Cramer Glass Hob cover fixings (1 Viewer)

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I wonder if any members could assist me in sourcing the fixings for our Cramer Glass Hob cover.

We have a three burner gas hob, and on our first trip, the pan supports were placed in the wrong position, and "someone" closed the lid, putting strain on the fixings, which stripped the thread of one of them. I did try a couple of sites on the internet, the only one who replied told me that I would have to buy the complete lid to get the fixings.

I have tried to upload some pics. The second is of the damaged fixings, the first (v small) is supposed to represent the hob.

Any ideas anyone?

Steve

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As you have nothing to loose and every thing to gain
Think about a repair
There are many products out there that you could pour into the button, screw in the bolt and allow to set, efectifly re threading the fitting. remove bolt and re fit to lid
Geo

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Try these people Link Removed

They do every type of plastic screw and gizmo you can think of. They also are happy to send you out a few free samples as well, which might get your cooker fixed for nowt!!!:winky: :thumb:

Anyone else should also bookmark this site as they do all kinds of latches, catches, hinges etc etc etc used on motorhomes and caravan all over the world:thumb:

If you cant find exactly the part your after why dont you but a couple of slightly smaller nuts bolts and washers and drill a hole through the plastic broken bit and use it as a spacer to protect the glass??:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
This last suggestion has merit. The "plastic" bit is in fact metal. scratched as I was trying to grip it to get the threaded machine screw to tighten. I have had a negative reply from O'Leary Motorhomes, so as the first reply states, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I will look for some material to pour in and set - perhaps an epoxy resin. If that fails, I may drill out and use another fixing through it. The only problem with that is I would prefer something that was smooth or rounded to avoid snagging things on the closed surface.

Thanks to both suggestions

Steve

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Fixings

Try doing a search for Polymorph Thermoplastic Granules these were once reccomended by Peter from John Cross Motorhomes looks like good stuff maybe he will be along later to put me right if I am wrong

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
This last suggestion has merit. The "plastic" bit is in fact metal. scratched as I was trying to grip it to get the threaded machine screw to tighten. I have had a negative reply from O'Leary Motorhomes, so as the first reply states, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I will look for some material to pour in and set - perhaps an epoxy resin. If that fails, I may drill out and use another fixing through it. The only problem with that is I would prefer something that was smooth or rounded to avoid snagging things on the closed surface.

Steve
Hi steve have 2 class tops complete that I bought from o'leary m/h brand new never been used both smoked class tops complete with fixing brackets give me a call if interested on 01189413037 Tony

OP
OP
steveclecy

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Thanks for the offer, and I may yet take you up, but that is the frustration, I have a perfectly serviceable glass lid, it is just the fixing that has failed.

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Steve

whatever compound you use to 'rethread' the parts dont forget to very lightly oil the threaded bolt first or even better... a wrap of PTFE plumbers tape or you wont get them apart again.

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Try doing a search for Polymorph Thermoplastic Granules these were once reccomended by Peter from John Cross Motorhomes looks like good stuff maybe he will be along later to put me right if I am wrong

Yes one could use that but if it gets hot it goes soft, plastic metal or plasting padding might be better and then drill and tap it.

Peter

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You could try using a heli-coil insert. These are easily fitted with the correct tools are stronger than the original thread and not effected by heat.
A small engineering company may supply and even fit them for a small charge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back