Need for levellers? (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My van has to be ever so slightly nose & offside raised. Only then will the shower unit drain completely. Therefore a spirit level and a modicum of experience are required:D

Coincidentally I've just purchased a set of Milenco Triples as my old yellow Fiamma ones are somewhat squashed through breaking up.:(

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
My van has to be ever so slightly nose & offside raised. Only then will the shower unit drain completely. Therefore a spirit level and a modicum of experience are required:D

Ours is the same
I set our van up in the perfect position & then fixed a small caravan spirit level up to show level where I can see it whilst driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We use the spirit level app on the I pad.....not used our ramps at all, to date. As for the shower draining, I found microfibres towels do a better job of soaking up any undrained water than they do of drying my skin. Had to go and and buy two new bath towels in Poland.....cos I threw the microfibres towel in! Horrible things.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I just drill an extra plug hole where water stands!! Anyone know where I can buy a holder for 27 rubber plugs?:ROFLMAO:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
My level (Parked at home not level)
WP_20160831_14_11_02_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20160831_14_11_48_Pro[1].jpg

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
@Enword. I like the look of that - where did you get it?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
We put a glass marble on the slightly textured work-surface in the MH. If is stays still, or rolls away slowly, then no levellers needed. It also shows more precisely which way the MH is tilting.
Gosh, that's a good idea - where did you buy it?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We're parked up on the farm we live at during the week and need full size car ramps under the front wheels to get any where near level. We could move but love it here. (y)

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Gosh, that's a good idea - where did you buy it?
I've led a sheltered life - I hadn't realised "Target Spirit Levels" were so readily available!! (And I have a ready supply of marbles!!)

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Many years ago we had a VW camper and I used a portakabin support as a jack. I could hook it under the front or rear bumper. Once in Devon, on a very steep site, I had to lift the front wheels about 15 inches off the ground to get it level

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Many years ago we had a VW camper and I used a portakabin support as a jack. I could hook it under the front or rear bumper. Once in Devon, on a very steep site, I had to lift the front wheels about 15 inches off the ground to get it level
Must ave ad a BIG step. ?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
Still rather high with a hangover, :cheers: For me anyway!!

Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
Being a solo traveler I have never used my leveling ramps and I dont think it would be easy to use them any way. So I just think if I am level enough to stop me falling out of bed thats okay :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reactions: DBK
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Being a solo traveler I have never used my leveling ramps and I dont think it would be easy to use them any way. So I just think if I am level enough to stop me falling out of bed thats okay :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Well if you want a soft landing when you roll out...let me know..;););)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

I too travel alone... But use mine if need be...
It's not difficult with a little bit of thought...

Eg.. Yesterday I needed to raise the rear of the Moho..

So I placed both ramps against rear wheels...

I then placed my door matt (roughly same length as ramps) at a suitable point below the driver's window - in my case I used my LPG filler as a marker..

Stuck my head out of the window and...

Reversed onto said ramps - whilst watching "filler" move along length of matt..

Moho levelled before tuther end of matt aligned with fill point ...

So using that method - no chance of a "drive-over"... :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I just think if I am level enough to stop me falling out of bed thats okay

Your fridge may not agree.. it will still work out of level, but over time the cooling unit will fail.. and it's not repairable..

new fridge is costly.. ramps are cheap..

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We put a glass marble on the slightly textured work-surface in the MH. If is stays still, or rolls away slowly, then no levellers needed. It also shows more precisely which way the MH is tilting.

I saw this one recommended in a chat on facebook. They put it on the floor of their van then levelled it up. Once the van was level they glued it to the door arm in their van.
It looks good because it is almost 70mm across and has degrees on it.

spirit-level.jpg

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Your fridge may not agree.. it will still work out of level, but over time the cooling unit will fail.. and it's not repairable..

new fridge is costly.. ramps are cheap..

It's actually not a bad methodology to use because generally speaking if the van is level enough for comfort i.e. you don't fall over when walking along the van and you don't fall out of bed then it is level enough for the fridge. There are many schools of thought and I guess it depends on the manufacturer and age of the fridge but the acceptable angle ranges from 3 degrees to 6 degrees. Now, if you've ever had your van on a 3 degree angle you will know that it just isn't going to to be comfortable in any way, as for 6 degrees, that doesn't even bear thinking about.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Now, if you've ever had your van on a 3 degree angle you will know that it just isn't going to to be comfortable in any way, as for 6 degrees, that doesn't even bear thinking about.

I am a fulltimer in a panel van. I have quite often parked on side streets and hillside campsites that state levellers needed and not used them. It all depends on what you get used to. I gave up on levellers back in 2010 and haven't look back. It is one less hassle to deal with when getting to a site or a rally field :)

I can't tell you the angle of tilt, but I am certain it was more than 3 degrees plenty of times and pretty certain I have done over 6 degrees more than once.

The only problem I have discovered is that after I have used a brillo pad on the bottom of my pan or kettle it does tend to make that surface a bit slippy and I have seen pans and the kettle slide towards the edge of the hob.... :confused::eek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am a fulltimer in a panel van. I have quite often parked on side streets and hillside campsites that state levellers needed and not used them.

Correct me if wrong Karl, but I believe you have a compressor fridge, so level not so important.. What do the manufacturers recommend .. ?

@Poohbear

I stand by my previous post.. better level than even a couple of degrees out.. you can do whatever you like.. it's your fridge.

From Dometic Instruction Manual .. 7 series fridges.

CAUTION

Do not park your Rv on a slope for a longer period of time. Absorption refrigerators use a gravity fow system. Being on an angle of more than a couple of degrees for extended periods of time stops the refrigeration and might cause damage to the cooling unit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back