Revolut or not to Revolut? (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have read on the Forum the benefits of using such a card when touring in the EU,however,having downloaded the App and attempting to register I got very wobbily when it asked for my Bank Details!! The App is very very basic and gives no assurances to its Security,it's a matter of entering a Phone Number,Address and Bank Details which is extremely primitive.

There is no indication to where Revolut are based,Contact,Security Assurance etc etc, has anyone had further experience than myself?

Thanks.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
love revolut, works a treat. no issues with them having bank details as it means I can top up any time. you can use a credit card if you prefer.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The app is completely secure. I'm not sure what you were expecting but I wouldn't call it basic or primitive.

Lots of us use it extensively. I've dumped all my other currency cards now and just use Revolut.

Everything is done using the app including adding funds and ordering a physical card. If you don't register a debit or credit card you can't add funds, it's as simple as that. Once you've added more than £500 (IIRC) you will need to complete some further ID verification in order for them to comply with money laundering regs.

I've had personal experience of their support, again via live chat on the app, when an ATM in Italy threw a wobbly and I can confirm that it's first class - everything that they said would happen did happen inside the timescale they suggested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Their website: https://revolut.com/

Details of where to contact them:

We've got it on both our phones and have 2 cards so that if one had a problem (eg faulty card) we can use the other. The only issue I had was when trying to change the bank card details and it was because they'd updated the app and I had an old version, once I'd downloaded the new one it was easy peasy.

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
Yes we used it for 4 months in France & Spain, no problems thought it worked very well, it's a thumbs up from us. (y)

Reactions: JJ

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I use Revolut and it has worked for me. I did have a glitch verifying my identity via the app but their support on app chat resolved the matter in minutes.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
Used it for the last 4 months, absolutely faultless, took the opportunity to top up last night as the pound rose a bit, should have enough to get us home at the end of the month now.(y)
P.S we don't use it for fuel as there was some negative reports.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Used it all last year and will be again in a few weeks,
Used in USA, Spain France Italy Holland no problem....(y)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Use mine all the time here in Spain. Topped up just pre Referendum at 1.3+ so have a good pile of Euro's to use. I like when you do a transaction within minutes it's been messaged to my phone and displays in the relevant wallet. My mate was nervous pre the Referendum and did not top up, wishes he had now.
You can even block and unblock your card through the app.

Jun 22, 2014
Great Totham
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, used it lots and shoved a good few quid through it without problem. Only time it can be a bit iffy is at un manned fuel punps UK and abroad.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Giving out your bank details to someone has no risk associated with it whatsoever, they can't do anything with your sort code and account number. Just to prove it mine is 50-75-06 and 05479365.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
The app is completely secure. I'm not sure what you were expecting but I wouldn't call it basic or primitive.

My opinion but it is basic and it is primitive, perhaps simple to use but again the security which was the reason for my post is not stated in plain view.

Thanks to everyone for the input without doubt it is useful and protective with the funds available being limited.

I've gone through the process, got my electronic card so I can "ping" away whilst I await the physical card.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Revolut is ace!
Revolut.com have a look online.
Nothing to be afraid of!
We both use it & have done for 9 months, the app is secure and you need to put bank details in so you can top it up with £ to exchange to €/$ or whatever.
Revolut has been going now for just over a year, they are based in the dock lands in London, their support is fantastic either live chat, phone or web. They have over 300,000 users.
No it's not my company-wish it was!

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Giving out your bank details to someone has no risk associated with it whatsoever, they can't do anything with your sort code and account number. Just to prove it mine is 50-75-06 and 05479365.
They save details of your debit card, but it's no different than any other transaction when you think about it. Whenever you use a card they then have your details.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've been using it with no problem in France other than the automated fuel pumps as stated already, just make sure you arrive when kiosk is open.
I thinks it a great scheme.

Nov 9, 2015
North Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MC-I B 580
Exp
Since 2005
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson do this a little while ago and someone took money from his account and paid into a charity. Clarkson admitted he was wrong I believe!

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson do this a little while ago and someone took money from his account and paid into a charity. Clarkson admitted he was wrong I believe!

I wondered how long it would take someone to recall that one. They're not really my bank details :) (probably someone elses)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Can you transfer money to the Revolut From PayPal directly , or would i have to transfer it from PayPal to my Bank , then from the Bank to Revolut ??

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Can you transfer money to the Revolut From PayPal directly , or would i have to transfer it from PayPal to my Bank , then from the Bank to Revolut ??

Bank...:xThumb:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
What is the "Revolut Virtual MasterCard" is that just like where you swipe your phone at con tactless pay point to pay for something ?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
What is the "Revolut Virtual MasterCard" is that just like where you swipe your phone at con tactless pay point to pay for something ?

No, it's nothing to do with contactless payment.

It's where it just generates a long card number and a CVV for you to use to shop online with no physical plastic card issued

It's a fairly common thing, lots of companies offer it as an additional security measure for making purchases online. Some of them are single use, some have a very short validity period, everyone does it slightly differently. I've not used Revolut's version so I have no idea exactly how they work it.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
No, it's nothing to do with contactless payment.

It's where it just generates a long card number and a CVV for you to use to shop online with no physical plastic card issued

It's a fairly common thing, lots of companies offer it as an additional security measure for making purchases online. Some of them are single use, some have a very short validity period, everyone does it slightly differently. I've not used Revolut's version so I have no idea exactly how they work it.
Thanks Nick for explaining that , if i have the Physical card as in "Revolut MasterCard" can i also use it for making purchases online just the same as the Virtual card ? , if so then why would i was the Virtual one ? ( for better security ) ??

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks Nick for explaining that , if i have the Physical card as in "Revolut MasterCard" can i also use it for making purchases online just the same as the Virtual card ? , if so then why would i was the Virtual one ? ( for better security ) ??
Yes you can use your Revolut MasterCard for making online payments.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Yes, if you have the physical card you can use it for everything you normally would apart.

A virtual card is just a security measure. If you need to make an online payment to somewhere you aren't 100% confident is secure you can set up a single use number with the exact amount you need, make the transaction and then it forget it. It doesn't matter if the card details aren't secure at the other end because there will never ever be any more available funds on it. I've used Neteller in the past and Entropay is another popular one.

I've just had a read about Revolut's version and it's slightly different. As soon as you register and get up and running a virtual card is issued to you and can be used online immediately. If you then choose to order a physical card the numbers will be the same so in this case it wouldn't be any more secure. I believe the idea of Revolut was/is that the physical card was never intended to be the main focus of the service. The project was originally based on the ability to send money to other people quickly, securely and easily in multiple currencies. That's why when you register the app a physical card isn't automatically generated and you have to specifically order one. Another example would be if you only wanted to use it to take advantage of the exchange rates to make purchases online in dollars you wouldn't need a physical card - the virtual one would be sufficient.

For anyone who orders a physical Revolut card the virtual one becomes effectively redundant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back