MiFi/WiFi (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Does anyone do a combined Mifi and WiFi booster device. Before anyone jumps on me I understand that they do separate if related jobs but a phone can handle data and wifi so one box to switch from one to the other would seem a good logical idea.

Also can someone recommend a supplier who will be at the NEC for me the have a chat/ make a purchase. Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
PaulB
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Dont understand. A mi fi is a wi fi device.
MiFi converts a phone data signal to WiFi, I actually meant WiFi booster device, now corrected

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I have a Huawei Mobile WiFi E5330. Bought on eBay £25, then bought a £20 SIM card from "3" and have been able to get WiFi almost 90% of Europe

Colyboy

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think what the OP is after is a unit like the WiFi booster (which is essentially a WiFi repeater) that can also connect to a mobile 4g network should a WiFi not be available.
We used to have a router at the office which did that for home broadband, it could act as a repeater, or connect to a broadband. I haven't seen a unit like you describe, but I am sure one must exist.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I am going to open a can of worms here! What I have used very successfully is a Linux netbook (Samsung NC10) which I connect either to a USB omni directional Wifi aerial first to see if there are any signals I can connect too such as FON, campsite Wifi etc.

Once I have a signal I run a script which then sets the laptop up as a 'hot spot', essentially a router, which all the device in the motorhome can use. I then use the netbook for browsing, e-mail etc. It also runs PureVPN for secure connections for banking etc. when required.

As a fall back I use a mifi device which all devices can connect to anyway. This has worked very well in France. As all things Linux, it is a tad painful to set up but once working is seemless and there is loads of support on the net.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some of the Huawei Mifi devices can also log in to a WiFi signal, mine can, but it isn't a booster as such. I suppose you might put it on the roof to get a better signal then log in to it from inside the vehicle but when I tried that there was no performance increase

I think the problem is a mifi and WiFi booster need different aerial designs for best performance.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have given up trying to explain the difference between wi-fi internet and mobile data internet.

I too have asked myself the same question as PaulB in the OP.

I haven't yet found a signal amplifier that boosts both signals.

Luckily I spend most of my time in Portugal these days, and the mobile data coverage is pretty good. I don't have much need of other folk's wifi signals anymore.

JJ :cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Luckily I spend most of my time in Portugal these days, and the mobile data coverage is pretty good. I don't have much need of other folk's wifi signals anymore.

likewise.. rarely find free wifi..

I found I had good coverage in both the UK and France with 3 network ..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I think the problem is a mifi and WiFi booster need different aerial designs for best performance.

To be properly effective such a device would need two completely separate antennas.

likewise.. rarely find free wifi..

I found I had good coverage in both the UK and France with 3 network ..

I seem to find Wifi fairly easily in the UK so the iBoost gets used more here but don't tend to have much luck when abroad so that's when the Mifi comes into its own.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I've given up on free or even pay as you go wifi in the UK since getting a mifi and using either '3' or EE. Even right up in the north of Scotland I was able to use it. Hoping it will be good down through France and into Spain this Winter.

Feb 10, 2011
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B584
Exp
Since 2010
I sit outside and drink beer.
Sit all day in front of a PC so I don't want to be techno connected during leisure time.
Having said that it is useful to find out where the nearest beer store is.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I certainly agree that I find mifi on 3 much more consistently than wifi of any kind both abroad and in the UK. I'm even wondering if I need wifi/internet on landline at home.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I certainly agree that I find mifi on 3 much more consistently than wifi of any kind both abroad and in the UK. I'm even wondering if I need wifi/internet on landline at home.
If you don't want to watch things like iPlayer then you may well be fine with a broadband connection only. But if you do want to watch streaming things then I suspect you will exceed your data allowance. I'm not aware there are any unlimited data deals left any more and any that claim to be will have something in the fine print about "fair use" which is legal speak for "we can cut you off if we want to". :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
My only access to the Internet at home and in the MH is Mi-Fi on the '3' network. Admittedly I dont stream TV programmes but do spend a lot of time browsing especially this site!!!

Works great for me, speed ok and no bill for a landline.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
My only access to the Internet at home and in the MH is Mi-Fi on the '3' network. Admittedly I dont stream TV programmes but do spend a lot of time browsing especially this site!!!

Works great for me, speed ok and no bill for a landline.

Chatting to a "Salesperson" in a Vodaphone shop over 20 years ago. He was then predicting that he thought that "landlines" would eventually become extinct!. It is happening, but much slower than was (then) predicted. I have heard that "they" are working on getting download speeds in excess 20 or more gb on "wireless" broadband?.

I bought a cheap "smart phone" £35 for my Granddaughter to use whilst "over here" from the USA earlier this year. I "tether" it and use it as a dedicated sim only (GiffGaff) Mi Fi , works perfectly for running 4 Devices off.

I also have one of these from the USA:- Amazon product ASIN B009RZP28E which pulls in weak WiFi on most sites with "line of sight".

BTW. has anyone actually tried to check a download using 4G Mi Fi?.

Pete

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
BTW. has anyone actually tried to check a download using 4G Mi Fi?.

It often says "4g" on my NOS mifi thingy here in Portugal and in some locations it is pretty fast...

Screenshot_2016-09-02-09-57-03.png

Sadly my small orchard is not such a good location for NOS data signal. It took ages to upload this screen shot!

JJ :cool:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Does anyone do a combined Mifi and WiFi booster device. Before anyone jumps on me I understand that they do separate if related jobs but a phone can handle data and wifi so one box to switch from one to the other would seem a good logical idea.

Also can someone recommend a supplier who will be at the NEC for me the have a chat/ make a purchase. Thanks
If I remember correctly, the advice from @Addie of www.motorhomewifi.com fame, is that 'Yes' such devices exist, but they don't particularly recommend them. As NickNic says, you still need two different antennae to receive the two different signal types.

Some mifi units do have the ability to receive & re-broadcast a wifi signal, but they don't have sufficient booster function to replace a proper wifi booster/re-broadcaster.

OP
OP
PaulB
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
If I remember correctly, the advice from @Addie of www.motorhomewifi.com fame, is that 'Yes' such devices exist, but they don't particularly recommend them. As NickNic says, you still need two different antennae to receive the two different signal types.

Some mifi units do have the ability to receive & re-broadcast a wifi signal, but they don't have sufficient booster function to replace a proper wifi booster/re-broadcaster.
Thanks I will go and see the Motorhome WiFi team at the NEC

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
I have an iboost that I've had for more than a year and have never been able to get a signal in the UK or abroad.
Now I have a Huawei that I've been using in the UK and France,and up to now no problems,using it now as were touring Scotland.
Ok you have to pay for the sim but £28 for 12 months. It will take me a few years to meet the cost of the iboost £190

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know what you all need or want out of wifi or mobile internet, maybe some need it for work or other reasons, but we have been to France many times over four years, and never had the need for more internet than can be got from free wifi in most towns and even in out of the way bars and things, and what we can get off a normal phone signal or the huwii mifi thingy with a three data sim in. Very rare if none of them work. And the only cost is the £28 for the 12 gb 3 data sim, the phones work on the feel at home 3 normal phone sim. And if all else fails we also have a mobile on O2 that we don't roam with but if needed it almost always has a signal but costs £1.99 a day unlimited.

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
If you don't want to watch things like iPlayer then you may well be fine with a broadband connection only. But if you do want to watch streaming things then I suspect you will exceed your data allowance. I'm not aware there are any unlimited data deals left any more and any that claim to be will have something in the fine print about "fair use" which is legal speak for "we can cut you off if we want to". :)

Portugal has a unlimited internet sim for one euro a day. Even watch TVs on it.

Reactions: DBK

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
IMG_1092.JPG
We use this ,think it costs about £12 a month(n) but it works for us.Its never let us down yet(y)
Brian & Jo

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back