Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
a couple of years.. with a long hiatus..
Hi all,

Just in the process of buying my van to do up, been out of the campering for quite a few years! Pretty excited, but just getting insurance quotes atm. I had a quote for £427 from AF for a '13 transit custom. The policy is through ageas and gives me a year to convert, and full european cover.

Does this sound reasonable? I haven't had car insurance for 2 years (company car) so I'm a bit out of it!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds about right with no no claims discount that could be mirrored from a private car policy

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I paid about half that with Shield.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If there isn't a no claims discount that sounds like a decent quote.

If you have been driving a company car I am guessing you don't have your own no claims bonus - but once (and only once) I got matched no claims discount usuing the same insurer as the company used where I was a named driver on their policy.

OP
OP
Bluebottle

Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
That was with the 9+ years NCB I had from previous private insurance..
I paid about half that with Shield.

Hmm OK. I will try Shield.

I don't have my original NCB but it was less than two years ago I cancelled my insurance, so it should still be valid - trying to find the paperwork but I had a massive purge a couple of months ago! Have mailed direct line (I think I was with them!) for a copy as well.

edit: I did make a claim in oct '14 for 500 quid which seems to be affecting it somewhat..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Ralph-n-Bev might be able to help as they did a self-build

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi there , we insured through comfort underwritten by highway for £364.
Here's a link to the thread for he build. And a bit about the insurance. Though insurance is also discussed elsewhere in the thread. ( very long I know)
We had a few problems as the build took longer than planned due to work commitments and Ralph being he perfectionist he is. So we had to reinsure again .
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/page-32

OP
OP
Bluebottle

Bluebottle

Free Member
Aug 26, 2016
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
Soon.. a Transit Custom
Exp
Hi there , we insured through comfort underwritten by highway for £364.
Here's a link to the thread for he build. And a bit about the insurance. Though insurance is also discussed elsewhere in the thread. ( very long I know)
We had a few problems as the build took longer than planned due to work commitments and Ralph being he perfectionist he is. So we had to reinsure again .
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/page-32

I... will not be having a van that looks like that by the time I'm done. Stunning job there guys. Pro quality. This quote does include a whole year to convert, which is handy - I remember last time thinking '90 days? no problem!!' (nb: problems - although this time I am extremely underemployed on purpose for the next couple of months so.. maybe...).
I'll probably get some more quotes and go back to AF, as they do ask the question 'do you have a quote to beat?' which tells me they have margin to play with..

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
That price was for another 90 days.:Eeek:
Which meant we could get Pug signed off and then finish the little bits off.
Which took almost a year to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back