Vehicle Category on V5 (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
So - we changed our PVC to Motor Caravan on the V5C but just spoken with DVLA as vehicle category is N1 and they say this doesnt change. Dartford Crossing use the vehicle category to charge which is a whole pound difference to what Bessie used to cost. Not a major issue as we very rarely use the crossing but just curious to know what Vehicle Category other PVCs or for that matter any other type of Motorhomes have on the V5C.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As its based on a van and less than 3500 kg the category N1 is correct.
N2 is the same but over 3500kg
N3 is the same but over 12000kg

M1 is a passenger car with less than 8 seats
M2 over 8 seats, less than 5000kg
M3 over 8 seats, more than 5000kg

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks pappajohn - its the first PVC we have owned and I never checked any of the others as not needed to. Seems strange that our 4250kg 7.65m Bessacarr was classed the same as a car but this smaller Van is more expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
motor homes and campers should be m1 . its another one of those is a m,home carrying goods etc again . but with the windows etc it should be m1 .
back to eu rules .

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks pappajohn - its the first PVC we have owned and I never checked any of the others as not needed to. Seems strange that our 4250kg 7.65m Bessacarr was classed the same as a car but this smaller Van is more expensive.
I'm fairly sure that if you call the Dart Charge people and explain, they will adjust their records.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Have been in contact with DVLA who say the N1 Vehicle Category Stays the same even though its a Motor Caravan and have contacted Dartford Crossing who say they go by the the Vehicle Category to determine the charge (I have asked if there is a procedure to appeal/adjust so will see what they say.)
I remember years ago when I had a Dacia Duster (which was a Jeep type car with a canvas top) and was towing a trailer tent I had to pay the rate for a commercial vehicle with trailer even though I lifted the canvas side to show the rear seats with our twins sitting there so I am not expecting much flexibilty.
When all is said and done it will cost me an extra pound each way on the rare occassion that I want to go accross so its not a major issue. (as long as the Police dont use the same principle to check my speed)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a PVC and on our V5C the 'Vehicle Category' is blank ...

upload_2016-9-2_20-36-58.png

We are classed as a car for Dartford.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As said.. a motorhome is classed as a car at the Dartford crossing.. be it 36ft RV or PVC

Dartford Crossing charges
Vehicle class Type of vehicle Single journey Standard or commercial account Local resident discount account

B Cars (including trailers), motorhomes, passenger vans and buses with less than 9 seats £2.50

https://www.gov.uk/dartford-crossing-fees-exemptions-penalties

cheaper if you have an account ..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Apparently they pick up the charge from the Category if it is there and its there on mine. Its when I removed the Bessie and put this one on the account that the class of vehicle comes up. I have quoted their website to them so will see if they will change the record and charge properly. As I say we very rarely use it so its not a major issue but I cant see why they are being so rigid at the moment.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What you need to do is actually get in touch with the DVLA and have the V5C altered as it is still classed as a goods vehicle by them so whoever you talked to is talking b*llocks:

Broken Link Removed

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
There's no vehicle category on my V5 either. A motor caravan with less than 8 seats and not exceeding 5 tonnes max mass is Category M1 special types and not category N, which relates to goods vehicles. DVLA should change this. I've recently had to research all of this in connection with a fatal collision our unit has been investigating.

I would also ask Vantage for a copy of the Certificate of Conformity that they submitted for 2nd Stage Type Approval, if you didn't get a copy with your van. I have a copy for mine, and it clearly states "Vehicle identification number nnnn has been completed and altered as follows : N1 Category Vehicle converted to M1 Motor Caravan and conforms in all aspects to the type described in approval e11*nnnn -----"

Submit your V5C to DVLA with the change of vehicle particulars section completed, a covering letter and a copy of the Certificate of Conformity and dig your heels in if necessary. Category N1 is quite obviously wrong for a vehicle that falls within the definition of a motor caravan, more so when it has been type approved to that definition which your van most definitely has.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my self build goes over as a car not sure whats on the v5 other than motorcaravan

Chriseui

Free Member
Jun 22, 2017
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
X250 LWB Van Conversion
Exp
Hi

I'm nearing completion of my Motorhome conversion and trying to get to the bottom of changed to the V5C

Does anyone out there have an Autosleeper based on a 6m boxer that can tell me the Item J Section 4 (Vehicle category) of their V5 says? is it N1 or M1? Also item X Section 4 Taxation Class?

Having spoken to DVLA they insist a Citroen Relay is a goods vehicle and category N1 whatever the body type. That's not my understanding of the rules.

My conversion is definitely now only passenger carrying there is no space for carrying goods and there is now only two front seats not 3.

Thanks
Chris

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
The Base PVC chassis leaves fiat factory with a N1 (commercial) classification on the fiat CoC, but is changed to Classification M1 on my Formal Defhells / globecar Second stage converter CoC.

I think private conversions are stuck with the N1 vehicle classification permanently

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The Base PVC chassis leaves fiat factory with a N1 (commercial) classification on the fiat CoC, but is changed to Classification M1 on my Formal Defhells / globecar Second stage converter CoC.

I think private conversions are stuck with the N1 vehicle classification permanently
@Wissel ???

Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi

I'm nearing completion of my Motorhome conversion and trying to get to the bottom of changed to the V5C

Does anyone out there have an Autosleeper based on a 6m boxer that can tell me the Item J Section 4 (Vehicle category) of their V5 says? is it N1 or M1? Also item X Section 4 Taxation Class?

Having spoken to DVLA they insist a Citroen Relay is a goods vehicle and category N1 whatever the body type. That's not my understanding of the rules.

My conversion is definitely now only passenger carrying there is no space for carrying goods and there is now only two front seats not 3.

Thanks
Chris

My understanding is that you cannot change the original manufactures type approval, so a converted van remains N1 with a motor caravan body type and LGV taxation class.

The reason some type approval lines on the V5 are left blank is that the vehicle, which would otherwise be N1, has been converted to motor caravan prior to first registration.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
If anyone is concerned about changing to 'Motor Caravan' in the body type section but remaining as N1 Category and its relationship to the Dartford Crossing don't worry. From experience their systems change the charge to that appropriately.

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
My self build VW T4 is registered on the V5 as a Motor Caravan but still has the N1 classification. My Carthago Malibu is registered on the V5 as a Motor Caravan but doesn't have any N1, M1 etc classification. Both go over the Dartford Crossing as motorhomes and are both charged the same as a car. I do have them both as well as a car on an account and they are all charged the same.

Cheers

Trevor

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just checked my V5. Mine says N1 and Motor Caravan as body type.

Was a van when I bought it, changed with DVLA when I'd converted it.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
So - we changed our PVC to Motor Caravan on the V5C but just spoken with DVLA as vehicle category is N1 and they say this doesnt change. Dartford Crossing use the vehicle category to charge which is a whole pound difference to what Bessie used to cost. Not a major issue as we very rarely use the crossing but just curious to know what Vehicle Category other PVCs or for that matter any other type of Motorhomes have on the V5C.
Our V5C leaves the category blank .... so who knows ......

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Field J "vehicle category" is blank on my V5C, body type is motor caravan, taxation class is PLGV ;)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The Dartford Crossing and the M25 are 2 reasons why I cross the Channel from Newhaven or Portsmouth - wouldn't do again if the Dartford crossing was free(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If anyone is concerned about changing to 'Motor Caravan' in the body type section but remaining as N1 Category and its relationship to the Dartford Crossing don't worry. From experience their systems change the charge to that appropriately.
Yup, our campers are the same class as our car:

upload_2018-5-4_19-10-27.png

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our V5C leaves the category blank .... so who knows ......
Our 'vehicle category' is blank too ...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back