Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
G'day

Anyone with recent experience of camping sites near Florence please?

BW

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
G'day

Anyone with recent experience of camping sites near Florence please?

BW

Nope but this one is earmarked for end of May:

Link Removed

I've not been. I've not found anything closer. There are two big ones but something like 20K outside.

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Camping Florence

About 2 yrs ago we were supposed to stay at Michelangelo (pre Tom Tom), never did find the place in the chaotic traffic system.
Then remembered a site at Mordello (motor race circuit) a short ride outside.
Stayed for about one week, quiet, resturant,bar and a bus into Florence at regular intervals and plenty of Dutch fellow campers (always a good sign).
We would stay again. I think they take Camping Cheques or ACSI.
Unless it is your bent make sure there isn't a race meeting as I don't imagine it will be quiet then.

Unless you are a hot house flower I dont reccomend it later than May we fried just walkinf arround Florence. It is a must tho! and Rome, Pisa etc but either early or late in the year. We always plan to arrive in Italy early May and be retreating to higher / cooler ground by the end.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Nope but this one is earmarked for end of May:

Link Removed

I've not been. I've not found anything closer. There are two big ones but something like 20K outside.

we used this a few years ago (2005)

Link Removed here for the blog

seem to remember it was not cheap but... it was very close to the town. It was an old Olive Grove I understand

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Steve, do you mean Mugello Verde? I can't find anything on Mordello.

I have stayed at Mugello a couple of times it's very pleasant and quiet but quite a way from Florence. Another one is Norcenni Girasole at Figline Valdarno, also a distance from the city but they do run a coach in, daily I think. I've stayed there 3 times, it's very popular.

Michelangelo overlooks the city and is within walking distance, I have also stayed there twice. It's not very quiet as it is close to the main road. The biggest disadvantage I found was that being on quite a steep hill some of the pitches are difficult to get in or out. It is a lot flatter at the bottom of the site with good size pitches BUT it is a very steep walk up to the toilet block, ok for the younger ones amongst us but the golden oldies could find it difficult. The EHU at the bottom is also lots more amps.

Phil.

OP
OP
Baggins

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Steve, do you mean Mugello Verde? I can't find anything on Mordello.

Michelangelo overlooks the city and is within walking distance, I have also stayed there twice. It is a lot flatter at the bottom of the site with good size pitches BUT it is a very steep walk up to the toilet block, ok for the younger ones amongst us but the golden oldies could find it difficult. The EHU at the bottom is also lots more amps.

Phil.

THAT looks like a challange to me Phil - three years off 'three score & ten' and I won't be beat by a little slope..........I'll use the loo in the van!

If the sun goes in and I can drag myself off the beach here in Beaulieu-sur-Mer.....well we have had 2 days of rain....... I'll be on my way to Florence.

Actually last time I was there 25 years ago we stayed at Fiesolle (that doesn't look right) and there was a drought and no water.

Thanks

BW

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I stayed at Fiesole about 20 years ago, that was also on a hillside with a very steep climb up to the entrance. It was a short walk to the village which was quite nice. The main thing I remember about it was the Post Bus that blew its very loud toodle oo on every bend starting very early in the morning. :Eeek:

Phil

pneumatician

Free Member
Feb 22, 2009
Burntwood Staffs
Funster No
MH
La Strada,
Exp
since 2000
Phil, Thats the one. (Camping Cheques) You get a free bus from the campsite into the little town then a bus into Florence. All very efficient and inexpensive. A Brilliant Ironmongers and Chandlers in the town for all of your camping requirements.
We enjoyed the peace and quiet after a day in the City and the bus ride was quite enjoyable too.

Steve

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Because it was our first motorhome vacation in 2002, we used Mike & Terri Church's Traveller's Guide to European Camping extensively. Quoted from their book: "Camping Michelangelo is one of the best known and loved campground's in Europe. Don't even think of coming to Florence and staying anywhere else unless it is either full or closed".

I guess it depends on when you're going to be there. According to the book it is only closed fom Nov 6 to Dec 14 but perhaps the book is outdated since the website says it's open all year round. We were there in July and then returned again in August (with friends) and even at the height of summer they'll still squeeze you in. Some advice: get there early if you're going in the height of summer. As others are leaving it's easy to bag a good spot.

The views over Florence are simply stunning.

And because it is only 2 kilometres from the Ponte Vecchio, it's simply a walk down the hill and along the river and you're in town. Alternatively, the bus into town stops right outside the campsite. Depending on your fitness, however, you might get into town quicker by walking (you can always catch the bus back) :winky:

The campsite has an incredible buzz to it. They have a fabulous verandah, again with fab views over the city, where you can sit and enjoy a few drinks while the sun goes down.

The campsite is easy to find. It's on the hill on the south side of the river. Follow the signs for Piazzale Michelangelo.

There are two other campsites the Church's recommend. One has already been mentioned: Camping Panoramico Fiesole, located on a mountaintop suburb 7kms from downtown Florence.

The other is Campeggio Villa Camerata, which (we haven't been to but) they say is a good alternative to Camping Michelangelo. In their book they say, "the view is not as good but it is almost as convenient with good bus service (number 17B to/from the railway station) or a 45 minute walk into town".

Personally, we'd head for Camping Michelangelo in a heartbeat!

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Has anyone stayed on Internazionale Firenze campsite its in the 2010 ACSi campingcard book, (page 670 site 1713) its at Bottai/Impruneta, just wondering if its suitable to catch a bus from into Florence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back