm with you, it's so easy to access the locker I'd be fine with an internal fill-point.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back