V5C (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I seem to have misplaced the registration document for the motorhome and we go away tomorrow to France! I have a copy of the V5C and receipt for the motorhome from the dealership so have proof that the vehicle belongs to me. Do you think that will be sufficient if stopped by the gendarmes?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I seem to have misplaced the registration document for the motorhome and we go away tomorrow to France! I have a copy of the V5C and receipt for the motorhome from the dealership so have proof that the vehicle belongs to me. Do you think that will be sufficient if stopped by the gendarmes?
A copy and receipt doesn't show you own it ... it could simply be that it was in the vehicle when you nicked it! :D

Seriously though, see my posting #9 on the below thread - ring the lady concerned and they might be able to let you have a temporary certificate.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/driving-abroad-without-v5c-doc.135107/

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for that Mel, but we leave tomorrow morning!

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Good luck anyway.

It would be interesting to know how many members here have ever been asked to produce their V5.
I've been wandering Europe on and off for 40+years in an assortment of vehicles, some very iffy looking, and never been stopped.
Maybe I'll start a poll.

Anyway - I think you're allowed one phone call before they turn that key so a decent delivered takeaway might be the way to go - stale baguettes and Evian - not nice. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We were stopped twice in 2003 in UK-reg car (Iraq war time). Stopped in a small French van for a red diesel check in about 2005. Stopped for a random check in our French reg car in 2014 - not often in our 13 years here.

If a gendarme makes a fuss about your V5 being a copy just tell him/her (loudly and slowly of course) that you have had to return the original to the fonctioonaires for a minor change.

As long as the addresses on your copy reg doc, driving licence, insurance and MoT (if necessary) all tally you should be ok. Just try not to give them the need to stop you and stop worrying - the worst that might happen is being accompanied to the nearest ATM.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If necessary, play the "I don't know' card.

You have a copy of your V5c. You have the receipt showing your purchase. You have other documentation linking you to those two documents, thereby proving that you are the owner and keeper of the vehicle.

If you should get stopped tell Le Gendarme that DVLA wrote to you last week asking you to send them your V5C. If they ask why, say "I don't know, but I took a copy of it because I was coming to France"
I can't see how any Gendarme in France could do anything about it and, even if he/she was the most assiduous, how can he disprove your story.

Lot Lover...... Snap:)

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
So just like in the UK (allegedly!), if they haven't got their tally of fines etc they'll do you whatever the argument!

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Ordered up a replacement V5C. And also offered a temporary registration certificate. Absolutely outstanding performance from the DVLA as the application form was emailed to me, filled in and the certificate emailed back all within half an hour!!

Of course now I will find the original under a sofa cushion!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I bet you have as much chance of being gassed in your van as you are of being asked for it but you know what sods law is

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back