kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Morning all,we recently changed our nellie`s food to that frozen/ fresh meat variety that has added fruit & veggies & have to say she doing really well on it !!she appears more alert (unlike her owners:sleep:) her coat is shinier & she has got down to her ideal weight.So my question is does anyone know if the same food is available in france & spain,& if so what shops ? .Our local vets sell it, wonder if vets do the same abroad ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Can't comment on the specific brand, but we found no trouble getting hold of the food that Rosie eats. In fact, one of the Stellplatz we stopped at was just down the road from a huge pet food sellers!

Reactions: kip

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Morning all,we recently changed our nellie`s food to that frozen/ fresh meat variety that has added fruit & veggies & have to say she doing really well on it !!she appears more alert (unlike her owners:sleep:) her coat is shinier & she has got down to her ideal weight.So my question is does anyone know if the same food is available in france & spain,& if so what shops ? .Our local vets sell it, wonder if vets do the same abroad ?
Not being a dog owner, the brand you're describing isn't familiar to me. But I can say that when I lived in France (with 4 cats) the popular (familiar) brands were readily available. They do have a thing about incorporating veg in pet food recipes - which took a bit of getting used to - but your post indicates that's a requirement. Hope that helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our two are on Nutriment and it really suits them. We can only fit 4 weeks supply in our freezer though so they get the odd meal of raw meat from the butcher to supplement our supplies.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We took a supply of Jamies favourite when we toured Scandinavia (pouches of Caesar and a big bag of dry biscuit), didn't take up a lot of room, but we found we could get it almost everywhere. In reality he eats what he is given or goes hungry - which of course he never is...............!

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
My dog is also on Nutriment but I would just feed him on raw chicken wings, raw and cooked veg etc when abroad if I could not find anything suitable.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
My dog is also on Nutriment but I would just feed him on raw chicken wings, raw and cooked veg etc when abroad if I could not find anything suitable.
The only bones a dog should have is raw marrow bone. Any other bones whether cooked or not could splinter and pierce the gut causing serious damage.

Fresh meat specifically for the dog can be found on the fresh meay counter in most supermarkets (leclerc). To this you could add your own mix of grated vegetables.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would be surprised if you could easily source fresh/frozen food other than going to a butcher of course! I thought about feeding ours this but decided not to because I didn't think you could buy it readily. He has been on an all in one since a puppy and loves it. But I can see the advantages of the fresh stuff - but I am not sure how practical it is for touring. We don't have a freezer so would need to shop for meat every few days.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thats what we were thinking.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I would be surprised if you could easily source fresh/frozen food other than going to a butcher of course! I thought about feeding ours this but decided not to because I didn't think you could buy it readily. He has been on an all in one since a puppy and loves it. But I can see the advantages of the fresh stuff - but I am not sure how practical it is for touring. We don't have a freezer so would need to shop for meat every few days.
We plan to spend the winter in spain from dec to the end of march & will be taking along a small chest freezer for the duration,hence my original question.If needs be we will as already mentioned, prepare her food for her but the convenience of pre frozen would always be favourite.Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We took a supply of Jamies favourite when we toured Scandinavia (pouches of Caesar and a big bag of dry biscuit), didn't take up a lot of room, but we found we could get it almost everywhere. In reality he eats what he is given or goes hungry - which of course he never is...............!
Have you looked up the nutritional value of Caesar ... one of the worst things you can give your dog according to our vet as it's so full of cr@p as in high fat/sugar etc type ingredients.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
The only bones a dog should have is raw marrow bone. Any other bones whether cooked or not could splinter and pierce the gut causing serious damage.

Fresh meat specifically for the dog can be found on the fresh meay counter in most supermarkets (leclerc). To this you could add your own mix of grated vegetables.

I agree that cooked bones are a definite no no for dogs but I have never heard or read that raw chicken bones should not be given.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
BARF is a very popular diet for dogs round here - uncooked chicken wings are considered a treat - but I just can't bring myself to give them to Buzz.

Lots of info on the internet describing the benefits.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have you looked up the nutritional value of Caesar ... one of the worst things you can give your dog according to our vet as it's so full of cr@p as in high fat/sugar etc type ingredients.
Quite possible,who are we to argue with the experts (any vets about ?) anyway the thing is nellie would eat a scabby horse given the chance,so choice wasn`t an
I agree that cooked bones are a definite no no for dogs but I have never heard or read that raw chicken bones should not be given.
Have to agree,our vet sell them, so we now give nellie those as a treat along with,croquette potatoes & a side salad :D;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Tried our dogs with raw chicken wings ... obviously they can't speak but the looks they gave us said it all "... we may eat loads of rubbish but really ... you expect us to eat THEM!????" :eek:

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Our dogs were all on Eukanuba but all went off it at the same time - suspect a change in ingredients.
We tried them on home made and haven't looked back but we are about to do our first long trip in the van (10 days) so will be interesting to see how I get on prepping dinner for them.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I prepare all of Izzy's food as she is on a raw diet. I buy the cheapest cuts of meat or mince, dice up when necessary and freeze in little meal size portions (100grams per meal). I do this about once a week and chop up a variety of vegetables every other day or so and keep these in the fridge.

Sometimes I steam the veg as I read somewhere that they can extract different vitamins from cooked veg. I add a very small handful of uncooked porridge oats to this, or cold cooked potatoe left overs, or brown rice.

With her breakfast she has a half measure of multi vitamins, obtained from our local pet store and with the evening meal she has a small glug of olive oil. Once or twice a week she has a tin of oily fish instead of raw meat.

Now I am used to this I don't find it a chore and she clears her dish in minutes. There is never any waste and I can get these food stuffs anywhere, in any country.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Little food bags,great idea (y)we bought a cheap hand mincer from robert dyas a little while back to prepare fresh meat.Nellie also loves tinned fish but has an allergic reaction to tuna !!she also likes olives so gets them occasionally for a treat.Looks like we have all the bases covered,Thanks peeps !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Our two are fed Skinners Field and Trial .. measure out and take what we need for the trip..

They don't eat much when travelling.. Bella , the Cairn Terrier get's travel sick.. Mylo the JRT takes everyone in his stride.. loves travelling..

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm curious why some owners give the dog exactly the same food constantly. Surely some variation is necessary to get benefits from other foods?

Our Elvis gets same dry diet, but always gets lots of meaty treats and often licks our plates clean.

Indeed, many bars here bring him treats from their kitchen .

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Little food bags,great idea (y)we bought a cheap hand mincer from robert dyas a little while back to prepare fresh meat.Nellie also loves tinned fish but has an allergic reaction to tuna !!she also likes olives so gets them occasionally for a treat.Looks like we have all the bases covered,Thanks peeps !
If you press the meat flat, like little burgers, they defrost very quickly, especially in a bit of warm water - thats if you are like me and forget to take a pack out the freezer now and then.

Limit the olive treats to one now and then as they are quite salty. One of the reasons I started to feed Izzy natuarl food is that a lot of the dry, all in one foods, seem to have salt and sugar in them. Just why a dog needs salt and sugar added to their food is beyond me.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One of the reasons I started to feed Izzy natuarl food is that a lot of the dry, all in one foods, seem to have salt and sugar in them. Just why a dog needs salt and sugar added to their food is beyond me.
Same as human food, to make it taste better as once cooked/processed it can lose flavour.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Same as human food, to make it taste better as once cooked/processed it can lose flavour.
I realise that, I was being a bit ironic. Dogs cannot process sugar and salt and have no need for it to be added to their diet. Or at least that is my understanding after do a bit of research.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
A little off track, but reading the lengths to which some of you (commendably) go to satisfy your "mans best friend" reminded me of a pet hate of mine; veggies and vegans who insist on imposing their dietary choice upon their pets. Denying meat to any animal that has evolved over millennia to be carnivorous is (IMO) tantamount to cruelty. If veggies/vegans convictions are that strong then they should get themselves a sheep or similar.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996

In November last year we bought a retiring ex breeding Working Cocker Spaniel from a breeder in Lincolnshire. When asked what we should feed her on he replied raw chicken wings which have been frozen and then thawed out. We were surprised to hear that as we had always been told not to feed our previous dogs on bones. This breeder, who is an adviser to a government committee on dog breeding regulations, was adamant that he had fed all his breeding dogs that way for years and never had a problem. He did stress only frozen chicken wings, no other part of the chicken.

We still didn't fancy feeding her that way and she is very happy and healthy on grain free Devoted dry food.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We just use a completed dog food our springier lived to the ripe old age of 16
Suppose if wee had spoiled her she might have lived to 10
Bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We just use a completed dog food our springier lived to the ripe old age of 16
Suppose if wee had spoiled her she might have lived to 10
Bill

Likewise Bill .. (y)

you won't find working farm dogs being fed gourmet meals prepared by a Michelin chef ..

had several Border collies from farms, fed a complete food as advised by the farmer and lived to a ripe old age.. My two get the occasional treat..a bone from the butcher, leftover scraps of meat and veg etc.. other wise a complete food bought from the farm supply shop.

Here Fido .. lunch is served.. would you like gravy .. ?

Spanish-Michelin-Star-Chef-Rodrigo-de-la-Calle-Flies-in-from-Madrid.png

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Who said anything about gourmet meals? Feeding raw food is hardly gourmet.

It is however a practical way of travelling from country to country and not having to go in search of the right type of dog food all the time. Or filling up the garage with sacks of the stuff.

OP
OP
kip

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm curious why some owners give the dog exactly the same food constantly. Surely some variation is necessary to get benefits from other foods?

Our Elvis gets same dry diet, but always gets lots of meaty treats and often licks our plates clean.

Indeed, many bars here bring him treats from their kitchen .
The food nellie`s on has lots of variety, from chicken,lamb rabbit etc even venison + blueberries:),& she can`t get enough.The packages also layout clearly the amount to give according to the size of your best friend so a winner all round.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Who said anything about gourmet meals? Feeding raw food is hardly gourmet.

wasn't pointing the finger, but there are some who do go overboard with their dogs diet ..

The risks of raw food diets have been documented in several studies published in veterinary journals. However it is a controversial subject that not all veterinarians agree.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back