LENDING MH TO FAMILY???? (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
When I bought my MH 5 years ago, I deliberately bought a 4 seater so that my family could use it in the summer holidays when I avoid going away. Up until now they had only used it for the occasional weekend but never THE summer holiday - until now. It was with a bit of trepidation that I left it with them at the beginning of August and collected it on 24th. Wow, not only had they dealt with a broken engine mounting but when I looked around the van it looked like it had been professionally detailed. It was immaculate! The roof, not its familiar light green but now pristine white and clear roof lights; the cab floor area was not the dusty hollow I’d got used to but this gleaming “as new” look. Even the toilet cassette and its bay had been scrubbed clean. Now that’s the way to return borrowed goods!! I think I’ll let them use it again; at least it’ll have a good annual clean!

Lend MH to family? You bet!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... not yet noticed the bits that are broken then ... :ROFLMAO:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Great result for you @DiggerJon. Makes a change from the horrendous experiences that others have had lending their mh to family, let alone friends.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Dont forget to check the water tank for diesel(y)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Great result for you @DiggerJon. Makes a change from the horrendous experiences that others have had lending their mh to family, let alone friends.
Lent mine to son in law. It was returned this time (now referred to as the last time) with only 1/2 tank of fuel and full waste tanks.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Lent mine to son in law. It was returned this time (now referred to as the last time) with only 1/2 tank of fuel and full waste tanks.....
You mean you hadn't taught him the skilled art of 'dribbling' ...:D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

I know what you mean, loaned ours just so "they" had somewhere comfortable to sleep at the Royal Cornwall show 2 years ago, rather than the Cattle truck.
Cassette full, waste tank full, hob & fridge filthy, they only had it for 6 days

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I know what you mean, loaned ours just so "they" had somewhere comfortable to sleep at the Royal Cornwall show 2 years ago, rather than the Cattle truck.
Cassette full, waste tank full, hob & fridge filthy, they only had it for 6 days

How did you deal with it?

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Daughter asked can we borrow your van for Glastonbury I said NO WAY! her car looks like it has been battered with a baseball bat with all the dings .:)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
They can borrow mine, it's due a good cleanup :)
image.jpeg

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
I think you struck lucky there Digger, very lucky, and you should count your blessings. Over the years I've learned the hard way that the old adage "never a borrower or lender be" holds true. People - even unintentionally - do not respect others property and it's a sure fired way of losing friends / alienating family.

I'm really pleased you had a good - no, exceptional - result. But it is a rarity.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When we got a new MH a good few years ago hubby's sister came round to have a shuftie and said "oh, we'll be able to borrow it for a holiday" ... I've never know hubby ever reply to anyone so quickly .. "No you won't!"

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My youngest son was viewing ours with envious eyes with a view to borrowing.. he thought it was under 3.5t ..

so I asked him did he have 'grandfather rights' on his driving licence :LOL:

no he said, but have a bus driving licence.. licensed to drive any size coach, single and double decker..

I was pleased to learn it doesn't allow him to drive a 4.0 ton motorhome.. ... saved me having to say .. Non ..

I love you .. but not that much

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back