Bad smell since i had my uv pane fitted (1 Viewer)

Ricardoe

Free Member
Apr 11, 2016
West midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer544
Exp
Just started
Hi you guys... driving in france today and the missus keeps moaning about some smell that seems to be coming from under her seat:LOL:..which is where the leisure batt is.this seems to have started since we just had a uv panel fitted(dave newell)..anyone have any ideas!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If its a rotten eggs smell and it was nothing your wife ate, then you could be boiling your battery. Your charger, regulator or your battery could be faulty.

Another reason for bad smalls when driving is the grey water tank. If that's smelly then travel with the sink plugs in place.

Maybe drop @dave newell lvs a private message here, if he's just worked on your van he may have an idea about what could be wrong.

Reactions: f6c

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Can I ask what a uv panel is?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
It might be worth checking the battery visually - we had a similar problem, and I discovered that the battery originally had a plastic vent pipe fitted, which disappeared through the floor, so that gas generated by charging was vented outside the vehicle. Unfortunately, the pipe had become detached from the battery end, so the gas was venting inside. Re-fixed the pipe to the battery and voila! No smells!!

Reactions: f6c

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Maybe Dave's trying to drum up repeat business by having people come back for more 'rectification' work ...

Only kidding Davey boy!! :D

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Don't light the cooker or cigarette until it's checked out

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like a failing cell (or cells) in the leisure battery. This causes gassing when the battery is on charge (a cocktail including hydrogen sulphide). Previously, you may not have noticed it if you were not in the vehicle when the van was hooked-up. Now you have a PV panel there is the potential for charging to take place all the time in daylight. If the battery is getting on a bit (5 years or so depending on how it has been treated) it may well have reached the end of life. Cell failure can happen very quickly once one 'goes'. As others have said, don't light any naked flames in the van until it is checked. Ideally, you should disconnect the PV panel but it is VITAL that you do this by removing the + cable going FROM the PV panel INTO the solar regulator. DO NOT unplug the regulator from the battery whilst leaving the panel and regulator connected together as this can fry the regulator.

I would speak to Dave before you do anything - he is very helpful and will, I am sure, sort out the problem for you.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I had that smell on my Golf years ago, took it to the local tyre place to check the battery, He put a battery tester across the battery and the whole thing exploded with a huge bang and he was wearing the acid, I had to drag him into the restroom and pour water from the sink all over his face and eyes . A passing Police car drove off like a scalded cat and crept back a bit later, he thought it was an IRA bomb going off , 80's. Made a big impression on me as to how dodgy an overcharged battery was It was a case of a HYDROGEN bomb in the car, and that is really explosive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it smells like rotten eggs or roast chicken the battery's stuffed (nothing to do with the roast chicken though!).

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I had that smell on my Golf years ago, took it to the local tyre place to check the battery, He put a battery tester across the battery and the whole thing exploded with a huge bang and he was wearing the acid, I had to drag him into the restroom and pour water from the sink all over his face and eyes . A passing Police car drove off like a scalded cat and crept back a bit later, he thought it was an IRA bomb going off , 80's. Made a big impression on me as to how dodgy an overcharged battery was It was a case of a HYDROGEN bomb in the car, and that is really explosive.
wow , hope the poor dude was ok..

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Still got the scar on my nose rom my exploding battery, another hint to stop smoking.

My car stopped in the middle of a major junction at Mile End, I opened the bonnet, leant over to look and put out my right hand, containing a freshly lit cigarette, to wiggle the battery connection.

I woke up a few seconds later laying in the road by the side of the car to find that people were very kindly slowing down to drive round me. :rofl:

No-one stopped to help, I washed my face and hands with a bottle of water from the car while people shouted encouraging things like " get out of the road you ******* moron", and pushed the car to the side of the road.

I then walked about 2 miles to the nearest car parts shop, bought a new battery and after fitting it to the car I finished the errand I had been sent on, followed by a visit to Poplar hospital to have 4 stitches in my (freshly broken) nose.

Hymie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back