alternative way to meet motorhomers-its working (1 Viewer)

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
A lot of motorhome sites hold largish meets and rally's, usually not local to me, which needs booking way in advance.
I seldom know what im doing next week let alone months in advance.

I created a local group on meetup.com for small meetings locally and in the areas I usually visit frequently ie kent and sussex. Not thinking I will get much response, but wasn't too worried as I don't want to meet huge amounts of people, just one or two would do now and then for tanning or dinner, or play board games. maybe make a friend or two to travel overseas.

it went live 2 weeks ago, and got 22 members already, most local, most travelling solo, mostly female, in different modes of transport. I limited the group to 50 persons to keep the group more personal. I posted my 3rd meet up yesterday, and meeting someone today and another tomorrow who actually lives in my area.

One funster joined, and has already found a female travel buddy to go to Europe with.

This is not an advert to join my group, as you all mostly too far away, and I wanted to meet people in the areas I visit, without planning long in advance.

The idea is you might want to start your own local group. The site isn't too hard to navigate. I had all the wrong settings but sorted it yesterday. It costs about £10 a month to advertise, but you can charge an annual fee to join your group, and or charge to join the meet. I haven't charged anything as I didn't do it for the money.

thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
You do know that with Fun, you can organise a meet at short notice rather than a booked rally? just post on the forum about a possible small meet and you usually get a few people will come along and post their interest in joining you. some of the very best meets are the impromptu get togethers at short notice

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
You do know that with Fun, you can organise a meet at short notice.

Have tried it with not a lot of success. I did the thread solos post your location so other solos can contact you on fun.....only got to meet 3 people, and most solos don't post their location. I still post weekly or so on the thread. Everyone is too far apart, and lengthy travel is needed.

Also did a thread to travel to France because someone else asked for someone to take them. After making all the arrangements, posting on here, and facebook, the person cancelled. Lots of solos are travelling to Europe, yet don't post their location, or want to share a bit of their time.

While in Portugal, I did a post to meet persons, and only met 2 people, who both travelled 8 hrs to meet me. Most who contacted me from fun and facebook, or who I contacted, were spread out all over the country, hours away. I find on fun if you contact a person directly you more likely to get a positive response.

Where as with meetup, because I kept the area small, I was happily surprised to find a solo woman in my area, another female 20 min away, and another 35 min away. 3/4 who joined are within one hr travel from my home, and more female than men joined.

Its not for everyone I know, but its working for me, and might work for someone else.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would like to do a few more short getaways that are easy to get from Kent as everything else involve drudgery going around the M25 which I hate and then miles of getting somewhere nicer. Just a short trip would be nice to fill in between the longer trips.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I would like to do a few more short getaways that are easy to get from Kent as everything else involve drudgery going around the M25 which I hate and then miles of getting somewhere nicer. Just a short trip would be nice to fill in between the longer trips.
have sent you a message with the link to look at.

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
@TheBig1 where do I advertise a possible meet up, cause it hasn't worked on the normal threads. People are too far away to travel hrs just to meet up for a short time. But I will give it a go, if you point me in the right direction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I travel alone touring and intend to
A lot of motorhome sites hold largish meets and rally's, usually not local to me, which needs booking way in advance.
I seldom know what im doing next week let alone months in advance.

I created a local group on meetup.com for small meetings locally and in the areas I usually visit frequently ie kent and sussex. Not thinking I will get much response, but wasn't too worried as I don't want to meet huge amounts of people, just one or two would do now and then for tanning or dinner, or play board games. maybe make a friend or two to travel overseas.

it went live 2 weeks ago, and got 22 members already, most local, most travelling solo, mostly female, in different modes of transport. I limited the group to 50 persons to keep the group more personal. I posted my 3rd meet up yesterday, and meeting someone today and another tomorrow who actually lives in my area.

One funster joined, and has already found a female travel buddy to go to Europe with.

This is not an advert to join my group, as you all mostly too far away, and I wanted to meet people in the areas I visit, without planning long in advance.

The idea is you might want to start your own local group. The site isn't too hard to navigate. I had all the wrong settings but sorted it yesterday. It costs about £10 a month to advertise, but you can charge an annual fee to join your group, and or charge to join the meet. I haven't charged anything as I didn't do it for the money.

thanks
Exellent idea of yours nice to meet up with likeminded solo travellers or travel together-gets lonely after a while on your own -theres a lot of us thinking the same thing just need to make the effort to get in touch ,

OP
OP
camperlove

camperlove

Free Member
Nov 30, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato mwb
Exp
17 years
I travel alone touring and intend to

Exellent idea of yours nice to meet up with likeminded solo travellers or travel together-gets lonely after a while on your own -theres a lot of us thinking the same thing just need to make the effort to get in touch ,

Yes I have read many a comment like yours, especially from men who lost their wives. Very sad time for some of them, having to travel the first travel without their wife. One man is even thinking of selling his motorhome, after 15 yrs solo travelling. When I read too many of such posts, I thought I got to do something about this. AND I DID MAKE THE EFFORT. So I started the solos post your location thread so others can pop in for a while, on their travels. A very slow response, and not many posts. Most are miles away from me. I think most people are miles away from each other, travel time wise.

Why not do something now, and start your local/localish group. ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back