Dusseldorf Show and some decisions to be made (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
We are just back from the Dusseldorf show after having visited for two days - bloody hell what a place!!
Despite the fact it was very busy on Sunday there was still access to the vans and on Monday when quieter we had plenty of viewing opportunities. It really would be possible to lose the plot there - Carthago alone had 37 vans on display!

We went with a list of Rapido/Carthago and Hymer vans to look at as well as my "mystery van" (a Dethleffs 4 Travel with end bathroom and drop down electric bed but still incorporating garage).
SWMBO quickly knocked out the single bed over garage models as she'd feel claustrophobic being so close to the overhead lockers.
Hymer - due to "production difficulties" had no island bed vans there at all(!).
The Boss doesn't like vans with separate shower/loo as she feels that this is a waste of space so that knocked a load out of my list too...
Quite by chance we stepped into a Rapido 850 (which is not available in the UK) and is a sort of French bed with space beside the wall but with a smaller garage than I'd like and a corner combined loo/shower. Its 6.7 metres but because of the design feels more open and she loved it. However there were some fairly substantial compromises which we discussed overnight in that the garage is limited and I think that storage space is limited too with it appears the option of a single outside locker and small underfloor space in addition to the garage.
We then looked into a Carthage 142QB which is the same length, has a garage, transverse bed (which we didn't want) but with access from the bottom as well as the side. That got a vote too so now we have a bit of a dilemma!
The Rapido looks to be substantially less expensive and the Carthago about £10-£15k more so a large price differential although we had loaded some extra's onto the Carthago which we'd have to add to the Rapido.
Issue is if we buy the Rapido will I always be cursing the garage/storage limitations and thinking maybe we should have gone Cartahgo.

We priced the Carthago with a UK dealer at the show with "sensible options" having explored on Mobile.de in the past. He advised that £/€ has really screwed things both for importing and for the dealers as the manufacturers have dictated exchange rate prices to them for this year and there is less to play with for discounts this side of the channel as well (effectively) as pushing up prices importing from the other.

Going to spend a few days with a spreadsheet doing pro's/con's and pricing but would appreciate feedback from those of you with more experience that we have.

Cheers

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The last thing that you want to do is spend all that dosh on a MH that you are not happy with, I'd list down some must haves in a list then a list of would likes ,it's easier to compromise on the would likes than the must haves, compromising on must haves can lead to thinking that you should have bought the other MH

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Check payloads :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sometimes all the interior fittings are so heavy, it doesn't leave a lot for what you need to carry.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Me and the wife flew over on Sunday and did the show Monday and also at the show today.

Went to look at 2 vans but are none the wiser now as it seems to have gone to a 4 van choice

And if we go the tag axle way another 3 vans, wife is no help as she just likes all of them!

Very good show though well worth going as the amount of vans on show takes some believing.
Trouble is though more vans = more confusion!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Which UK dealer are you thinking of buying a Carthago from - dealers are not created equal
Pm me if you like

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
You will need storage, think about what you take away with you, and then the payload comes into play. Shorter van less storage less payload. Nice to be able to go anywhere being under 7 metres but no good if you can't take anything with you. All them extras are going to weigh something. It's a big decision so get it right. All the best to you both. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back