Problem with motor sensor (1 Viewer)

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
My recently ebay (I know) acquired Ebco Eagle bike is showing error code 1, the motor sensor is not working. And the manual says refer to dealer. Well I do not have a dealer. Firstly does anyone know what the motor sensor does etc. And secondly any recommendations for a good e bike technician within reasonable distance of the Hants/Surrey/Berkshire area who would take on the work needed.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Is this a rear hub drive ?

Just an idea.. I don't know your bike..

it may just be the speed sensor magnet missing or out of position.. ,

The sensor will be mounted on the frame, it is pulsed by a small magnet on one of the spokes .

I had a similar problem with my wife's Kalkhoff.. the speed sensor wasn't picking up.. I spoke to 50s cycles and they sent a new sensor.. but still wasn't working..

I had to put an extra washer on the sensor mounting bolt to move the sensor closer to the magnet, that was all it took to get it working..

Failing that I would call the main dealer and ask.. http://www.ebco-ebikes.co.uk/contact-us

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, it is a front wheel hub motor.
I will look for the sensor you describe but I doubt it will be that. I have asked Ebco the bikes makers for help and wait for a reply. I just hope that they will help a second owner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks, it is a front wheel hub motor.
I will look for the sensor you describe but I doubt it will be that. I have asked Ebco the bikes makers for help and wait for a reply. I just hope that they will help a second owner.

ok.. while you wait.. look for the sensor mounted on the forks.. if you find one check the magnet on the spoke is in the correct position... it may have been knocked out of alignment.. they are are quite fussy about being exactly right

next.. trace the wire back to the controller .. check for any connectors that may have become loose or wet.. look for damaged wires ..

and good luck

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
I will certainly do as you say and look for sensors and trace the wiring for faults. The bike does not have spokes in the traditional sense as it has alloy wheels. So the speed sensor is probably hiding somewhere else.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's likely to be one of the 3 sensors inside the motor that set the timing for the 3 phase drive. Despite their vital function they are cheap Hall-effect devices that are easy to replace - but they are inside the motor.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
I am now reading up about Hall- effect devices and taking motors apart. So even more hope that as scotlimland suggests it may a loose or damaged connection. Thanks though for the pointer.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I am now reading up about Hall- effect devices and taking motors apart. So even more hope that as scotlimland suggests it may a loose or damaged connection. Thanks though for the pointer.
Assuming a "simple" set-up there will be 6 / 7 wires going to the motor. The sensor wires are 3 + earth and are thinner than the others. A failure of one of those would look like a sensor fault to the controller.

OP
OP
G
Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
With your help I have fixed it, yes it was a loose connection that self diagnostics misread as a motor sensor failure.
A big thank you to those who took the trouble to reply though still would like to know if any e bike technicians exist in my locality for future reference.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back