Holiday in Europe with 2 dogs (1 Viewer)

tracey51

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi I am Tracey

My husband and I are new to motorhoming. We are looking at travelling around Europe for 3 weeks next June with our 2 dogs.
I have been doing some research and it seems that some countries only accept certain breeds. We have a Staffie and a Black Labrador.
We were looking at travelling from Dover through to Germany, Austria, Italy, maybe a little Spain and back up through France.

We know all about the pet passport and vaccinations. Its just the dog situation, whether you can just pass through a country without stopping

Has anyone had any experience or ideas on this it would be much appreciated.
There seem to be a lot of difference of opinions. It seems that our Charlie(staff) is the problem.

This is one of the reasons of us getting a motorhome was so we didn't have to leave our dogs in kennels.
Do we change our plans???

Help!!!!

Many thanks
Tracey

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Firstly, :welcome3:

We travel to Europe with our dog, and the simple answer is yes. You can travel where you like without being stopped. The pet passport is only checked when you return to the UK.

With regards to certain breeds, I think you are referring to certain campsites. There is no ban in any country for a Staffie. Some campsites will baulk at you bringing him in though, because they wrongly believe that they are dangerous dogs.

There is another member on here who owns a staffie (can't remember who though) and he has a little sign in a few languages that says something along the lines of:
"He is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and is friendly, please pet him!"

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some campsites are dog free, a few have weight limits - dogs under 5kg only for example, though I've only come across that a couple of times I think. Otherwise there are no restrictions you need worry about with your dogs except your Staffie might need to be muzzled in public in Germany but not necessarily everywhere as the rules are local not national. There is some info here if you look down the page:

Oh, and a big welcome to the Forum! I see you live just down the road!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The other thing to be aware of is public transport, including things like tourist boats on lakes if you happen to be near one.

You can take dogs on most things but often they will need to be muzzled.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I saw some dogs on my local town in France muzzled, but no idea if that was choice of the owner. I certainly didn't see any signs.
I had no problems with my 2 anywhere. One is friendly and fluffy looking. The other is a small GSD lookalike and doesn't like other dogs. We stayed on Aires, campsites and wild amped in France with no problems.
Check them for ticks daily, as tick fever can be a problem.
But otherwise I don't think you'll have any problems.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Check them for ticks daily, as tick fever can be a problem.

Also depending how far South you get Sandfly treatment is essential.

A spot on treatment like Advantix is about the easiest way. Don't buy it from your vet here though. Get it from pretty much any larger pharmacy in France, it will be a lot cheaper. It will take care of ticks too.

Also don't give it within 2 weeks of using Advocate or any other Imidacloprid based flea treatment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

tracey51

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Many thanks for the replies.
Didn't realise it would be so complicated.
Oh well let's keep doing our research.

Thanks again
Tracey

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Have you looked at the Ukraine!!!!! Are they utterly insane? On the list of banned breeds there are some of the most docile and trainable dogs you could ever want.
Including, Labradors, Airedales, Great Danes, Dalmatians, Bernese Mountain Dog (That's the Berner Sennenhund) the list goes on! Essentially it would appear that in the Ukraine, you are only allowed dogs that will fit in a handbag!

Upvote 0

GWG

Free Member
Oct 15, 2015
Paignton, Devon
Funster No
MH
C. Bessacarr 496
Exp
2 years (40 years Caravan)
image.jpeg

Hello , my name is Oakley. I am a very handsome Staffie, as you can see. Last year I went to all the countries on your list, apart from Italy. I had no problems at all, never wore a muzzle Went lots of walkies, nobody had any problem giving me plenty of fuss. (Scratch Behind left ear is favourite). I even made good friends with a German Policedog at Octoberfest, in Munich. We played every day for nearly a week.
I have also gone to Spain (via France, through tunnel) for a couple of months, for the last 2 years. No worries. Charlie will love it.
Tell him to wear his Sand Flea Collar, and stay away from Caterpillars, as wild camping is great, but stay safe. Xx

Upvote 0

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
No Problems with taking the dog to Germany / France ETC. Dont worry about it its easy. Took him to the Dusseldorf show no problems.

We take our own worming tablets and ask the vet to give them to the dog and then they sign the passport.

Just come back from Germany and the vet charged us 10 euro's.

Always only go buy the Tunnel these days with the dog / The ferry is very scary if you stay in your van , car alarms , vibration very noisy.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
955matt - Just come back from Germany and the vet charged us 10 euro's.

Any chance of an address for the Vet to allow me to add it to the Google map?

:france::france::france::france:
Keith, I've been meaning to send you one that we used on our recent holiday. It's in Colditz, she charges by weight, so our 40kg dog was €27.
location is here: N51.1183981, E12.8303426
And her website: http://www.tierarztpraxis-knobloch.de/

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We were told that dogs need to be muzzled on public transport in Belgium, but we took our cocker spaniel on the train with no problem. It seems to be left to the discretion of the train / bus crew.

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
:HelloThere::welcome4:we have travelled over the last 10 years to france wiith our english bull terrier with no problems. brittany Ferries do say dogs should be muzzled in the ports but in all our crossings with BF have never seen one muzzled even when in the check in areas. on a recent trip to spain we met english bull terriers and staffies on walkies with no problems. Enjoy your travel but as others have said be aware of Ticks, Sand Flys and Processionary Caterpillars

Upvote 0

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
In France there particular rules in relation to ' Classe 1 and 2 ' dogs and they are often not accepted on campsites....As it is France I'm sure in a quiet season it may be overlooked but in a busy season perhaps not....

look here Link Removed

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back